Adventure Lab Caches

TwistedCube

This reminds me of all the negativity in the community when Virtual Rewards were awarded to some selected geocachers. I'm not participating in the program (I haven't logged any finds in the past 4 months, so I don't really qualify - I wonder how they selected the initial group of invitees).

Edited by kanchan
typo

Those interested in the Adventure Labs launch may want to read the Blog Post, the Updated Help Center article about Lab Caches, the new Adventure Lab Guidelines, and the opt-in page.  The opt-in page spells out the eligibility criteria, as follows:

"To be eligible, you must meet the following criteria:

Finds: You must have found at least two lab caches.
Ownership: You must have owned at least one cache that has been published within the last 3 years.
Activity: You must have posted a log on a cache within the past four months.
Quality: Your owned caches must have at least 25 total Favorite points (from any time period)."
Edited by Keystone
  • Helpful 2

I have opted in, but am a bit worried about what is said in the blog post

The Adventure Lab app is being soft launched to the geocaching community to augment the existing Lab Cache player and associated Lab Cache experiences.

What happens to the Lab website/player?

The app will supplement the Labs web player for a short period of time (likely for a couple months). Eventually, the web player will be retired.

Unless I am reading it incorrectly, this seems to imply that these caches will only be available for app users.  Does this mean that folk like me, who don't have a mobile phone, will not be able to create or search for these caches?   Can they be found by GPS-only cachers?

47 minutes ago, Gill & Tony said:

Unless I am reading it incorrectly, this seems to imply that these caches will only be available for app users.  Does this mean that folk like me, who don't have a mobile phone, will not be able to create or search for these caches?   Can they be found by GPS-only cachers?

Correct.  When the 'web player' is retired, then the only way to log finds will be via the Adventure Lab app - on either iOS or Android.  The app will validate your location, so you have to be within an area defined by the Lab Builder when logging a find.  GPS-only cachers will not be able to log Lab Caches.

Related thread:  https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/350750-adventure-lab-new-app-for-lab-caches/

Edited by noncentric
added link
  • Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, GO Geiger said:

So, to clarify, is this for ALL Lab caches from now on (like at every Mega event)?  Or is it only for those that form a series, like the Seattle ones near the Space Needle?

Don't have a smartphone, have never needed one to function, not going to get one just for Lab caches.

(Our idea of caching, for whatever type of cache we're looking for, is "load up the GPS, get outside, get away from constant interruptions" - giving the telemarketers an avenue for contacting us while we're outside enjoying the fresh air doesn't fly with me.  Might sound old-fashioned, but my very nice flip phone spends 95% of its life turned off sitting in my car.)

Yes, ALL Lab caches.

Come on and upgrade your cellphone. Like almost everything in life, Geocaching have to keep pace with technology, to evolve, and to survive. Otherwise it will be overtaken by more progressive outdoor game(s). I'm traditional GPSr user for nearly 14 years, but I embrace the change - let's allow this small segment of the game progress a bit.

If you don't want to have smartphone at all, you can still have friends who does. They can let you log on their devide to log the adventures.

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, GO Geiger said:

Don't have a smartphone, have never needed one to function, not going to get one just for Lab caches.

For years I had a cell phone for emergencies only, an old Motorola pull-out-the-antenna-when-making-a-call type that remained off for months at a time.  I upgraded to an iPhone because it's such a great tool.  It's more of an iToolbox and less of a phone for me.

* Anywhere I am, at any rest stop, or any random stop, I can open a geocaching app and see what's close.  So convenient.  On long trips I've found every rest stop has at least one geocache.

* Google maps.  I'd be lost without it.  Literally.

* Using my iPhone 7, I filmed a GIFF entry that was a finalist film in 2017 and was shown on a movie theater screen with amazing results.

* Portable notepad, calculator, stopwatch

* And, most importantly, mobile gaming platform.  

I think I can also make phone calls with it.  I haven't tried that out yet.  :)

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2

One thing I don't understand: what's the point of this? Is it a successor to Wherigo?

The old lab caches were just regular temporary caches, either traditionals or sometimes Virtuals. Thus I never really bothered with or cared about them because they didn't seem worth doing.

It's something new, something fresh, a new type of experience that many people can enjoy.  Like many things in life, we don't have to enjoy everything. Just like there are cache types or hide styles or puzzles we don't prefer, these are another thing that are optionally enjoyable.  Recommended to at least try if you can, but, if your instinct is to say 'no' and/or 'get rid of them', on principle, well...

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

One thing I don't understand: what's the point of this? Is it a successor to Wherigo?

The old lab caches were just regular temporary caches, either traditionals or sometimes Virtuals. Thus I never really bothered with or cared about them because they didn't seem worth doing.

Being app based, you can add a proximity  setting for logging.  This will cut down on people being able to share the codes and armchair logging.

Edited by igator210
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

I thought that "lab" caches were created as an experimental thing.  Sort of a "try it and see if folks like it" kinda thing.

- a precursor to a possible new cache type.

Then somehow they became some odd, bastardized version of "temp caches", that were no longer "allowed" when multiple logs on one event got canned.

Now (to me) it seems to be just another marketing thing. 

Not needing a container, and able to be played indoors seems (to me) just playing to pokemon and similar competing games. 

- Only app players can participate kinda supports that.

Guess as long as the part of the hobby I enjoy doesn't get trounced in the process, I'm okay with that...    :)

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, GO Geiger said:

So, to clarify, is this for ALL Lab caches from now on (like at every Mega event)?  Or is it only for those that form a series, like the Seattle ones near the Space Needle?

(Our idea of caching, for whatever type of cache we're looking for, is "load up the GPS, get outside, get away from constant interruptions" - giving the telemarketers an avenue for contacting us while we're outside enjoying the fresh air doesn't fly with me.  Might sound old-fashioned, but my very nice flip phone spends 95% of its life turned off sitting in my car.)

4 hours ago, Rikitan said:

Come on and upgrade your cellphone. Like almost everything in life, Geocaching have to keep pace with technology, to evolve, and to survive. Otherwise it will be overtaken by more progressive outdoor game(s). I'm traditional GPSr user for nearly 14 years, but I embrace the change - let's allow this small segment of the game progress a bit.

I'm with Go Geiger.   :)

My idea of caching is different to most I've met.    So what ? 

I guess some may even feel the end of "don't place a cache every 600' just because you can" was keeping pace with something...  

May be just me, but I've yet to see another outdoors hobby that's comparable to this one. 

• Upvote 2

Yeah, initially it was a conceptual placeholder for test experiences, only requiring a keyword/phrase in order to 'complete' a task that wouldn't fit or be allowed into any other cache type container.  People already began thinking of it as some other type of official cache type, and wanting them for their stats. But... that's what "lab" implies here - experimental. People started testing loads of different experiences at events, and the rest is history.

Now, in making them official, it seems they're still keeping the "lab" brand, which annoys me to a minor degree :P  Just run with the Adventure theme and own the freestyle keyword-completion concept.  I think that would be much better.  Lab implies to me the wrong idea.  I mean, every new listing is technically an experiment on an individual basis, so that meaning is kind of lost entirely.  But it's nice they're finally 'embracing' the experience/keyword concept officially.

1 hour ago, thebruce0 said:

Now, in making them official, it seems they're still keeping the "lab" brand, which annoys me to a minor degree :P  Just run with the Adventure theme and own the freestyle keyword-completion concept.

I hadn't thought about it before, but yes, Groundspeak should call this Adventure Cache and retain the "Lab" part for further experimentation.

1 minute ago, igator210 said:

I hadn't thought about it before, but yes, Groundspeak should call this Adventure Cache and retain the "Lab" part for further experimentation.

Maybe Adventure Cache is kept in the locker until future integration, once Adventure Labs will (?) turn to be successful. 

5 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

The original intent of Lab Caches was to create a way to experiment with a new type of cache that doesn't have the restrictions imposed in the guidelines for existing cache types.  It seems to me that these Adventure Lab caches are a way to allow users to experiment without the limitation of the cache being associated with an event.  From what I could see, Lab caches had become somewhat of a commodity, something that event organizers could add as an incentive to get people to attend the event.  I've heard complaints from some about GS stifling creatively with it's strict guidelines and the limitations on challenge caches.  These seems to be a good opportunity for some CO's to get creative.

I haven't check current rules for creating these experiences - is there a rule about having physical components required to complete? Because now if there isn't, this gives people the opportunity to shirk proximity guidelines by placing physical stuff pretty much anywhere.  I'm guessing there is some element to where the experience/content can be placed or exist...?

7 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Adventure Lab is the name of the app that will be required to log Lab Caches. It sounds like you are already familiar with Lab Caches, as you said "the old lab caches", so there really isn't anything new except that the option to log finds via the website it going away.

6 hours ago, fuzziebear3 said:

Unless there is typing involved ... then I would rather use a computer/keyboard

One good thing is that most 'codes' are short.  Usually just one word or number sequence, so entering via phone isn't too bad.

3 hours ago, arisoft said:

The blog didn't tell much about components these new Lab caches may have. Multiple locations in predetermined order... oversimplified Wherigo/intercache? At this moment I am calling them virtual multi caches.

The pre-determined order seems to be optional  "Adventure creators may choose for their Lab Caches to be played in a specific order".  A Lab Cache utilizing the "Linear Gameplay" option would mean that each Lab Cache has to be found in order, but there would be a "find" at each step.  5 Lab Caches have to found in order, which is 5 finds.  So, that would be different from regular multi caches that garner one find at the end of 5 stages.

• Upvote 1
27 minutes ago, noncentric said:

The pre-determined order seems to be optional  "Adventure creators may choose for their Lab Caches to be played in a specific order".  A Lab Cache utilizing the "Linear Gameplay" option would mean that each Lab Cache has to be found in order, but there would be a "find" at each step.  5 Lab Caches have to found in order, which is 5 finds.  So, that would be different from regular multi caches that garner one find at the end of 5 stages.

I'm still "lab" free so curious...

Since these things don't even have to have a container, could we now be seeing folks pushing the limits with "linear gameplay" power trails ? 

"Each lab found in order counts as a find" is similar to our old bike trail puzzle/mystery series.  That type no longer allowed by Groundspeak.

- Seems (to me) they simply "recreated" it with a different name...   :)

• Funny 1
1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

"Each lab found in order counts as a find" is similar to our old bike trail puzzle/mystery series.  That type no longer allowed by Groundspeak.

Daisy chaining seems to be the case, I guess. The idea is to verify with the App that a player has visited  a "location". Is this all we know about this matter?

Edited by arisoft
1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

Since these things don't even have to have a container, could we now be seeing folks pushing the limits with "linear gameplay" power trails ?

I guess that could be possible if things were opened up in the future, but I get the sense that things will be limited during this experimental phase. Either each cacher would only be able to hide a limited number of "Adventures", or each "Adventure" would be limited in the number of "Locations" in each one.

27 minutes ago, arisoft said:

Daisy chaning seems to be the case, I guess. The idea is to verify with the App that a player has visited  a "location". Is this all we know about this matter?

Very little information has been released. So far, they seem to be saying "we have this idea, do you want to try it out?" without elaborating on what the idea is or how it would work. It was pointed out in another related discussion that people may opt in to this without fully knowing what they're asking to opt in to, and then later decide they don't want to participate after they get selected and learn more about it. People should be given the necessary information before opting in for this to go at all smoothly.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

I'm surprised about them limiting to 250.   I can understand they want a controlled trial, but if you compare to the AR caches (and logically, this is just another "toolkit", like Wherigo or AR), anyone could hide one.   It has been 1 year, and there are around 600 AR caches.

If you limit to 250 cachers; I suspect only a fraction of those will actually create one.   Many will opt in without knowing what they are signing up for.   

Why not let anyone who meets the criteria create one?  I really don't think there will be thousands.   

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

The original intent of Lab Caches was to create a way to experiment with a new type of cache that doesn't have the restrictions imposed in the guidelines for existing cache types. 

That's great, if anyone actually uses them for something creative.

Anyone recall examples of Lab caches that were impossible as a regular cache - other than ignoring proximity, being temporary, and in some cases being Virtual?

Just now, JL_HSTRE said:

Lab caches that were impossible as a regular cache - other than ignoring proximity, being temporary, and in some cases being Virtual?

The labs we did at the GPS Maze exhibit in Huntsville AL at the U.S. Space & Rocket Center were splendid.  Special use was made of outdoor and some indoor exhibits.  Helped that museum staff was okay with the GXing modifications, and that there were people willing to do a lot of extra work in creating them.  This museum has some very large artifacts on display (a Saturn V rocket, lunar lander... )  Some of the Labs were gigantic, special built to purpose, and oddly, among all the big things, easy to overlook.

• Upvote 3
21 minutes ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Anyone recall examples of Lab caches that were impossible as a regular cache - other than ignoring proximity, being temporary, and in some cases being Virtual?

I've never done a Lab cache but I thought that some of them used some sort of keyword entry in lieu of a physical log.  

• Upvote 2
36 minutes ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Exactly.  They became known not as experimental experiences but bonus event-based..things that give you another find. The name lost its actual meaning and people considered them some kind of official cache type. One reason they're separately counted is because it was initially a kind of mark of "yeah I helped test something". Now they're just another stat.

The best most recent implementation I think of a lab cache was when they used AR (before AR caches were a thing).  It was a legitimate test to see the reception of the experience before making a decision and fleshing it out more. Otherwise, they're mainly just "find this keyword, enter it, and earn a +1" basically.

They were restricted to mega events, which is good, as the intent was to allow people who really wanted to test some new idea a period to try it with a good amount of visibility and test cases, which Groundspeak could also analyze.  But that intent seems to have been lost in place of the Lab +1 mentality.

So, if these are still called "Adventure Labs", then I hope it's treated and considered a form of test-phase for an experience, rather than some final official name for a new type of geocaching experience.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

They were restricted to mega events, which is good, as the intent was to allow people who really wanted to test some new idea a period to try it with a good amount of visibility and test cases, which Groundspeak could also analyze.  But that intent seems to have been lost in place of the Lab +1 mentality.

Mega/Giga events were allowed to create Lab Caches, but there were other instances of Lab Caches.  Historical organizations, community organizations, and universities have had Lab Caches:

They were originally developed to offer private or time-limited geocaches. Examples include business partnerships, Mega-Events, and other community events.

7 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I've never done a Lab cache but I thought that some of them used some sort of keyword entry in lieu of a physical log.  

Yes, players go to a specific location and look for a keyword, number, or answer to a question.  For example, look at a plaque for an answer to a question posed by the Lab Cache.

7 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Some examples that come to mind:

• Gadget caches placed in a monitored location, that cannot be monitored indefinitely and where the gadget would certainly be muggled if left un-monitored.  These gadgets were electronic, maybe raspberry pi or arduino based, fit into sturdy suitcase-type containers, powered by batteries bigger than just 9-volts.  Work through the gadget so a plastic compartment door unlocks, which allows cacher to open door and see the codeword on the inside of the door.
  • Find words on plaques in a community park area, where physical caches are limited because the park doesn't want them there. I don't know the park's reason. Realistically, I think physical caches there would be tough to keep hidden from muggles without putting them far enough away from established trails that geotrails would then be created.
  • Historical society selecting various locations around the neighborhood, with questions related to plaques/signs/etc, where most of the property is either private or lacking any good hiding spots. And if something was hidden so that cachers were poking around, then neighbors would likely become concerned and call police about "suspicious people".

On 1/31/2019 at 2:11 PM, cerberus1 said:

I'm still "lab" free so curious...

Most Lab Cache series that I've seen include no more than ten "locations".  I highly doubt that GS would allow large quantities of Lab Caches for "power trails".

22 hours ago, The A-Team said:

I guess that could be possible if things were opened up in the future, but I get the sense that things will be limited during this experimental phase. Either each cacher would only be able to hide a limited number of "Adventures", or each "Adventure" would be limited in the number of "Locations" in each one.

The invitation specifies that each of the 250 cachers will be allowed to create an Adventure with "five locations".

If the ability is expanded beyond the current invitation, then I'm sure there will be a specified limit.

11 minutes ago, noncentric said:

Mega/Giga events were allowed to create Lab Caches, but there were other instances of Lab Caches.  Historical organizations, community organizations, and universities have had Lab Caches:

They were originally developed to offer private or time-limited geocaches. Examples include business partnerships, Mega-Events, and other community events.

In the Release Notes introduction to "lab" caches,  it says, "This Lab Cache was developed to solve the problem of event-specific geocaches. Mega-Events often require new geocaches to be hidden, but since temporary geocaches are not allowed, the placed geocaches often end up neglected after the event. These new geocaches enable Mega-Events to have their own, temporary geocaches". 

I said earlier that was it's original, intended purpose (to simply replace temp caches) , guess I didn't present it well...  :)

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, noncentric said:

Most Lab Cache series that I've seen include no more than ten "locations".  I highly doubt that GS would allow large quantities of Lab Caches for "power trails".

That may be a good thing...

Since they don't require a container, I was envisioning  "Virtual-like linear gameplay"  power trails forming, just like when folks pooh-poohed away concerns after " Please don't hide a cache every 600 feet just because you can"  was removed.   ;)

3 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

I said earlier that was it's original, intended purpose (to simply replace temp caches) , guess I didn't present it well...  :)

I don't disagree about why Lab Caches were originally created.  Of course, it's not surprising that their use was extended after they were created.

My response that you quoted was in response to thebruce0's post that Lab Caches "were restricted to mega events".  I just wanted to point out that Lab Caches were not restricted to Mega Events.

1 minute ago, cerberus1 said:

That may be a good thing...

Since they don't require a container, I was envisioning  "Virtual-like linear gameplay"  power trails forming, just like when folks pooh-poohed away concerns after " Please don't hide a cache every 600 feet just because you can"  was removed.   ;)

It sounds like the Linear Gameplay is intended to give Builders the option of forcing players to follow a storyline, instead of just going to the various locations in some random order. I think it could make sense for something with a historical theme, like guiding cachers to different locations in the chronological order of the historic events that happened there.  I'm pretty sure "linear gameplay" is happens frequently with Wherigo's.

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, noncentric said:

Yes, players go to a specific location and look for a keyword, number, or answer to a question.  For example, look at a plaque for an answer to a question posed by the Lab Cache.

Some examples that come to mind:

• Gadget caches placed in a monitored location, that cannot be monitored indefinitely and where the gadget would certainly be muggled if left un-monitored.  These gadgets were electronic, maybe raspberry pi or arduino based, fit into sturdy suitcase-type containers, powered by batteries bigger than just 9-volts.  Work through the gadget so a plastic compartment door unlocks, which allows cacher to open door and see the codeword on the inside of the door.
  • Find words on plaques in a community park area, where physical caches are limited because the park doesn't want them there. I don't know the park's reason. Realistically, I think physical caches there would be tough to keep hidden from muggles without putting them far enough away from established trails that geotrails would then be created.
  • Historical society selecting various locations around the neighborhood, with questions related to plaques/signs/etc, where most of the property is either private or lacking any good hiding spots. And if something was hidden so that cachers were poking around, then neighbors would likely become concerned and call police about "suspicious people".

I've seen gadget caches in monitored locations as normal published caches.

Everything else sound like Virtuals.

If Groundspeak wants bonus event caches call them Temporary Caches. If Groundspeak wants Virtuals associated with Megas allow a limited number of Virtuals to be published by people associated with the event. 

• Upvote 1
On 2/1/2019 at 5:42 PM, noncentric said:

My response that you quoted was in response to thebruce0's post that Lab Caches "were restricted to mega events".  I just wanted to point out that Lab Caches were not restricted to Mega Events.

Yes good catch, I shouldn't have said restricted. My intent was to emphasize that mega events were where they gained their visibility and popularity. I didn't actually know they were intended (in official writing) to be usable for other purposes like those listed, so I learned sumpin. =P

Even so, the fundamental intent was the same - containers for experimental ideas that could be universally verified/completed merely by supplying a keyphrase (just as Certitude puzzle cache checkers) which were themselves not necessarily the types of tasks or experiences that could be used for a geocache. That especially allowed them to be placed 'anywhere', such as megas, or specific locations and businesses granted permission by Groundspeak.

On 2/2/2019 at 10:23 AM, JL_HSTRE said:

I've seen gadget caches in monitored locations as normal published caches.

As with all cache types, some locations work for certain things better than for other things.  There are gadget caches that work as 'normal published caches' and don't face repeated muggling, but there are also some areas where a gadget cache contraption would not last longer than a weekend without someone physically watching it, which is what happens at the monitored Lab locations I referred to in my example.

Everything else sound like Virtuals.

One other dfference between Lab Caches and Virtuals is the 'verification' aspect. With Labs, the site/app will immediately credit the finder when they submit the correct code word/number.  There is no CO to validate answers, as with Virtuals.

If Groundspeak wants bonus event caches call them Temporary Caches.

Not sure how "Temporary Caches" would be better than "Lab Caches".

If Groundspeak wants Virtuals associated with Megas allow a limited number of Virtuals to be published by people associated with the event. 

As I mentioned above, with Lab Caches there's no need for a CO or event organizer to monitor the Found It logs and make sure that a corresponding email/message is received from each finder.  I can only imagine how time-consuming that would be with a Mega event where there would be hundreds/thousands of such logs to validate.

• Upvote 1
On 2/1/2019 at 11:20 PM, noncentric said:

The invitation specifies that each of the 250 cachers will be allowed to create an Adventure with "five locations".

If the ability is expanded beyond the current invitation, then I'm sure there will be a specified limit.

I don't remember what was said in the invitation, but the documentation of the "Adventure Lab Builder Tool" explicitly quotes a limit of 10 locations. So power trails are out ;) .

• Upvote 1
On 2/5/2019 at 11:32 PM, Dirkverschuren said:

Do the people who are appointed know already or is there still nobody chosen out of the group of people who wanted?

Just in case anyone is actually wondering, the "selection" (I think the invitation said it would be a random draw) has apparently been done. I got an e-mail yesterday from GS with the subject "You won an Adventure Lab".

Congratulations to baer2006 for being one of the geocachers randomly selected during the first round.

Geocaching HQ has awarded 100 of the 250 Adventure credits. We will award more each week, up until the deadline of February 26. As this is a test, we wanted a smaller number of geocachers to test each week, so we could adjust the documentation or guidelines or builder tool as necessary.

Keep an eye on the Adventure Lab app to see the Adventures as they go live. In addition to the 250 geocachers, a select number of geocaching organizations have been given credits for up to 10 locations. You can see in the app that there is now one active in Maine, "Bangor History Tour."

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1