Non family friendly (Difficult) cache

Senoe1

Hello everyone,

I have finally created  account after geocaching with my uncle when he visits australia over the past few years. He told me a geocache that required going into the source code of a webpage which has me thinking about making custom made caches that are extremely easy to find but require you to figure out how to open or add yourself to the log inside the cache.
A example would be a custom cash that you cant open unless you read the data from a RFID card inside that gives you a pin code that you type onto the keypad on the outside of the cache that unlocks the cache.

I plan on having hints for people so people can learn while also figuring it out.
Is this allowed as I have seen in the rules the cashes need to be family friendly and not to hard.

thank you everyone

“Family Friendly” generally refers to being suitable for all ages (like not having "R" or "X' rated content). That's different from the difficulty rating which is the “Effort needed to solve and find the cache and logbook at GZ”.

There's a reference here on hiding caches: https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=128&pgid=78

An RFID tag is probably OK. At least as far as not requiring a particular brand or exclusive software. I have some RFID cards and have thought about what I might try. The cards can hold enough text to make some interesting cache stages.  If it's practically impossible for cachers to know that they must use "RFID", that certainly increases the difficulty rating.

For a cache that has a keypad, you need to experiment, or you should look at the threads around here about how to power a gadget cache outdoors (or do both).

Good luck!

Edited by kunarion

It is allowed and there is already an atribute for this purpose. I would suggest to use a changing PIN code so every visitor must read the code before they can open the container.

Here are the rules:

2.18. Beacon caches

In geocaching, a beacon is a device that transmits a wireless message, which can be used to find a geocache.

Examples of beacon devices:

• NFC transmitter
  • Chirp™
  • WiFi router
  • Radio transmitter

If your cache has a wireless beacon, follow these guidelines:

• Add the Wireless Beacon attribute to your cache page. Beacon cache attribute
  • List waypoints that use beacons as physical waypoints, if your beacon is a Wi-Fi transmitter you can list it as a virtual waypoint.
  • Do not state beacon brands in your cache page unless this information helps people find the cache. Make sure that your text follows our commercial guidelines.

15 hours ago, Senoe1 said:

A example would be a custom cash that you cant open unless you read the data from a RFID card inside that gives you a pin code that you type onto the keypad on the outside of the cache that unlocks the cache.

Is this allowed as I have seen in the rules the cashes need to be family friendly and not to hard.

Maybe I'm just slow today, but I have questions about this...   :)

-  How is one going to read the data on that RFID card , If the RFID card with it's info to open it is inside

Curious why you've had an account for two years, but haven't found one cache to at least see what the hobby involves ?

Contents of caches need to be "family" friendly, but there's caches that are on cliff faces, in swamps, great distances, and high up trees involving rope.

• Helpful 1
31 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

-  How is one going to read the data on that RFID card , If the RFID card with it's info to open it is inside

The OP may be still pondering it :).  But one of my ideas is to have an RFID card stuck to the inside wall of a wooden birdhouse.  My birdhouses are lockable.  I don't have to mention "RFID".  I can make it a super evil 5-star difficulty that way!  Muuu-hahahaha!

Yeah.  But in practice, I'll likely leave hints on what the deal is.  An RFID card/tag could be stuck to the inside of a Lock-n-Lock, so people can see what it is.  I really like the ability to lock or password-protect RFID tags.  "Garmin Chirp" can be re-written by anyone with a phone and the free 3rd-party App that allows messin' with Chirp, so my Chirp cache developed text graffiti from Geocachers.  Hi-lar-ious. :mad:

Edited by kunarion
  • Surprised 2
21 hours ago, kunarion said:
22 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

The OP may be still pondering it :).  But one of my ideas is to have an RFID card stuck to the inside wall of a wooden birdhouse.  My birdhouses are lockable.  I don't have to mention "RFID".  I can make it a super evil 5-star difficulty that way!  Muuu-hahahaha!

It would probably be an evil 5-star difficulty until someone figures out that there is an RFID card and then shares that info with the local PAF network (and if it's a puzzle cache, posted on puzzle solving FB groups).