GPSMAP 66 Firmware 2.50 Now Available, 2019-02-01

Literally the day after I sold mine! lol.

Still keen to see how it goes for people. I’ll probably buy another if I think it will stay powered to maintain a track log.

Luckily it’s sold to a friend, so I’ll be able to have a good look at it, and he might even give it to me to do the update.

I went over and was there for the update. It crashed starting up straight after, but was ok starting up after that.

Not much time to test a lot other than I was most interested in, but the problem exiting the Recording Controls menu (back to map screen) appears to be fixed.

It still crashes browsing the map at low zoom level. Anything from 8km to 20km if Birdseye imagery is enabled.

Birdseye imagery is no longer displayed if you zoom out further than 20km printed on the scale.

Where the ordinary Garmin Topo map could crash it before, it appears to only happen for Birdseye imagery now.

I think it would be fixed for now if they simply disabled Birdseye imagery for any view above the 5km zoom level.

This is the downloaded highest quality sat imagery. For HEMA raster map which is also just a bunch of jnx files that cover all of Australia,

that is displayed up to 12km zoom level, and doesn’t seem to crash it at all.

Maybe it’s just that it’s the high quality imagery that it can’t handle it. The same imagery is used with my 64st and never has a problem, so I’m only comparing to that.

Since the 2.5 update I have had to re-register the device with GS.

Did an OTA update yesterday . All ok

Until

I wanted to update a PQ/list I  refreshed  today

The list didn't show up

(Had already downloaded it to Cachly ok)

Did a Birdseye download ok then tried a live download from a point on the map

Message said device not registered ( or words to the effect...)

Unit says it was.

Deregistered and reregistered again

All lists show up

This Post just for info

Bizarre

4 hours ago, _Art_ said:

Well for some useless trivia:

Unless this is from another GPSr source, from which they recycled the firmware for the GPSMAP 66,

I guess this was going to be the background wallpaper until somebody changed their mind :D

https://imgur.com/a/WlmNaVu

That wallpaper is used on at least one other Garmin GPSr,  but I can not remember which unit(s) at the moment. Where did you find it?

There are similar landscape photos in stock images of Montera, Montana, and Oregon, all demonstrating the camera, but I can’t find that one.

It does interest me, because they should be able to reuse the same programming guts in every GPSr. Evidence that they don’t would be interesting.

That bug in address search they acknowledged in the 2.50 change log is confusing to me. Garmin GPS have done address search with a UI for almost 20 years.

Anyways, I like the pebbles in the Oregon, and water droplets in the Colorado both better than this :D

1 hour ago, _Art_ said:

If Oregon, Colorado, GPSMAP 66 & whatever else are all 240x400 I will switcheroo any or all of them,

and that can be Oregon Whiz. and I don’t have to store imagery if the user provides the fw files lol.

I need a whiz for the eTrex Touch series - I cant stand the forced wallpapers on those - I want to use a plain white BG!

5 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

how do they restrict that? Have you tried putting your own image files in folder with the default background images? Have you tried replacing them with your own files of the same file name?

Not exactly how it’s done, but in a nutshell, yes: https://imgur.com/a/ocmyPt1

I didn’t want to go OT too much in this thread, but committed to another one for Oregons as well (all three fw versions).

That’s not how I left the 64st by the way, just something ridiculous for a demo.

Edited by _Art_

It would be interesting if someone owns this and an Oregon 7xx as well to see of any of Oregon’s bugs are in this too.

It happens the startup Garmin logo screen (which I’ve also found) is named “Oregon 7xx Splash Screen”, and the entire firmware chunk of the GCD file is named “Oregon 7xx” as well.

Not really confirmation they started with Oregon firmware, but may have.

I’ll bet that background is in that model Oregon as well, and not displayed, just like GPSMAP66.

I decided to buy another 66 soon.