Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Mama<3Bear

Am I able to download "My Finds" PQ to my 650T Oregon?

I've been away from geocaching way too long and decided it's time to get back down to business.  Apparently, in that away time, I've completely forgotten everything about downloading PQs.  With my 650T, connected to my computer, I did click and drag a PQ file into the 650T's GPX file and everything worked just as it should.  When I tried to do the same with the "My Finds" file, it didn't work.  The "My Finds file is a zip file.  I know very little about zip files.  Is what I'd like to do possible?  The reason I'd like to download my finds is that since I've been away so long, I don't want to accidentally revisit previous finds.  If there is a way to load all of "My Finds" (including unzipping a file), please explain in as much detail as possible because I'm not as tech savvy as I should be.  Thanks!

Better than downloading your finds and sending them to the GPS is to use a Pocket Query where you select the option of "Caches you haven't found" located in the "That" box on the Pocket Query creation form.

If you still want to load your found caches, most modern operating systems deal with .zip files directly.  Open the zip file, select all entries, copy the contents to GPS/garmin/gpx directory or folder.

3 hours ago, Mama<3Bear said:

I've been away from geocaching way too long and decided it's time to get back down to business.  Apparently, in that away time, I've completely forgotten everything about downloading PQs.  With my 650T, connected to my computer, I did click and drag a PQ file into the 650T's GPX file and everything worked just as it should.  When I tried to do the same with the "My Finds" file, it didn't work.  The "My Finds file is a zip file.  I know very little about zip files.  Is what I'd like to do possible?  The reason I'd like to download my finds is that since I've been away so long, I don't want to accidentally revisit previous finds.  If there is a way to load all of "My Finds" (including unzipping a file), please explain in as much detail as possible because I'm not as tech savvy as I should be.  Thanks!

Pocket Queries arrive as Zip files, too.  Unzip, place GPX files as GeoTrekker26 mentioned.  The Garmin Oregon 650 can filter by whether you've found caches.  It shows "found" caches as open treasure chests, and (typically) unfound as green "closed" chests on the map and in lists on the device.  You may also craft your Pocket Queries in advance by selecting the filter "[That] I haven't Found", and to load just those.

You usually don't need to load "My Finds" into a GPS unless you particularly want to view all caches you've found, even archived caches, which don't appear in other Pocket Queries.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

I agree with kunarion - while loading your "My Finds" PQ onto your GPSr is possible, his suggestion on using pocket queries to filter out finds is a much easier way to ensure you don't seek any you've previously found.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2