How do I find other geocachers in my area?

Electric_Boogaloo

I finally decided to get into geocaching.  Found 6 on my first day.  It's fun to do it alone but it would be more fun to do it with fellow geocachers.

I've searched MeetUp and this site as best I could have not found any groups or ways to connect with people.  I deleted my Facebook account a couple years ago and don't regret that decision one bit.

I'm located in Washington DC, so I'm sure there are others nearby.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions of how to find fellow geocachers?

If I'm posting this in the wrong place, my apologies.  I'm learning.

Edited by Electric_Boogaloo
21 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

Look for the nicknames in the logs on caches nearby... and if there will be any Event soon.

Events are the best place to start playing.

Thanks for the reply and the suggestion.  New question by my noob self, how do I sort the events for my area?  It's like search overload.

Again, my apologies for these dumb questions.

Screenshot_20190204-190650.png

1 minute ago, Electric_Boogaloo said:

Thanks for the reply and the suggestion.  New question by my noob self, how do I sort the events for my area?  It's like search overload.

Using the filter option on the Search page to narrow the Search to Events yielded several nearby Events in the DC area:

image.thumb.png.438fb51ef427a6b1de6d56f3404a516f.png

3 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

I find the easiest way to find events is to remove all other icons from the map and then that will clearly show where the events are being held and if they can be easily cycled to or a bus goes by, or do I need to get the car out.

Thank you!  I think this is the best way for me.  I appreciate that.

Question answered successfully!  Thank you all for helping me with such basic things.

• Upvote 1
On 2/5/2019 at 1:31 AM, Electric_Boogaloo said:

Thank you all for helping me with such basic things.

We were all new at this once.  It's always nice to pay forward to new cachers the patience once shown to us.

DC has a pretty active caching scene and regular events, so you should have no problem meeting other cachers.

Outside of events, you can also check out who has hidden or logged the caches around you and email/message them.