Help expressing Lat/Long

dougmargie

Hi, would like to place a geocache at latitude N43.0087 longitude W-89.7484.  Apparently I am doing something wrong because the coordinate is not recognized as valid.  I converted this using Google from the address:  1399 County Highway Z, Mount Horeb, Wisconsin 53572 USA.  Thanks for the help. :-)

There are two challenges here.  The first is one of coordinate format.  You are using decimal degrees and the website standard is decimal minutes.  The second concern is taking coordinates from Google maps, particularly based solely on an address.  This might be OK for an event cache, but it isn't precise enough for finding a hidden container.  The listing guidelines require taking accurate coordinates using a GPS in the field. 

• Upvote 2
22 minutes ago, Keystone said:

There are two challenges here.  The first is one of coordinate format.  You are using decimal degrees and the website standard is decimal minutes.  The second concern is taking coordinates from Google maps, particularly based solely on an address.  This might be OK for an event cache, but it isn't precise enough for finding a hidden container.  The listing guidelines require taking accurate coordinates using a GPS in the field. 

This, and please average the waypoint at least once.

1 hour ago, dougmargie said:

Hi, would like to place a geocache at latitude N43.0087 longitude W-89.7484.  Apparently I am doing something wrong because the coordinate is not recognized as valid.  I converted this using Google ...

Curious,  no interest in finding any first, to get an idea on hide styles, cache types,  and container options ?  

Did you install the app ?  Finding a few may help you understand a bit more in how the hobby's played too.    :) 

Thank you for the help. :-)   I tagged along with a friend a couple times and it was a lot of fun.  Spent several hours reading and looking at the hide styles, cache types and container options on the site.   Thinking about trying it out this summer.   This is very helpful.  Thanks again. :)

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 12:54 PM, RuideAlmeida said:

Try

N 42º 56.070

W 89º 49.315 

This seems like very poor advice, considering the following:

• The OP didn't understand the requirements for collecting coordinates in the field. It seems like they now do, but they could just as easily have used these coordinates in their cache listing, thinking that it was fine to do so.
  • The coordinates you posted don't match the ones in the OP, even taking the different formats into account. They seem to be in the same general area, but are otherwise random (unless you have some inside information about the OP's hide, though this seems unlikely).
  • As a reviewer, you should be setting an example and helping the OP understand how to do things like Keystone did, not enabling a user to do things in an improper way.
  • Upvote 3
1 hour ago, RuideAlmeida said:

I am not.

I stand corrected. I thought from your previous postings that you were a reviewer for Brazil, but I must be thinking of someone else.

PS: Let's avoid direct attacks, please.

None of what I posted was intended as an attack. I was just explaining why your post didn't help solve the OP's issues. I apologize if anything I said came off as an attack.

• Upvote 2
On 1/28/2019 at 3:08 PM, dougmargie said:

Thank you for the help. :-)   I tagged along with a friend a couple times and it was a lot of fun.  Spent several hours reading and looking at the hide styles, cache types and container options on the site.   Thinking about trying it out this summer.   This is very helpful.  Thanks again. :)

Another bit of reading you might find helpful is the "Hide your cache" section of the Help Center.  If you go to that section, you will see a page regarding How to get accurate coordinates (5.1) and another page regarding Coordinate formats (5.2).

• Helpful 2