Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
humboldt flier

? HUHHHH ? Travelers Meet and Greet Events

9 hours ago, Touchstone said:

If you intent is to meet some local cachers at these ports of call, the obvious solution is to contact them and see if they'd be willing to Host an Event when you are in the area.  If they don't, then it sounds like the Reviewers impression of the Events was correct in the first place.

That sounds good in theory, but in practice, I’d be very uncomfortable asking a stranger to arrange an event to welcome me to their country.  Just seems a bit presumptuous.

I definitely recommend joining any local Facebook groups, to gauge the feeling, ask advice, and so on.  Who knows... if a reviewer pushes back, you may be able to persuade them there is enough interest from the local community.  And if that doesn’t work, tell your new ‘friends’ the sorry tale, and maybe one of them will step in to host an event for you.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, ScoutrP said:

I'm not quite getting the whole idea of not being able to host events at multiple ports of call on a Cruise vacation.

A couple of the issues that have come up with port of call events:

- The event is located on private resort property, or in an airport or ship terminal, that is only accessible by ticketed passengers and ship/airline/whatever employees.

- The ship or plane is late.  Magically, of course, the event time is changed to accommodate the host.

And, of course,

- The events are only logged by the same cachers who are traveling with the host, or even only by a single cacher, the host.  It's hard to conclude that the intent was ever truly anything other than to have a guaranteed smiley, because events are now the only types of cache one can both own and log.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2

I don't get why people need to host events at ports of call or in airports during layovers other than trying to get another smiley. Sure, I've hosted events on vacation before, but always at places where I knew there would be other cachers. I'd not hosted an event in Iran or Ethiopia, and won't be hosting one in Lebanon later this year because for me it's about meeting other people. What's the point of an event if the chance of meeting other people is very slim? Asking this to people who think those kind of events are fine.

I've cruised to many foreign ports and visited many cities. I would never consider holding  an event on spec where someone may or may not turn up. Instead, before I travel I search for events coinciding with my visit. The planets have, so far, only aligned once about four years ago when we found an event in Anchorage. It was in a city park and well attended. Even a some of real live visitors from Germany:D. I've done fourteen ocean cruises and four river cruises and have never come across any cachers on any of them.

11 hours ago, terratin said:

What's the point of an event if the chance of meeting other people is very slim?

The fact that the chances are slim makes it pretty cool when it happens.

I have hoste events on vacation, and unfortunately a few have had no one turn up, but some have had a few turn up and that was a very welcome turn of events and was a highlight on that part of a holiday. I had an event near in beach in Vietnam where a couple traveled several miles to attend ant that was on Christmas Day morning. Sometimes I will host an event in a country just because there is a very slim chance that I might  find a cache in that country due to a lack of physical caches in the region, and I collect countries.

I think the decission not to publish any event in typical stop over locations or ports, is based on the fact that a growing number of playeres abused the system in they´re favour.

Misconduct lead to restrictions.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 2

On 3/12/2019 at 1:31 AM, Touchstone said:

If you intent is to meet some local cachers at these ports of call, the obvious solution is to contact them and see if they'd be willing to Host an Event when you are in the area.  If they don't, then it sounds like the Reviewers impression of the Events was correct in the first place.

LIke others, I would feel awkward asking someone I don't know to arrange an event on my behalf.

It has happened to me but "naturally", and that was great.    E.g. in preparation to a visit to another country, I ask a CO for some help on his puzzle caches.   He is helpful and we begin chatting, he also gives me helpful advice about where to visit etc.. and then he offers to arrange an event which coincides with my visit.   I was very appreciative of this; but I wouldn't ask someone outright to host one.   

I've never arranged an event myself while travelling; but I don't have an issue with it.    I attended one this weekend arranged by a group of visiting cachers from Germany.     I do always look to see if events are already scheduled when I am planning to be in a location, and I've attended several events like that.

14 hours ago, colleda said:

I've cruised to many foreign ports and visited many cities. I would never consider holding  an event on spec where someone may or may not turn up. Instead, before I travel I search for events coinciding with my visit. The planets have, so far, only aligned once about four years ago when we found an event in Anchorage. It was in a city park and well attended. Even a some of real live visitors from Germany:D. I've done fourteen ocean cruises and four river cruises and have never come across any cachers on any of them.

The planets aligned for me just once as well. I had a 23 hour layover in Zurich on the way to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and had booked a hotel near the airport and train station so I could get to the city to do some caching.  Turned out that the day that I arrived was a WWFM  and there was one at the train station *and* another event in the evening.  I had also arranged to meet a couple of cachers to find a few caches after the flash mob.   The WWFM had over 400 attendees and there were probably 50 or so at the dinner event.  I didn't get back to my hotel until midnight but I had a great time.  

I've had a couple of misses.  In one case I was on a plane en route to Addis Ababa on the day of a WWFM and an event occurred while was in flight.  I was planning on attending a meet up in Cancun when the event owner sent a message the day before indicating that his flight from France had been cancelled.

I've never been on a cruise, but I would probably collect a few more countries in the Caribbean if I did.

On 3/18/2019 at 2:23 AM, dprovan said:

The fact that the chances are slim makes it pretty cool when it happens.

This.

I hosted an event in a foreign nation in the early AM where several people showed up. I hosted a dinner event in Houston, a city of nearly 2.5 million people, home of hundreds of active geocachers, and NO ONE showed up. I say so long as it's not an exclusive location (resorts etc) then who cares. Why do you care if an event host benefits from it? Seriously, get over yourselves for those of you that are against it.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, bflentje said:

This.

I hosted an event in a foreign nation in the early AM where several people showed up. I hosted a dinner event in Houston, a city of nearly 2.5 million people, home of hundreds of active geocachers, and NO ONE showed up. I say so long as it's not an exclusive location (resorts etc) then who cares. Why do you care if an event host benefits from it? Seriously, get over yourselves for those of you that are against it.

I'm not against it, but I do reserve the right to have the opinion that someone is just gaming the system if they knowingly create an event somewhere just so that they can convince themselves that they've found a cache in some exotic location.   

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I'm not against it, but I do reserve the right to have the opinion that someone is just gaming the system if they knowingly create an event somewhere just so that they can convince themselves that they've found a cache in some exotic location.   

If you know that's why they're doing it, then I have no problem with you having that opinion. But I suspect you assume such event owners are morally bankrupt without a shred of evidence, and if I could prove that's the case, I'd have a poor opinion about you. But as it is, I'll assume you only have the opinion that they're gaming the system when you have proof they only created the event so they can say they found a cache at some exotic location, and the rest of the time, you give them the benefit of the doubt. Right?

On 3/20/2019 at 1:38 PM, NYPaddleCacher said:

I have no problem with one owning an opinion. But having an event in an exotic location where other caches may not exist in no way affects you. It's not lying. It's not cheating. It's nothing and doesn't affect you. If events outside of your home area shouldn't be allowed then ban it as a practice. Period. Otherwise game on.

• Upvote 1