Adopted Cache

GoMonky

I just adopted my first cache! Not my first hide though.  But happy to have the chance to be involved in this one now.  GCHQ32 is ‘A branching multi-point and multi-route cache’ as described by the original owner. 
I found it several years ago after attempts over multiple days. It’s the best cache I’ve found so far, not that I’ve found all that many. 
Since then, it has all but died, but now I get to bring it back!

I had the idea of changing to, or at least adding QR codes or similar to the waypoint markers. Does anyone know if there’s a universal app (iOS/Android) that would support this? Not sure I can describe it very well - but what I have in mind is you would scan the QR code, and then it would give you the choice of which coordinate to go to for the next one. Some provide a choice, some are dead ends, and others just send you forward with no options, ultimately ending up the final and physical cache.

If it's the "best cache you've found so far", curious why you'd want to "redo" it different than you found it ?

If you're gonna make it a whole new cache, why not archive it and create new ?

Hasn't been found in four years, may be a good idea to temp-disable it while you're dreaming up a game plan.  ;)

We've been to a couple caches like you describe.  Most using a QR code (I don't use a phone...) also had another means to find each stage. 

All were far enough away driving, and "choices" kept us going in circles (depending on which you pick...) for way too long on some.  

Might as well been a hundred film cans with one being the log.   Okay for locals I guess.   :)

• Upvote 2

Step 1 DISABLE IT!   Thanks for taking this on.

I'll echo what others have said. When you adopted the cache you were sent an email:

Your adoption request has been successful.

You are now the owner of Backwoods Bewilderment.

You can now edit the geocache's details, if needed. Please consider preserving the original character of the geocache and giving credit to the original owner. If the geocache was disabled, you will need to activate it.

Happy Geocaching,
Geocaching HQ

It's old enough that I'd guess the routes for it are NOT preserved as waypoints that are with the listing.  Heck the final may not even be there. 2004, that's two years before the waypoints tool. Do your best to recreate it as you found it as you remember it, and see if the original creator can help with that.

Edited by Isonzo Karst
  • Upvote 4

It looks a really interesting cache and has given me a good idea for a spot I planned to place a cache anyway.

In terms of adding QR codes: I'm not sure. You could do if they were as well as the ribbons, but I'm not sure how you'd go about doing so. I'm less sure that replacing the ribbons with QR codes would be a great idea - but I don't think this is your intention either.

In terms of QR codes, you can create codes which can be scanned but don't require network access - i.e. the code is in the QR code itself rather than requiring access to a web site. That would be the only viable approach I'd think. As far as i can tell, any QR scanning app can work those out without a need for anything platform specific. I've used them in work for hiding information and they do seem to work on a wide variety of phones.

My idea never was to change the theme or  method of finding this cache as some seemed to think.  Just thought that QR codes might be a fun alternative to the ribbons.  I’ve found some more threads about QR codes too, so I’m not the first.  I’ll keep working on it though, and plan to add tags with the codes for those that do use a smartphone either in place of or along with a GPSr. If nothing else, it could save someone some time by them not having to manually enter each new set of coordinates. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, GoMonky said:

My idea never was to change the theme or  method of finding this cache as some seemed to think.  Just thought that QR codes might be a fun alternative to the ribbons.  I’ve found some more threads about QR codes too, so I’m not the first.  I’ll keep working on it though, and plan to add tags with the codes for those that do use a smartphone either in place of or along with a GPSr. If nothing else, it could save someone some time by them not having to manually enter each new set of coordinates. 

Kudos for disabling your adopted cache until it's ready to go again.

Doubling up with QR codes plus ribbons is a good idea. I've seen multis where the QR codes deteriorated and were unscannable. So having a back up is a good idea. 

• Helpful 1