Am I able to download "My Finds" PQ to my 650T Oregon?

Mama<3Bear

I've been away from geocaching way too long and decided it's time to get back down to business.  Apparently, in that away time, I've completely forgotten everything about downloading PQs.  With my 650T, connected to my computer, I did click and drag a PQ file into the 650T's GPX file and everything worked just as it should.  When I tried to do the same with the "My Finds" file, it didn't work.  The "My Finds file is a zip file.  I know very little about zip files.  Is what I'd like to do possible?  The reason I'd like to download my finds is that since I've been away so long, I don't want to accidentally revisit previous finds.  If there is a way to load all of "My Finds" (including unzipping a file), please explain in as much detail as possible because I'm not as tech savvy as I should be.  Thanks!

Better than downloading your finds and sending them to the GPS is to use a Pocket Query where you select the option of "Caches you haven't found" located in the "That" box on the Pocket Query creation form.

If you still want to load your found caches, most modern operating systems deal with .zip files directly.  Open the zip file, select all entries, copy the contents to GPS/garmin/gpx directory or folder.

3 hours ago, Mama<3Bear said:

I've been away from geocaching way too long and decided it's time to get back down to business.  Apparently, in that away time, I've completely forgotten everything about downloading PQs.  With my 650T, connected to my computer, I did click and drag a PQ file into the 650T's GPX file and everything worked just as it should.  When I tried to do the same with the "My Finds" file, it didn't work.  The "My Finds file is a zip file.  I know very little about zip files.  Is what I'd like to do possible?  The reason I'd like to download my finds is that since I've been away so long, I don't want to accidentally revisit previous finds.  If there is a way to load all of "My Finds" (including unzipping a file), please explain in as much detail as possible because I'm not as tech savvy as I should be.  Thanks!

Pocket Queries arrive as Zip files, too.  Unzip, place GPX files as GeoTrekker26 mentioned.  The Garmin Oregon 650 can filter by whether you've found caches.  It shows "found" caches as open treasure chests, and (typically) unfound as green "closed" chests on the map and in lists on the device.  You may also craft your Pocket Queries in advance by selecting the filter "[That] I haven't Found", and to load just those.

You usually don't need to load "My Finds" into a GPS unless you particularly want to view all caches you've found, even archived caches, which don't appear in other Pocket Queries.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Thanks everyone!

Since I'm still relatively new to the game, I do like to have "My Finds" listed.  My Oregon 650 does show them as a treasure chest instead of the typical cache icon.  I just needed to remember how to unzip a file.  It's not something I've done very often. I think I made it more complicated than it actually was.

On 1/27/2019 at 11:17 AM, Mama<3Bear said:

A couple of things.

First, due to the < character in your caching name, clicking on your name breaks the possibility of reviewing your profile.  I was going to look at your found-it count to see how many caches we might be talking about in a MyFinds query..

Leaving that aside, how many ARE we talking about?  If it is a bunch, many people will load those founds from the MyFinds query as POI so as not to clutter up their geocaching database on their device.  If that isn't done, you get rather a large pile when looking at the list of "Found" caches!

Last, we don't know what kind of PC you have, or what generation operating system.  Any recent version of Windows will automatically unzip a *.zip file if you double click on it.  Then you can copy the two *.gpx files from the open *.zip to your PC or directly to the Garmin/GPX folder on your Oregon.

Edited by ecanderson

That IS strange.  3Ch per the url being created for me is the correct hex for the "<" symbol, so one would think

u=Mama%3C3Bear

would be correct.

Your url is

u=Mama%253Bear

???

25h is an ampersand!?!

Do you see the same thing for the caching name that i do, with the < in it?

Edited by ecanderson

OK.  Think I see what you meant, though u=Mama%253C3Bear results but doesn't work when I type in a clean u=Mama<3Bear URL into the gc.com profile line by hand, either.

I'm beginning to think that you do NOT see the "<" character in the cacher's name, and that you're seeing something else.  I may have a rendering problem on my browser end of some sort.  Here, the cacher name appears as Mama<3Bear

What do YOU see?

Sorry for staying OT here for so long, but may have some sort of bug that needs investigating.

Edited by ecanderson

Yes Chris, I am seeing her user name as Mama<3Bear.  My previous posts were done on my iPad using Safari.  Clicked the user name in one of her posts and it went right to her profile page.  So I decided to try my PC (Windows 10, Chrome).  Same results - I see Mama<3Bear in her post and clicking the user name takes me right to her profile. 

But I am seeing something odd happen too.  The url of her page shows u=Mama%253C3Bear.  I was going to paste it here for you but when I copy it from the profile page which clearly says %253C3, pasting it into this window drops the 25 and becomes u=Mama%3c3Bear.  Really weird.  Don't have a clue as to what's causing it.  That kind of computer voodoo is beyond me.

Sorry I fell off the grid for awhile...that's really weird that there were issues with my geocaching name.  When signing up, I tried to just have MamaBear but alas, it was already taken, so I used the symbols of "less than" and "3" because, when typing those two symbols together, it represents a heart <3. ❤️  Now that I see it can cause lots of confusion, I'll see if I can come up with a variation of the name that won't be an issue for some users.