Taking a Travelbug without Leaving One

KonstantinMMRR

I would like to see opinions about taking a travelbug from a cache without leaving one in return. Quite honestly, I always do. I believe travelbugs are meant to move. If I take a travelbug from one cache, I leave a travelbug in a different cache.

I have seen some caches indicate that you must leave a travelbug if you take one. I avoid these caches. If a travelbug were left for every travelbug taken, then the same caches would contain the same amount of travelbugs all the time. I would like to see various caches have travelbugs at times, and at other times be empty.

Please let me know your opinions. Thank You.

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, KonstantinMMRR said:

I would like to see opinions about taking a travelbug from a cache without leaving one in return. Quite honestly, I always do. I believe travelbugs are meant to move. If I take a travelbug from one cache, I leave a travelbug in a different cache.

Whether I pick up a travel bug from a cache or leave it there for another cacher depends on several factors - none of which is whether I have a trackable to leave in exchange.  I mean, if I'm going to take a trackable from a cache, then I feel fine doing it without leaving another trackable in its place.

7 minutes ago, KonstantinMMRR said:

I have seen some caches indicate that you must leave a travelbug if you take one. I avoid these caches. If a travelbug were left for every travelbug taken, then the same caches would contain the same amount of travelbugs all the time. I would like to see various caches have travelbugs at times, and at other times be empty.

I would ignore these types of "demands" - they are not enforceable and can end up causing trackables to sit in caches for longer than they would without the "demand" stated on the cache page.  Cachers may come along and not take a trackable because they don't have a trackable to trade, even if they could help a trackable in the cache towards its goal. That is unfortunate.

I generally pick up a travel bug if one is there to keep it moving. I don't see it's up to a cache CO to make rules about take one leave one. I would ignore them. If there are several TBs in a cache I will usually only take one or two TBs and leave the rest for the next person. Unless it's a cache that is rarely visited; in which case I would probably take all the TBs to stop them being stuck there. I heard of one geocacher rescuing 7 (I think it was) TBs  from a cache. The cache hadn't been visited in years until they did.

Edited by Goldenwattle
2 hours ago, KonstantinMMRR said:

I would like to see opinions about taking a travelbug from a cache without leaving one in return.

If I have a TB whose "mission" would be helped along by leaving it in a particular cache, I'll drop it, whether I can retrieve another or not.  Likewise, if I can help a TB along, I'll take it, and not necessarily drop another if it doesn't fit with its mission.

We recently found a cache that had 4 TB's that had been in the container for nearly 2 YEARS.  We took them all, and left none, as it seems that is not an ideal place to leave TB's if you want them to travel! (I've gotten a thank you from one TB owner for reviving it!) Other times I'll drop several in one "hotel" without taking any.

There's no rule/guideline as there is with "swag" - follow the missions and goals if you can.

Edited by CAVinoGal
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, KonstantinMMRR said:

Please let me know your opinions. Thank You.

Curious where the idea (it's been around a while...) gets started that trackables should be traded.     :)

Trackables aren't trade items...

If I saw a Co state that "take one, leave one" garbage on their cache page, I'd email the Reviewer that a CO in their area has a ALR on their cache page.

In my area it's handled quickly, and I believe odds are it'll be temp-disabled until fixed in others too.

• Upvote 3
3 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Curious where the idea (it's been around a while...) gets started that trackables should be traded.     :)

I don't know but I like to think that this is a rather natural way of thinking if you're not much experienced with the real life effects of this side-game. So comes the need to emphasize "Trackables are not trade items" because it is not self-explanatory.

Travel bugs and geocoins:

1. Are not trade items. One does not have to leave one in order to take one.
  2. Often have a mission. One should try to forward the mission of the TB if possible.
  3. Are meant to move from cache to cache:
  • One should not take them and collect them (hoarding)
  • One should try to put them into a cache in a timely manner
  • One shouldn't consider months of "visit" logs as acceptable to the trackable owner without direct permission either via the TB page description or direct messaging

COs that have a "only take a TB if you leave a TB" statement in their cache descriptions are in the wrong. The options are to (1) ignore the directive; (2) inform the CO of their error (risky!); or (3) inform a reviewer of the erroneous rule on the cache.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 5
47 minutes ago, TriciaG said:

Travel bugs and geocoins:

1. Are not trade items. One does not have to leave one in order to take one.
  2. Often have a mission. One should try to forward the mission of the TB if possible.
  3. Are meant to move from cache to cache:
  • One should not take them and collect them (hoarding)
  • One should try to put them into a cache in a timely manner
  • One shouldn't consider months of "visit" logs as acceptable to the trackable owner without direct permission either via the TB page description or direct messaging

+1

TB "Taking" is only half of the task.  I take a TB or two only if I have a cache (or two) in mind to place them.  There's a TB story and pictures, and logs on both the cache page and TB page.  And I absolutely never make a TB owner guess my intentions, because I hate it when someone takes my TB and keeps it forever. B)

• Upvote 2

Logically, if you had to leave one when taking one, no one would ever be able to take one!

I would never consider it a trade, because sometimes the ones I have in my inventory don't want to be there, or it's very close to their last home, or some other reason why dropping it there wouldn't make much sense.  I only have one owned trackable in play right now, but I definitely wouldn't want to see it circling around the same town forever simply because people felt they needed to drop something off when they take another.

Edited by Ageleni

Asking cachers not to take TBs is just wrong and those COs should be reminded that they don't actually own the trackables.

However, asking cachers not to leave trackables unless they are prepared to also take one with them (if available) would in my opinion be perfectly proper.

I can understand that these COs want to keep cache inventory tidy so that there's always are manageable number of trackables available.

Possibly, they also run warehouse inventory as a profession.

8 hours ago, papu66 said:

Asking cachers not to take TBs is just wrong and those COs should be reminded that they don't actually own the trackables.

However, asking cachers not to leave trackables unless they are prepared to also take one with them (if available) would in my opinion be perfectly proper.

I can understand that these COs want to keep cache inventory tidy so that there's always are manageable number of trackables available.

Possibly, they also run warehouse inventory as a profession.

We see these Additional Logging Requirements in "hotels" mostly...

Any statement telling others their version on "what to do with" trackables on the cache page is an ALR, and a Reviewer should be notified.   

A "manageable number" of trackables isn't a thing.  If I'm able, I could remove all trackables, and that CO has no say in that. 

In turn, if it was large and safe enough, I could place every trackable in my possession into that one cache.

A CO owns a cache, not the "temporarily visiting" trackables that belong to others :)

Edited by cerberus1
eta...
  • Helpful 1

I was just saying that there's a difference of forbidding not to take trackables and asking not to leave them. I understand of course that neither can be an ALR.

Also I meant that CO does not wish that TB hotel is empty, because then it's pointless cache. He/she may not also want huge inventory. Again, this is

something you can wish for and I totally understand it, but you as a cacher are not obliged to obey.

Slightly off topic: I used to put place some swag in my cache so it would not look so empty. Apparently, people either liked those items  or removed them as rubbish, because every time I visited the cache, there was nothing left but the logbook. So I just quit doing that . Lesson learned,: cachers don't always act like you wish them to.

As for me, I almost never carry more than one TB at a time. If I see one and I have one with me I swap.

It all depends on TB's goal and the safety/loneliness of the cache.

Edited by papu66
added stuff
1 hour ago, papu66 said:

I was just saying that there's a difference of forbidding not to take trackables and asking not to leave them. I understand of course that neither can be an ALR.

Also I meant that CO does not wish that TB hotel is empty, because then it's pointless cache. He/she may not also want huge inventory. Again, this is

something you can wish for and I totally understand it, but you as a cacher are not obliged to obey.

Maybe there are COs who feel their cache was now "pointless" just because it's devoid of trackables.   Odd, but I'd bet it's possible...

But there is no cache type called "TB hotel".  There are no special rules allowed just because a CO calls his cache a "hotel". 

We've had a few issues with trackable prisons, and if a CO mailed me to say their cache no longer makes sense because I emptied it, I'd just move on.    :D

4 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Any statement telling others their version on "what to do with" trackables on the cache page is an ALR, and a Reviewer should be notified.   

Trackables do not relate to the log signing process so this is not technically an ALR but it may be an agenda if the CO asks to do something.

Hmm, I seem to have stumbled on a conversation that I don't know enough about. Where have these trackable prisons been a problem?

How were they captured, did the CO record their codes and grab them back if you didn't leave something in turn? Were/are logs removed?

Basically, I don't see a problem in asking to do stuff. I have seen some COs want me to tell a joke or write a poem or ask about my favorite movie,

but I see most people just ignore these logging requests.

Setting up a prison would fail in my part, because I as a default don't read the cache descriptions beforehand, so I wouldn't know anything about it.

Why would I read about trackables on a cache page, they are completely different systems.

18 hours ago, arisoft said:

Trackables do not relate to the log signing process so this is not technically an ALR but it may be an agenda if the CO asks to do something.

5 hours ago, papu66 said:

Hmm, I seem to have stumbled on a conversation that I don't know enough about.

Actually arisoft, maybe more than one Reviewer would disagree with you:)

Papu66, this link also helps explain a bit better that a CO can't really tell others they have a trackable trade policy.

The prohibition against Additional Logging Requirements is no secret.

If someone sees their valid "found it" log deleted because they failed to trade trackables per the cache owner's wishes, I would disable the cache immediately upon becoming aware of the listing guideline violation.  My note would cite to the ALR section of the guidelines.

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, Keystone said:

The prohibition against Additional Logging Requirements is no secret.

My note would cite to the ALR section of the guidelines.

But this particular wish is not an ALR, it is an agenda. It is not allowed to ask geocachers to extinguishes a forest fire or leave trackables into the cache. For the sake of consistency, you should act whether the logs are deleted or not.

Edited by arisoft
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 2/25/2019 at 8:36 PM, papu66 said:

Setting up a prison would fail in my part, because I as a default don't read the cache descriptions beforehand, so I wouldn't know anything about it.

Why would I read about trackables on a cache page, they are completely different systems.

On two of my cache pages I have in bold letters a request not to leave trackables or swag in those caches, so I guess I'm glad you're unlikely to ever visit them. And no, it's not just a whim or a dislike of trackables and swag on my part, it's a condition imposed by the National Parks and Wildlife Service here for caches placed in their parks. Sometimes the stuff COs have gone to the trouble of writing on their cache page is important.

18 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

On two of my cache pages I have in bold letters a request not to leave trackables or swag in those caches, so I guess I'm glad you're unlikely to ever visit them. And no, it's not just a whim or a dislike of trackables and swag on my part, it's a condition imposed by the National Parks and Wildlife Service here for caches placed in their parks. Sometimes the stuff COs have gone to the trouble of writing on their cache page is important.

Up here you can pretty much rely on your common sense what you can and cannot do. There's rarely instructions specific for cachers except "don't break my cache and return as it was" but those are given anyway.

I have to say here my common sense would have failed :o. What possible reason NPWS has for forbidding trackables and swag?

5 hours ago, papu66 said:

What possible reason NPWS has for forbidding trackables and swag?

Apparently they're picky about what is left in containers on their land.  Here's the NSW parks consent form.  One of the more detailed and restrictive I've seen.

If I had to guess, one or more folks at the head office got concerned about public safety and/or liability issues, and this is the result.  But that's idle speculation.

2 hours ago, hzoi said:
7 hours ago, papu66 said:

What possible reason NPWS has for forbidding trackables and swag?

Apparently they're picky about what is left in containers on their land.  Here's the NSW parks consent form.  One of the more detailed and restrictive I've seen.

If I had to guess, one or more folks at the head office got concerned about public safety and/or liability issues, and this is the result.  But that's idle speculation.

There's a bit of history to this. In 2002, New South Wales National Parks banned geocaches completely on the basis that they constituted litter, and it took many years of negotiation by Geocaching NSW to have that ban overturned in 2010 and the present restrictive framework put in place. My guess from reading between the lines is they were concerned that any other stuff in a cache beside the basic essentials (logbook and pen/pencil) could become litter, and secondly the educational aspect of caching is stressed everywhere (including the requirement to have something educational about the park on the cache page and on a card in the cache) so the negotiators may have been trying to steer away from the "treasure hunt" idea by not allowing any treasure.

• Upvote 1
On 1/30/2019 at 1:16 AM, KonstantinMMRR said:

I believe travelbugs are meant to mov

I do too ...

I play by my own set of rules , but they aren't set in stone .

If I find a TB in a cache which I haven't logged before I will ( help it on its way ) take it ?

If I return repettedly to the same cache I tend to ( SWAP )

If its a TB Hotel I try to look at the missions on  individual TB' s saying that most don't have their mission attached , but thats a different story for another thread , so If I think I can help a TB meet its mission I will take it ,

but its nice to find a TB , in the listed cache that is listed as being in ?

the last word on this is

LOG-UM KEEP-UM MOVIN ,

IF YOUR NOT GOING TO MOVE THEM SOON ( Two ish weeks ) DON'T TAKE THEM , LEAVE THEM FOR SOMEONE WHO WILL , you can all ways DISCOVER them ......

9 hours ago, little-leggs said:

IF YOUR NOT GOING TO MOVE THEM SOON ( Two ish weeks ) DON'T TAKE THEM , LEAVE THEM FOR SOMEONE WHO WILL

Even this, although a good rule of thumb, is not always the rule to follow.  I found a cache a few weeks ago, nice big ammo can at the final of a Wherigo.  It had visitors  discover the TB's that were in it, but the TB's had been in there for nearly 2 years!!!  I took all 4 of them, and didn't leave any; if it takes from April 2017 til January 2019 for someone to come along and grab them, I'd rather have it traveling with me for a month or two, taking photos, and gaining miles than just sitting in a cache for months on end, waiting for someone who can further its mission.

I did get a nice note from one of the TB owners, thanking me for rescuing her TB!  I've had them for a month or so, and will be taking them with me to Arizona next week and leaving them in caches there.  There is a good sized event coming up locally this weekend, with a huge bin of trackables for exchange, but I hesitate to leave them there too.  Besides, all but one has never been to the area of Arizona I'm headed, so they will see new places!  I may just grab a few more to take with me.  If I leave any at this event, it will likely be some newly activated ones of my own.

Edited by CAVinoGal

I started this hobby about 3 years ago and my assumption was that they are supposed to reside in the cache so that they can be found. Being in someones's pocket was supposed to be just a temporary affair. It looks to me now that many just travel on cachers' pockets, visit a stream of caches and are swapped at meets.

I looked at past TBs on my cache and only 10 % of those are currently sitting in a cache. Most of the others are likely personal TBs.

I have been thinking about releasing my own TBs but it seems silly now because it would merely be tracking the motion of some tourists' campers. They don't actually visit many of those caches. Last summer I picked up a trackable that was not in the caches inventory. So I waited for the cacher to drop it but the visited logs just kept coming. After 4 months the TB went silent so then I grabbed it.

My point is that trackables could just as well be virtual now: You could select one to take with you after found it log and the system would force you to drop it after certain number of finds. You meet someone at a meet, you meet all his trackables too. There could be a nice picture associated with trackables, like in those souveniers.

2 hours ago, papu66 said:

After 4 months the TB went silent so then I grabbed it.

Why did you not grab it sooner, to stop these incorrect logs?  It’s courteous to allow a cacher a few days to log a drop, but if I could see they were continuing to dip the trackable as though it were still in their possession, I’d have grabbed it immediately.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, papu66 said:

I started this hobby about 3 years ago and my assumption was that they are supposed to reside in the cache so that they can be found. Being in someones's pocket was supposed to be just a temporary affair. It looks to me now that many just travel on cachers' pockets, visit a stream of caches and are swapped at meets.

I feel your pain when it comes to cachers holding onto a trackable for too long.  And personally, I’d rather not see hundreds (or even thousands) of ‘dips’ in the logs of my trackables.

If I’m temporarily holding one, I’m selective about which caches I dip it in.  I try to show the journey without showing every step of that journey.

I’m far less worried about dropping  trackables at events though.  For one, I seem to find fewer and fewer suitable caches to drop them in.  Two, it does allow others to appreciate the finer ones.  And three, they’re less likely to be picked up by someone who doesn’t get what it’s all about.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:
12 hours ago, little-leggs said:

IF YOUR NOT GOING TO MOVE THEM SOON ( Two ish weeks ) DON'T TAKE THEM , LEAVE THEM FOR SOMEONE WHO WILL

Even this, although a good rule of thumb, is not always the rule to follow.  I found a cache a few weeks ago, nice big ammo can at the final of a Wherigo.  It had visitors  discover the TB's that were in it, but the TB's had been in there for nearly 2 years!!!  I took all 4 of them, and didn't leave any; if it takes from April 2017 til January 2019 for someone to come along and grab them, I'd rather have it traveling with me for a month or two, taking photos, and gaining miles than just sitting in a cache for months on end, waiting for someone who can further its mission.

Well, I claim that what you're saying you did was moving them, so I think you're following little-leggs rule.

But I basically agree with you: the rule shouldn't talk about the absolute notion "soon", it should talk about whether you can move them sooner than they're likely to move if you leave them where they are. Clearly these four TBs were stuck, so almost anything would move them sooner than where they are. And I feel like, in general, that's true for any active cacher taking a TB from any given cache. The times I sometimes pause and leave some behind is when there are many TBs. In this day and age, it can take me a while to find 4 caches large enough to take a TB, so I'm more likely to leave a couple where they are under the theory that the next finder will be able to share the burden so all four TBs will move more quickly.

4 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

If I’m temporarily holding one, I’m selective about which caches I dip it in.  I try to show the journey without showing every step of that journey.

I do exactly the same. I select furthest points on my trip so the TB gets approximately the correct travel distance and/or it makes a nice contour on the map.

I know some don't like to see many dips while some may prefer as many as possible so this is nice middle road. 

24 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

Why did you not grab it sooner, to stop these incorrect logs?  It’s courteous to allow a cacher a few days to log a drop, but if I could see they were continuing to dip the trackable as though it were still in their possession, I’d have grabbed it immediately.

I know I should have just grabbed it sooner. I usually give about a week or two because I'm a slow logger myself. I used to contact players and ask about their intentions about the TB, but I got the idea that people don't want their mistakes pointed out to them. So I was hoping the poor cacher would sort it out and "do the right thing".

Why I brought this up was not to point out that cachers (or my) mistake in the logging. It was just a revelation to me that this whole process is now so automated that people don't even realize that they don't have the trackable in their pocket. Personally,  when I make a dip I'm always sure I have the TB on me at the cache. I don't log it if it's at home, in the car or even worse I don't know where it is.

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, papu66 said:

Why I brought this up was not to point out that cachers (or my) mistake in the logging. It was just a revelation to me that this whole process is now so automated that people don't even realize that they don't have the trackable in their pocket. Personally,  when I make a dip I'm always sure I have the TB on me at the cache. I don't log it if it's at home, in the car or even worse I don't know where it is.

Fair point.  I can’t claim to be quite as honest as you though - there has been the odd occasion when a trackable has only been with me in spirit...

10 hours ago, papu66 said:

I started this hobby about 3 years ago and my assumption was that they are supposed to reside in the cache so that they can be found.

Being in someones's pocket was supposed to be just a temporary affair. It looks to me now that many just travel on cachers' pockets, visit a stream of caches and are swapped at meets.

I looked at past TBs on my cache and only 10 % of those are currently sitting in a cache. Most of the others are likely personal TBs.

Trackables are explained  in the Help Center, or Travelbug FAQ.        

Not sure where you got that assumption that they'd reside there.     :)  

Maybe you're just talking about basic drop/retrieve logs, and not actually residing ?  That's the way we play too.

We have seen instances where trackables  were part of mystery caches , and needed to stay with that cache.

- All we knew of went missing  or traveled to other countries.  :D

I feel the "Visit" log ruined the side-hobby.    Made "dipping" (drop/retrieve on numerous caches) easier to do.

If anyone knows, were there really that many people doing that, or was it the "right" people that asked and got that started ?

- We didn't know anyone who dipped.  None we asked knew anyone either.

Odd that something we heard nothing about was "added" to the hobby, when there were so many other things asked for by many.

Maybe it was regional...

Without pictures, folks don't know if that trackable that's been carried by someone as their personal cache-counter for a year is even still there.

Sheesh...

We've seen more than a few "Virtual" trackables.  It's up to the Owner if they allow that.

8 hours ago, IceColdUK said:

^^^ This.  I , too, am selective about visits.  And I try to include photos if they are relevant to the TB mission (I want to be in the woods, or I want to visit the sea).  Mileage gets recorded without the map getting too cluttered.  Then I drop the TB, someone else retrieves it, and visits every single cache.  Ah, well, I did my best!

7 hours ago, papu66 said:

this whole process is now so automated that people don't even realize that they don't have the trackable in their pocket.

My husband is one that vistis all his TB's to every cache - he just does.  But he, on occasion, will drop one while we are out caching, and forget that he did so; when he's visiting all his TB's that one gets visited too.  A week, or month, or more later, he's reviewing his TB's and getting organized, and realizes he's missing one or two...and tries to remember where he's dropped them!

We cache with our phones; I typically log a draft noting the time and any quick notes to help me remember things for my logging on the website later.  For TB'sthough, I will do a drop and/or retrieve on the phone so the inventory (mine and the cache) is up to date.

8 hours ago, dprovan said:

But I basically agree with you: the rule shouldn't talk about the absolute notion "soon", it should talk about whether you can move them sooner than they're likely to move if you leave them where they are.

I agree, and I knew when I took them I wasn't likely to be dropping them really soon, but in a month or so.  I still felt it was better to take them than let them sit another several months.  In another two weeks I will have dropped all of them, and likely picked up a whole new bunch to bring back to Northern California with me.

• Love 1
On 1/30/2019 at 6:40 AM, TriciaG said:

COs that have a "only take a TB if you leave a TB" statement in their cache descriptions are in the wrong. The options are to (1) ignore the directive; (2) inform the CO of their error (risky!); or (3) inform a reviewer of the erroneous rule on the cache.

I think doing (1) and (2) is the best answer.

Ignore the cache rules if they are not consistent with the game.

Point out to the cache owner that they cannot set the rules for other people's travel bugs.

I don't see why it is "risky" to inform the CO that they are outside of normal practice. What will they do to you? Delete your find? Archive the cache?

Log: "Picked up travel bug rather than let it sit. Did not leave a bug, since there is no real requirement to do so. Cache rules do not apply to other people's property."

As for the reviewers, they don't seem to care or there would not so many caches with these rules.

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 2:17 AM, Dave_W6DPS said:

I think doing (1) and (2) is the best answer.

Ignore the cache rules if they are not consistent with the game.

Point out to the cache owner that they cannot set the rules for other people's travel bugs.

I don't see why it is "risky" to inform the CO that they are outside of normal practice. What will they do to you? Delete your find? Archive the cache?

Log: "Picked up travel bug rather than let it sit. Did not leave a bug, since there is no real requirement to do so. Cache rules do not apply to other people's property."

As for the reviewers, they don't seem to care or there would not so many caches with these rules.

Since the hobby allows anyone to play, there's bound to be a few thin-skinned, unable to deal with anything that might be seen as criticism.   

We had our share...   :)

Reviewers here have stated many times, they will not publish a cache with a trackable trade policy on it.

Those "policies" were added after the Reviewer published the cache (or missed it in a long description).

When a cache listing tells you you "have" to swap travelers (and I have seen those requirements) ignore it.

Per Jeremy and Brian, travelers are not to be treated as swag. They are supposed to travel, and that's that.

Cache owners that "strongly urge" or "require" you trade travelers one for one are in violation of stated policy from the two Presidents that GS has had.

• Love 1

They are called Travel Bugs for a reason. Otherwise they would be Stationary Bugs. 

You are doing the TB owner a favor by moving it along, especially if the geocache is reasonably remote or seldom visited. 

There have been too many TB's held prisoner over the years, this is where your help escaping is needed/appreciated. 

• Upvote 1