Oregon 7x0 Firmware 4.40 Now Available, 2019-02-01

as of February 1, 2019

Changes made from version 4.20 to 4.40:

• Added support for Connect IQ 3.0
  • Fixed issue where some maps would not draw at high zoom levels
  • Fixed issue with GPS indicator on status page
  • Fixed issue where some highway and freeway map labels were being cut off
  • Fixed issue where some devices wouldn't wake up when in battery save mode
  • Fixed issue where elevation information could be missing from marked waypoint
  • Fixed issue where edit/reverse of a route would only be available after a power cycle of the device
Edited by Atlas Cached
On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:55 PM, barefootjeff said:

Since installing this update, I see that locations in ddd mm.mmm format are showing the minutes to four decimal places instead of three. Not a showstopper but a bit annoying, particularly when editing a waypoint.

FourDecimalPlaces.jpg.ca120957ce90ca26215259b017b2e2fd.jpg

I haven't been keeping up on all of the GPS developments, but aren't there some new satellite features that are supposed to be coming online in the block III satellites to improve accuracy? Is it possible that the 7x0 chips have the capability to use these new features and they're preparing to turn that on (or already have)? With increased accuracy, it could make sense to have increased precision.

2 hours ago, The A-Team said:

I haven't been keeping up on all of the GPS developments, but aren't there some new satellite features that are supposed to be coming online in the block III satellites to improve accuracy? Is it possible that the 7x0 chips have the capability to use these new features and they're preparing to turn that on (or already have)? With increased accuracy, it could make sense to have increased precision.

More digits (more precision) is always better. Those who desire to use only three digits after the decimal can easily just leave the fourth digit a "0", which would be much easier than whining about a non-issue here....

6 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

More digits (more precision) is always better. Those who desire to use only three digits after the decimal can easily just leave the fourth digit a "0", which would be much easier than whining about a non-issue here....

No it's not, not when the best accuracy is 3 metres and three decimal places gives you about 1.8 metres of resolution. Resolution is not the same as accuracy, and in this case adding an extra decimal place isn't making it any more accurate, it's just noise, as well as being more digits to step through when keying in Next Stage coordinates on multis and more chance of making an error when doing that. Likewise when transposing captured coordinates from the device onto a cache page - in my screenshot above, a sleep-deprived me could easily enter that as 32.276 and 16.144 instead of the correct 32.028 and 16.014. Since in the setup menu it's still described as ddd mm.mmm (not ddd mm.mmmm), I thought perhaps it was a bug, and if not, I was hoping there might be a way to switch it back to three decimal places so it's consistent with the geocaching website.

And for the record, I said "Not a showstopper but a bit annoying, particularly when editing a waypoint." Is that whining? I find it a bit annoying, that's just a statement of fact, because it was a bit annoying when I was out in the field keying in the next stage of the waypoints in a 6-stage multi, but if feedback isn't wanted, forget it.

Edited by barefootjeff
4 hours ago, HHL said:

No. It would be more accurate to round appropriate. That way .0276 becomes .278 (which would be shown on older units) instead of .027 (which would be less accurate).

Let me clear that up.

If the user were wanting to enter coordinates for a next stage (or other waypoint) that only included three digits after the decimal, they can just leave the fourth digit a zero.