Adventure Lab Caches

TwistedCube

On 2/27/2019 at 12:13 AM, Frau Potter said:

In the Geocache hiding guidelines, we link to this Help Center article about Lab Caches.

Yesterday (February 25, 2019) we updated the text in to clarify the rules for logging Adventure Labs. The text says, “To log a Lab Cache, finders are required to visit the location, discover the find code, and then enter the code to mark the cache as found.” This language is similar to what we have added to the guidelines for physical caches and Event Caches over the past few years.

We have received feedback from past and current Adventure creators that they are very frustrated with users who log their experience, but have not visited the Locations they set up. With the most recent launch to geocaching organizations and opt-in participants, we felt that it was a good time to clarify the expectations. There are no plans to punish geocachers for past “couch logging” of Lab Caches. However, we may take disciplinary action against accounts if the behavior continues in the future.

How does this disciplinary action take place 
Does the CO have to report the fake finders - I have just had an adventure lab go live and the first 4 finders are all from their 'armchairs' - though one has since deleted their 'finds'  
In addition - can a CO delete adventure lab logs just as they can on GC 

and finally - as mentioned there are 4 finders of my Adventure lab totalling 7 locations (as per the stats page) (1 finder finding 4 locations, 3 finders finding 1 location each)  - one finder (the one finding 4 locations) has deleted their finds, which should take the log count down to 3, however the stats page still shows 7 finds - why hasn't the deletions been reflected in the stats ?

On 3/14/2019 at 1:21 AM, Hockeyhick said:

None of this would be necessary if people didn't cheat.

Our Lab Adventure has been one of those abused by the spoofers and cheaters sharing the codes with other spoofer/cheaters and to put it plainly, it pisses me off. 

There has only been ONE legitimate find of all of the labs among over 500 cheaters. 

And yes, there is no other word for who they are. No amount of conversational jargon can justify it. They cheat. 

And if I had the ability, I would delete each and every one of their lying, cheatings finds. 

Life is more than just a number...and that number doesn't even come close to the adventure that they missed out on.

Kudos to HQ at looking into this matter. 

Has HQ looked into this and changed anything ?
I received a new ad lab only recently and have just made it live, end of July 2019, so that's 4 months down the road - the first 4 'finders' have all cheated and seeing the stats from yours above - I doubt that'll end there 

• Upvote 1
On 8/3/2019 at 4:00 AM, Deepdiggingmole said:

How does this disciplinary action take place 
Does the CO have to report the fake finders - I have just had an adventure lab go live and the first 4 finders are all from their 'armchairs' - though one has since deleted their 'finds'  
In addition - can a CO delete adventure lab logs just as they can on GC 

and finally - as mentioned there are 4 finders of my Adventure lab totalling 7 locations (as per the stats page) (1 finder finding 4 locations, 3 finders finding 1 location each)  - one finder (the one finding 4 locations) has deleted their finds, which should take the log count down to 3, however the stats page still shows 7 finds - why hasn't the deletions been reflected in the stats ?

Hello - If you would like to report the users who you believe were couch logging your Adventure Lab, please use the email form in the Help Center: https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php

• Helpful 4

OK 

So I discover the program is not efficient in dealing with deleted logs - any deleted logs whether by the 'finder' or ANother (such as HQ) dont get dropped from the Stats page, (viewable by the CO) - in the words of HQ " there is no way to "unplay" an adventure at this point." - I have managed to get all 4 fake loggers to delete their logs - I am taking their word for it and I am quite happy they have done this, but this is not something the stats can verify - which is a shame as the genuine FTF cachers are not given that accolade due to the previous fake logs 

My beef with the labs is that I need data which I do not have on my phone.  At a recent MEGA I was able to find several of the answers to the adventure labs.  I was able to find a wifi spot within the zone, but it was set up so that without the first answer I could not continue to the ones I had found.  So I have not been able to log the adventure labs from my last 2 MEGA events.  I now have the ability to create one, but no way to do them.  

1 hour ago, BluePanther51 said:

My beef with the labs is that I need data which I do not have on my phone.  At a recent MEGA I was able to find several of the answers to the adventure labs.  I was able to find a wifi spot within the zone, but it was set up so that without the first answer I could not continue to the ones I had found.  So I have not been able to log the adventure labs from my last 2 MEGA events.  I now have the ability to create one, but no way to do them.  

Hum according to your profile the last Mega you went was the one in Ontario. I was at that event and you could log the lab cache in any order that you wished.

23 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

Really? L&A?  Did you come and say at the vlogger 'hut'? :)

You sent me a MP about the fact I discovered your tracktable at the event.

Nope I went to the others huts for the lab caches and then the rain stopped so I walked in town for the remaining one. When I come back I talked with geocacher from QC, NB, PEI and NS.

I am behind you on the group picture.

10 minutes ago, BluePanther51 said:

When I tried from the Tim's around the corner Saturday night I got stuck at question 1 and couldn't find a way past.  I cached Sunday with Londonwesty and Hakliva.  

Ah ok it was after the main event.

Just saw this Topic. I was one of the lucky ones to be allowed to create an Adventure Tour Lab Cache. I did mine in "Historical Fort Myers, Fl. The player starts at one historical location (Have to be within 100 feet of the location) and answers a question from what they see there. Upon answering correctly, the next location is given (In a specific order). When the player is within 100 feet of the next location, that one appears on the screen. This goes on for all five locations and the last one says "Congratulations!" Since these Labs do NOT show up on regular Geocaching Maps, I have created a "Bonus Cache" where you get the actual coordinates after you have done the 5 lab caches. This way, cachers can see that cache (Not its actual location) and know that an "Adventure Tour Lab Cache" series exists there. They then go to the "Lab App" and find out where to start. The feed back and comments (Cachers can comment on the Lab Cache site) have been great! I have all 5-star ratings so far. Over all, what I like most about caching in general is that it's a GAME and you can play it any way that makes you happy. If "Lab Caches" don't appeal to you, fine, ignore them. Just "Don't Knock till you try it," you may enjoy them!

4 hours ago, THEG-FORCE said:

Can someone tell me how to change from imperial to metric using the Adventure Lab app on my Moto G7 cell phone? My geocaching.com profile is set up for metric as well as my gps.

When setting up an Adventure Lab the only option I could see was to set the geo-fences in metric units. There is no where to change it.  Therefore, I would assume the app is also reading in meters.  As a player, why would you need to even have access to units while playing?  You only need to get within the range and the phone will buzz when you are within that geo-fence.  It is up to the creator of the adventure to set up the geo-fence range/distance.

My caching partner has an iphone and when he uses the Adventure Lab app, his tells him he is so many meters away. When I use my app on my Moto G7, it is in feet. My gps is in meters, geocaching.com is set to metric. I know meters, but for some reason this app on my phone is in feet. Is there not a place where we can change this?

53 minutes ago, THEG-FORCE said:

My caching partner has an iphone and when he uses the Adventure Lab app, his tells him he is so many meters away. When I use my app on my Moto G7, it is in feet. My gps is in meters, geocaching.com is set to metric. I know meters, but for some reason this app on my phone is in feet. Is there not a place where we can change this?

I play Adventures by using the satellite view map and forgot that yes, you can navigate to them.  The Geocaching app has a built in setting to use metric or not. The AL app doesn't seem to have that feature so it most likely is using the native mapping of the phone.  On my iPhone I have the option of Maps (built in from Apple) or Google Maps when pressing the blue diamond to navigate. My Google maps was set to automatic in the distance units and I get feet so I changed it to km and now when I press on the blue diamond to navigate via Google maps I am shown the distance in km.  Try changing the setting for the map app you are selecting to be km.  

I did 2 lab caches as an armchair cacher for a Mega last year.  This weekend I did 2 more locally, here in California.  I did 2 adventures and received 5 finds for each (they each had 5 locations), without signing any log sheets.   I do prefer to go for caches for the adventure and the experience, not for the cheap, easy finds.     Now I have an invite to create an adventure lab.    But  after completing these 2 I have to decide if I'm going to.  The tool seems really limited... go to a place, answer a question, when you get it correct, you succeed and go to the next location and the question there.  A geofence sets how close you have to get before being allowed to answer the question.  Thats it.  Maybe I'm missing some other features.

I happen to be fairly passionate about Wherigo's, though I know many frustrated users that can't use them.  But so far, an adventure lab  can do just a tiny subset of what a Wherigo can do.  I don't see the point.  I guess I won't create an Adventure Lab yet.  I wish they'd just fix the Wherigo apps, especially on the Iphone, I use an Android phone and it seems to work better..  I'd like it if my Iphone friends could also run it successfully.

• Upvote 1

A couple of weird  things when I did my adventure labs.  When I tried to navigate across town to the start location, it launched Uber instead of google maps, like the rest of my apps.  I couldn't find any way to change this setting on my android phone.  

When I reached the 3rd location of 5 in one of them,  I was having trouble finding the plaque for the correct answer.  After multiple tries, I wasn't getting any feedback, any hints, or any way to skip this location, to go on to the next.  I found that frustrating.  Finally I got it by removing a comma in my answer, and was able to move on.

There is a forum section dedicated to Adventure Labs, with subforums for creating adventures and playing adventures.  I am closing this "catch all" thread so that individual questions can be asked in the proper forum section.  Two good, recent unanswered posts have been split off into their own threads in the Playing Adventures Forum.  If anyone else who posted to this thread would like their post moved to its own thread in the correct forum section, please message me.