Vlogging a cache or 2......newbie..

Hey guys..

In trying to get more involved with our hobby i decided to try my hand at vlogging a cache or 2.

Not sure if it will be a regular thing for me but i shot a few vids which i will be putting up at some point.

Nothing close to professional or anything.....but if you maybe feel like dropping by sometime and trying to make out what I'm mumbling on about in the vid, i would appreciate it....the link is below..

Thanks

SL

P.s. go easy on me im just having a lil fun with this.  ?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiZp89iTEfvdvkETD0BTYVA

Not to be negative, but I'm a bit worried: Is this the cache you've found where one of the attributes is "not recommended at night" and where in the description it says "Park hours are Nov-Mar 0800-1700 Apr-Oct 0800-1900." ?  I'm not familiar with the area, but if you went somewhere at night where you were not supposed to be I'm not so happy with your video.

• Upvote 1

I would never intentionally go into a park area at night and didnt see any park stuff heading up there. I didn't plan or research this cache and just picked it because of closeness and time.

I knew there were some earth caches further up the road past the gate that you can see in the beginning when i pull in. It has reflectors on it and i thought i was cool on my side.

The cache was this side of the gate and so i got it but i had no idea it was at a park if it actually is located in the boundaries.

I thought past the gate was a no-no area that led up to an old mine because i planned on getting those caches sometime when the gate was open during the day.

My bad if i was in the wrong but i really thought i was good before the closed off area.

While it is OK to spoil any cache on Facebook or almost any service you may use, this may be against the "Terms of Use" you have agreed when registering to the geocaching.com.

You agreed not to: Publish on our websites spoilers for any geocache without consent from the geocache owner.

In the future, I suggest you to get a permission from the cache owners before you make new videos.

Yeah this seems like more trouble than its worth. Why do you automatically assume that i havnt asked permission? I have and the other ones i recorded i have got permission for so yeah......check out the ABOUT section on my YT page.

Im probably just going to remove the vid since im not trying to cause problems. I can live without vlogging.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, sasquatchlover said:

Why do you automatically assume that i havnt asked permission?

If you have the permission you are not causing any problem. The note about permissions was hidden too deep in the profile. I suggest you to add it on every video description.

sasquatchlover, don't let'em get you down. There is a bit of etiquette in vlogging caches - ie, don't do it just to spoil caches - but there are some places on the net that are much less 'accepting' of the practice in general, including these forums (and reddit can be iffy for various reasons as well).  There is a big community of geo-vloggers on youtube, many are quite entertaining, many are helpful and excellent guides, many are inspiring, many are travel-oriented, and most quite dislike blatant spoilers.

I'd encourage you to keep at it - watch some of the other geo-vloggers and you may get a sense of what works and what doesn't, or what kind of style you'd like to adopt.  Obviously The Geocaching Vlogger is a great start.  StardustZZZ does a few great topics, I've been about a year and a half now doing my channel (link's in my signature), GasStationTuna, 3 Happy Campers, and there are many others I'd recommend. The GCNW is a great start.

As for getting permission for the video, there are varying opinions.  Is a spoiler a spoiler in that the person watching now knows how a cache might be hidden? Or in that a particular cache is now publicly spoiled? Some see the term in different ways.  Most accepted is that you don't provide a GC code with what most would consider a spoiler, unless you have permission.  The grey area is showing a cache without a connection to a specific GC code (that could upset the former, because a hide 'style' or concept or construction could be spoiled).  It really depends on the cache too - I mean if you're doing a quick montage of a bunch of LPCs, most people wouldn't complain, heh. But if you're explaining how a puzzle is solved, or giving away the location to a difficult puzzle cache, or showing how a specific high difficulty traditional is hidden - that could cause a bit more controversy.

You kind of get a sense after a while how the community reacts.  The safest way, yep, is to always ask for permission before showing a cache.  But they grey area is something you can kind of play with.  As long as your intent is to make the game better for as many people as possible, and minimizing how much you're spoiling it for some ;) (and I say some because there will always be someone who thinks any kind of cache vlogging is spoiling it)

Don't be put off. I average about 1 moaner to every 100 positive messages I get. I ignore every moaner, not interested. And the positive messages I get are amazing, many from disabled viewers who are unable to get out. One person not long ago thanked me because I put the GC code on the screen and they loved to look at Google earth to see where I was. 

So go Vlog and enjoy yourself! What's the worse that can happen? Your log gets deleted? So what!

http://geocacher.tv

• Surprised 1