Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
tyzack4

Which category for this?

Recommended Posts

Hi guys,

Whilst on my travels I come across a lot of the “I ❤️ Place name” tourist signs, they seem to be at most international airports and major tourist destinations. 

I have had a look and I can’t find the way mark category for them, and I’m pretty sure that there must be one.

can anyone point it out for me?

kind regards, and thanks in advance.

B5A763B8-07BB-48BD-BC73-C303B2FFFE00.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post

Do you recall what the sign is about or a transcription would be great. Or if you have a close up, you could post it.  It looks permanent, perhaps Silhouette Public Art Sculptures.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Do you recall what the sign is about or a transcription would be great. Or if you have a close up, you could post it.  It looks permanent, perhaps Silhouette Public Art Sculptures.

It’s a I “red heart” place name..........in this case it’s a BH which is Bahrain. 

It’s permanent and there are at least 4 others in my tiny country. 

I see them all over the world, usually with people stood in front of them getting a photo done. On my travels this year I’ve seen them in Australia, Petra (Jordan), Dubai (UAE) and a few in the UK.

I was thinking that they are common enough that there might already be a separate category for them, but I couldn’t find it.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Actually I was referring to the white sign attached to the base. BH for Bahrain, the sign could be the country crest and a short description. (can not quite make it out)  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/27/2019 at 7:50 PM, tyzack4 said:

Hi guys,

Whilst on my travels I come across a lot of the “I ❤️ Place name” tourist signs, they seem to be at most international airports and major tourist destinations. 

I have had a look and I can’t find the way mark category for them, and I’m pretty sure that there must be one.

can anyone point it out for me?

kind regards, and thanks in advance.

I saw letters like this in the "Letters on hills" category

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Alfouine said:

I saw letters like this in the "Letters on hills" category

 

Yes, I have also seen these in "Letters on Hills" 

Mostly on the first page, seems the category has broaden somewhat.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Alfouine said:

The end of the world in the "Welcome signs" category....

 

this was only a 'work category' ...  joke :-)

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Not too sure, perhaps Unusual Signs category. 

 

OK,  I estimate it the same.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Lately I found an interesting museum in my hometown Vienna, Austria. It's called "Fälschermuseum / Museum of Fake Arts". The museum informs about art forgers, explains the differences between original, copy and forgery and so on. Now I wonder, if I should post it in the Arts Museums category or is it odd enough for the Oddball Museums. Or should I post it in the Superlatives category, because it claims to be the only one of its kind in Europe? What do you think?

 

Almost forgot: http://faelschermuseum.com/ is their (German) website.

Edited by PISA-caching

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

Lately I found an interesting museum in my hometown Vienna, Austria. It's called "Fälschermuseum / Museum of Fake Arts". The museum informs about art forgers, explains the differences between original, copy and forgery and so on. Now I wonder, if I should post it in the Arts Museums category or is it odd enough for the Oddball Museums. Or should I post it in the Superlatives category, because it claims to be the only one of its kind in Europe? What do you think?

 

Almost forgot: http://faelschermuseum.com/ is their (German) website.

 

You probably know what I would do. My suggestion, though, is Oddball. Museums of  Fake Arts are sufficiently rare as to make them legitimately "oddball".

 

2 hours ago, fi67 said:

Certainly not Superlatives; this claim is a fake. :lol: There is at least one more: http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMKWX8_International_Imaginary_Museum_Rheinfelden_AG_Switzerland

I usually prefer the rarer option, so I decided to post mine to Oddball Museums, but Art Museums is just as valid.

 

Fake, or not truly accurate, claims don't preclude a site's being Waymarked in Superlatives. To be acceptable it is necessary only that someone with a modicum of legitimacy has, in (relatively) good faith, made the claim. I've seen more than one duplicate of a claimed "ONLY Such and Such" in Superlatives. I think I've even posted one, only to find later that it wasn't really an ONLY.

 

(We are NOT concerned, however, with PROOF of superlative status, only that the claim is made. For instance, there are competing claims for the shortest river in the world. Each claimed river could be waymarked as long as it is documented. We are not Guinness.) - From Superlatives

Keith

Share this post


Link to post

These piqued my interest sufficiently to examine each one. It seems that they aren't mutually exclusive, in the Waymarking sense, in any way. The Fälschermuseum displays actual forgeries (hence the name), while the International Imaginary Museum points out that "all their pieces are perfectly legal. Only works are copied where the copyrights have expired, the picture format must be different than the original size, and they are clearly labeled as counterfeits at the rear side."

 

Both could be waymarked as being unique without ever coming in conflict with the other as they are distinctly different in their content.

 

Now I'm sitting here wishing we had one of those over on this side of the pond. We don't get much in the way of exposure to The Masters, even fakes. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference, anyway. :D

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Ok, Oddball then. Thank you both. And I would also say that a collection of legal copies is totally different to a collection of illegal counterfeits. The Fälschermuseum not only displays the counterfeits, but also informs about the story of their creators. Unfortunately, it wasn't open when I found it, but I will go there again. I'm curious what else they have.

Share this post


Link to post

I created the waymark http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM10R2X, but I'm not sure which category fits best, if at all any category is suitable. It wasn't dedicated to a person, so it's not a Dedicated Tree. It wasn't planted for the Millenium and wasn't a gift of a foreign country. But I thought that this tree deserves a waymark, so my best guess so far is "Historic tree", as it was planted in the presence of Prince Albert of Monaco. Will that be "historic" enough? Or maybe someone can come up with a category that fits much better.

 

PS: No, I wasn't even thinking about throwing a few shoes on it to make it a Shoe Tree. :-)

Share this post


Link to post

Some good ideas, but the shape of the tree isn't "art" like the Topiaries category is looking for and the sign just tells the "history" of the tree. So, I guess I will leave that tree un-waymarked for now and change the waymark to one for the entire park. Thank you all for your ideas.

Edited by PISA-caching

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/22/2019 at 5:52 PM, PISA-caching said:

I created the waymark http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM10R2X, but I'm not sure which category fits best, if at all any category is suitable. It wasn't dedicated to a person, so it's not a Dedicated Tree. It wasn't planted for the Millenium and wasn't a gift of a foreign country. But I thought that this tree deserves a waymark, so my best guess so far is "Historic tree", as it was planted in the presence of Prince Albert of Monaco. Will that be "historic" enough? Or maybe someone can come up with a category that fits much better.

 

PS: No, I wasn't even thinking about throwing a few shoes on it to make it a Shoe Tree. :-)

To which tree do you refer? The plaque doesn't mention trees, nor does the Waymark, and I see a bunch of trees in the pix?!?!?!

 

Maybe you should have thought "about throwing a few shoes on it to make it a Shoe Tree".

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/22/2019 at 6:22 PM, Max and 99 said:

If I find a news article about that tree I'll let you know.

I'm having a disturbing flashback...

Keith

Share this post


Link to post

Etched in Stone! It's a quotation, is it not? On the bronze plaque I mean.

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 10:43 AM, BK-Hunters said:

To which tree do you refer? The plaque doesn't mention trees, nor does the Waymark, and I see a bunch of trees in the pix?!?!?!

 

I'm sorry for the confusion. I converted the waymark from one for the tree to one for the entire park.

 

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 9:13 PM, fi67 said:

Signs of History or First of its Kind? 

 

A "First of its Kind" waymark (for the park) is already under construction. And I will also create (a) waymark(s) for the bronze plaque.

Share this post


Link to post

My next guess is "Flora and Fauna Information Signs". See http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM10R8M

 

I know that this sign isn't the typical sign that this category is looking for, but it contains at least the Information, that the bark of the tree contains taxol, which is used in many cancer treatments. What do you think? Would that be acceptable for the "Flora and Fauna Information Signs" category?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, PISA-caching said:

What do you think? Would that be acceptable for the "Flora and Fauna Information Signs" category?

Yeah, I think that has possibilities for Flora and Fauna Information Signs. In spite of the other, superfluous (for Flora and Fauna) information, it's about the tree and contains information on the tree. Give it a rip!!! As we like to say when faced with an iffy proposition for a Waynaek: "What's the worst that can happen?"

Keith

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Do you think that the Graves Mentioning a Cause of Death might accept this headstone? It states that proof is not required. 😀

It's pretty clear to me that Mommy dies after being thrown to the wolves!

(P.S. Just a fun post, I know the category won't likely accept it).

 

 

 

 

Patty Threw Me To The Wolves marker Mustang OK (2).jpg

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post

I have a picture of the bust of a police department chaplain that is in front of the local police dept. He is no longer living, so not living statues. Would it go in Citizen Memorials? Or something else?

Share this post


Link to post

A quick search of the internet shows that this was an Eagle project.  I would do further research on this.  As this is an Eagle Project, it is not eligible to be included under the Citizen memorial per the category description.  Hope that helps.

  

Share this post


Link to post

Kyle Bloomer's Eagle Scout Project honors Wally Renegar, a man of faith, service and honor.

Share this post


Link to post

There was a local news story about an Eagle Project at a cemetery. I can't waymark it under the news category. Plenty of documentation online, but none on site that I know of. The above posts reminded me to check. Does something on site need to indicate it"s an Eagle Project? Or is only online sources ok? It was such a good story!

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, iconions said:

A quick search of the internet shows that this was an Eagle project.  I would do further research on this.  As this is an Eagle Project, it is not eligible to be included under the Citizen memorial per the category description.  Hope that helps.

  

I don't see anything that limits Citizen Memorials to exclude Eagle projects. But it is a bust of the man, so it is excluded.

And can't be in Statues of Historic Figures because he's not a historic figure.

There is nothing at the site that says it's an Eagle project, but there are news articles and  other web references, so it may go in Eagle Projects.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hi!

I found an ancient landmark stone:

image to the marker

...and the text for this landmark:

Quote

It is a British military monument stone that military surveyors used to delimit their properties. There are at least about 10 in Old Quebec and as much in Lévis. The "BO" means "Board of Ordnance" and the little arrow was their sign. We found this arrow on everything that belonged to the British army, including cannons.

It was declined to be in the "Signs of history" category. I need help to find a category for this landmark.

Regards

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, Zubulus said:

Hi!

I found an ancient landmark stone:

image to the marker

...and the text for this landmark:

It was declined to be in the "Signs of history" category. I need help to find a category for this landmark.

Regards

 

If you're in Canada, it could be accepted in Canadian Benchmarks.  It could also be accepted in Public Land Survey Marks.  The Board of Ordnance usually surveyed Crown Land and this stone should have marked the boundary between Crown Land and private property.

 

It is a great find!

Edited by elyob

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/3/2019 at 10:42 PM, vulture1957 said:

I don't see anything that limits Citizen Memorials to exclude Eagle projects. But it is a bust of the man, so it is excluded.

And can't be in Statues of Historic Figures because he's not a historic figure.

There is nothing at the site that says it's an Eagle project, but there are news articles and  other web references, so it may go in Eagle Projects.

Read the description, please.
Please do not submit any of the following that would fall into other existing categories. These include but not limited to:
...and then a partial list of categories.

The problem is that waymarkers do not read the category description header - they only read the listing of categories.  I'm trying to be helpful as an officer of the Citizen Memorials and to avoid issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, iconions said:

Read the description, please.
Please do not submit any of the following that would fall into other existing categories. These include but not limited to:
...and then a partial list of categories.

The problem is that waymarkers do not read the category description header - they only read the listing of categories.  I'm trying to be helpful as an officer of the Citizen Memorials and to avoid issues. 

yeah, well ... .this looks like it's set to be one of those "It should be in Category A", "It should be in Category B" fights. I'll just pass on it and use my time better on other waymarks. I'm tired of "discussing" with reviewers on specifics.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, elyob said:

 

If you're in Canada, it could be accepted in Canadian Benchmarks.  It could also be accepted in Public Land Survey Marks.  The Board of Ordnance usually surveyed Crown Land and this stone should have marked the boundary between Crown Land and private property.

 

It is a great find!

Thank's, I'll document this landmark in the " Public Land Survey Marks" category.

Regards!

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Zubulus said:

Thank's, I'll document this landmark in the " Public Land Survey Marks" category.

Regards!

You really should submit it to both. It would make a great addition to Canadian Benchmarks, as well.

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

yeah, well ... .this looks like it's set to be one of those "It should be in Category A", "It should be in Category B" fights. I'll just pass on it and use my time better on other waymarks. I'm tired of "discussing" with reviewers on specifics.

That's fine.  I can only go by what the category requirements state.  Unfortunately, I didn't write them and I am not allowed to change them.  The category rules state what they state - it's really pretty black and white...

Share this post


Link to post

A little help. Which category? I know it's the shape of a musical instrument, melted/bent over the pillar. My husband says it looks like a violin to him. Despite being a marching band/concert band parent for 5 years, I know nothing about instruments! And yes, I do know that a violin isn't a marching band instrument. :)

 

 

DSCN2861 - Copy.JPG

Edited by Max and 99

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

A little help. Which category? I know it's the shape of a musical instrument, melted/bent over the pillar. My husband says it looks like a violin to him. Despite being a marching band/concert band parent for 5 years, I know nothing about instruments! And yes, I do know that a violin isn't a marching band instrument. :)

 

 

DSCN2861 - Copy.JPG

abstract sculpture

 

Share this post


Link to post

Any advice for where this might go? It's an amazing sculpture, all lit up at night. I have confirmed that it does not fit in the Outdoor Altars, which was my first guess. I was so impressed with this outdoor church made of bicycle parts, but now I can't figure out where it might fit. And of course which photos I took might help determine where I can waymark it.

 

Two articles might help shed light on what exact it is:

(Bike Church, about 8 sculptures down)

https://tucson.com/thisistucson/tucsonlife/eye-catching-tucson-public-art-sculptures-and-structures-to-seek/article_b1956e3e-5fc1-11e9-8bf4-5fd129756ccc.html

 

And this article:

http://www.perimeterbicycling.com/blog/2012/09/17/tucsons-bike-church-sanctuary/

 

 

 

IMG_20200103_183350 - Copy.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2

×
×
  • Create New...