GPS MAP 66 Mark Waypoint Question

On my 60CSx I always cleared all user waypoints and caches before loading on a new file so whenever I marked a waypoint it would start over with 001, as long as I had already deleted previously marked points from the 60CSx.  On my 66 if I mark points 001 through 008 on a hike, then transfer them to BaseCamp at home, I can then delete them from the 66.  But if I do delete them using BaseCamp the next waypoint marked on the 66 will be 009.  I do not find 001 -008 still on the 66 anywhere so I am wondering why it picks up at 009 even though 001-008 are again available.  What am I missing on this?

Maybe they don’t like using the same names again, knowing that 001-008 names exist in another track. In reality, you wouldn’t really confuse the same names in an entirely different track.

Have you tried that auto prefix feature of the 66 and seen what that does? Maybe changing a couple of letters as a prefix for each hike would reset the numeric part.

None of this answers your question, it’s just some thoughts really. I haven’t even marked a waypoint on it myself, but have seen the prefix part in the menu IIRC.

4 hours ago, Cheminer Will said:

On my 60CSx I always cleared all user waypoints and caches before loading on a new file so whenever I marked a waypoint it would start over with 001, as long as I had already deleted previously marked points from the 60CSx.  On my 66 if I mark points 001 through 008 on a hike, then transfer them to BaseCamp at home, I can then delete them from the 66.  But if I do delete them using BaseCamp the next waypoint marked on the 66 will be 009.  I do not find 001 -008 still on the 66 anywhere so I am wondering why it picks up at 009 even though 001-008 are again available.  What am I missing on this?

Your classic 60CSx was used with MapSource, which loaded data from the unit via proprietary Garmin serial interface and allowed you to save it as a unique .gdb file each time.

The decade+ newer GPSMAP 66 is a 'mass storage device', and is intended for use with newer data organization software, such as BaseCamp, which keeps all data from all devices in the same directory, so starting over at 001 each time could be very troublesome. AFAIK, all Garmin GPSr that have mass storage capability have operated this way.

So, to answer your question, what you are missing is that, although both were favorites that worked very well in their time, a Ford F-150 "Raptor" does not operate the same as a Ford Model "T". 

Alas, the next marked waypoint on your GPSMAP 66 will not be "009", but rather "0009". If you desire to start over at "0001" again, simply adjust [Setup > Waypoints > Suffix = 0001].

Edited by Atlas Cached
6 hours ago, _Art_ said:

Maybe they don’t like using the same names again, knowing that 001-008 names exist in another track. In reality, you wouldn’t really confuse the same names in an entirely different track.

Have you tried that auto prefix feature of the 66 and seen what that does? Maybe changing a couple of letters as a prefix for each hike would reset the numeric part.

None of this answers your question, it’s just some thoughts really. I haven’t even marked a waypoint on it myself, but have seen the prefix part in the menu IIRC.

What has me confused is that I have deleted all the previously marked waypoints and also all previously recorded tracks.  So without anything still saved on the unit that has or contains 1-8, why won't it start again at 1?

It's a quirk that happens with these units. There is a way to reset it - it's tedious and I'm blanking on it at the moment, though one way is to do a factory reset, which I don't recommend doing because this is a cosmetic problem and not really an operational issue. If you mark  a waypoint and change its name from 009 to something else, it will then name the next waypoint 009. In the end, it doesn't matter. You mark your waypoints and either change the names on the device or change them in Basecamp later. 

2 hours ago, Cheminer Will said:

What has me confused is that I have deleted all the previously marked waypoints and also all previously recorded tracks.  So without anything still saved on the unit that has or contains 1-8, why won't it start again at 1?

I just explained the answer to that question in my previous reply.

2 hours ago, Cheminer Will said:

Because your GPSMAP 66 is not your GPSMAP 60CSx.

Edited by Atlas Cached