Help with coordinates please

Racuda

I was gifted a Garmin etrex Legend. It uses degrees, minutes and seconds. If I pick a location on Google maps it gives me the coordinates in two different formats. When I put in the one that looks like what my GPS uses I get a completely different spot on the map. Do I need to do some kind of conversion? Here is a screenshot showing the coordinates at the bottom left. Ignore the ones on white at the top. I entered  it as

N35 36.074 W79 54 .218 because the spaces and decimal point is automatically inserted on the device.

coordinates.jpg

Edited by Racuda
error

I'm not sure that I understand your question, but maybe the following Help Center article will give you some answers:  Coordinate formats

If you are entering coordinates into your Garmin device, then you'll want to make sure that you have the coordinate format set to Degrees Decimal Minutes (DDM).  On my eTrex 20, this is set by going to  and selecting  Setup  -->  Position Format -->  Position Format  -->  hddd*mm.mmm'    I'm not sure if the menus are the same on your device.

On 2/4/2019 at 7:42 PM, Racuda said:

I entered  it as

N35 36.074 W79 54 .218

When your real coordinates are N35 36 07.4 W79 54 21.8 you can not enter them as you tried N35 36.074 W79 54 .218

You must use the compatible form N 35 36.123, W079 54.364 which is the first coordinate on you screenshot.

The conversion formula is here  7.4 / 60 * 1000 = 123 so you must enter 123 instead of 7.4 or 074 (don't forget leading zeros when there is less than three digits)

Edited by arisoft

Here's the Legend owner's manual: http://static.garmin.com/pumac/eTrexLegend_OwnersManual.pdf

Page 44 of the manual (pg 54 of the PDF) shows how to change the format of the coordinates on your device. It says:

Position Format -
 Allows you to choose from different grid formats. The default position format, ‘hddd° mm.mmm’ displays the latitude and longitude in degrees and minutes and is most commonly used.