Idea For New Feature

hallwayweb

I would love to see a feature added that is a checkbox that says "Only show D/T still needed" or similar verbiage. This would allow someone to see only the D/T boxes they're missing. It would make it a lot easier on trips or vacations instead of having to search for individual D/T rankings one at a time. Am I the only one who would like this feature?

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, hallwayweb said:

I would love to see a feature added that is a checkbox that says "Only show D/T still needed" or similar verbiage. This would allow someone to see only the D/T boxes they're missing. It would make it a lot easier on trips or vacations instead of having to search for individual D/T rankings one at a time. Am I the only one who would like this feature?

If you ever visit Project GC, they have a feature that will show this information.

https://project-gc.com/Maps/MapMatrix

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
9 minutes ago, hallwayweb said:

D/T Needed? For what purpose? All caches have a D/T before they can be published, so how can the D/T be needed?

4 hours ago, hallwayweb said:

Is it really that difficult to look at your profile stat grids to see what's needed to fill 'em ?

Third-party sites that cater to stat folks have functions you may be looking for.   :)

Seems (to me) that when a partnered site already has a function that some are requesting,  odds are unless it benefits this site in some way, they're gonna let that third-party site handle it.   

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Seems (to me) that when a partnered site already has a function that some are requesting,  odds are unless it benefits this site in some way, they're gonna let that third-party site handle it.  

That certainly makes sense for some things.   I have in the past suggested that GS should replace their Statistics page with a feed from project-gc or other partner.

Let project-gc collect and manage statistics so that it's code that GS developers don't have to maintain so they can work on other things.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

That certainly makes sense for some things.   I have in the past suggested that GS should replace their Statistics page with a feed from project-gc or other partner.

Let project-gc collect and manage statistics so that it's code that GS developers don't have to maintain so they can work on other things.

A very good idea, but I'm sure you know as well as I do that this boat has sailed: the current statistics page was added because there was a popular external source for statistics, and GS wanted in on the action.

2 hours ago, dprovan said:

A very good idea, but I'm sure you know as well as I do that this boat has sailed: the current statistics page was added because there was a popular external source for statistics, and GS wanted in on the action.

I don't know when the current statistic page was created, but their API partnership program has been in place for a few years.  As an API developer (and consumer) myself,  one of the primary benefits is to allow partnering systems to integrate seamlessly, rather than create application silos that are competing with each other.  

On 1/24/2019 at 8:31 PM, NYPaddleCacher said:
On 1/24/2019 at 6:19 PM, dprovan said:

I don't know when the current statistic page was created, but their API partnership program has been in place for a few years.  As an API developer (and consumer) myself,  one of the primary benefits is to allow partnering systems to integrate seamlessly, rather than create application silos that are competing with each other.

The statistics tab appears to have been added in December 2010, in the same round of updates that added favorite points and a map update.

I haven't found a release notes post that specifically confirms, but as I recall, the statistics tab is the result of partnership/collaboration between Groundspeak and mygeocachingprofile.com - demonstrated by the identical regional maps and color scheme. 

I don't view the addition of the statistics tab as Groundspeak getting "in on the action" so much, more as adding site content that had been often requested, but maybe I'm reading something into @dprovan's comment that ain't there.

4 hours ago, hzoi said:

The statistics tab appears to have been added in December 2010, in the same round of updates that added favorite points and a map update.

I haven't found a release notes post that specifically confirms, but as I recall, the statistics tab is the result of partnership/collaboration between Groundspeak and mygeocachingprofile.com - demonstrated by the identical regional maps and color scheme. 

I don't view the addition of the statistics tab as Groundspeak getting "in on the action" so much, more as adding site content that had been often requested, but maybe I'm reading something into @dprovan's comment that ain't there.

Although I created an account on mygeocachingprofile.com I initially used the GSAK FindStatsGen macro (which was originally created in 2007) and then migrated to project-gc.  I updated my mygeocachingprofile page and the maps have improved significantly there.   Initially, the sites may have used identical maps but it doesn't seem like the partnership/collaboration included updating the GS Statistics page with improvements that have been made on mygeocachingprofile.com.   Over on mygeocachingprofile.com the maps include separate maps for the US and Canada, as well as a map of Central American and one for the Caribbean.  

Mygeocachingprofile.com,  the GSAK stats generation Macro, and project-gc all provide much more robust statistics than are available on the geocaching.com Statistics page.  What I had in mind was to provide a page on the GS profile management which allows one to select one of these three partners to provide content for the statistics tab.  Currently many users will use one of those three sites for managing their stats (all three are very customizable by the end user as well), and then include some boilerplate HTML on the main tab of their profile (the Bio section).  Instead,  if a user on the GS site merely selected which of these sites they wanted to use, the GS site could just generate the HTML used to render the stats on the Statistics tab.  That way, the GS user can choose where they manage statistics, and have them appear on the Statistics tab instead of on the Bio page.

• Upvote 2
29 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Mygeocachingprofile.com,  the GSAK stats generation Macro, and project-gc all provide much more robust statistics than are available on the geocaching.com Statistics page.  What I had in mind was to provide a page on the GS profile management which allows one to select one of these three partners to provide content for the statistics tab.  Currently many users will use one of those three sites for managing their stats (all three are very customizable by the end user as well), and then include some boilerplate HTML on the main tab of their profile (the Bio section).  Instead,  if a user on the GS site merely selected which of these sites they wanted to use, the GS site could just generate the HTML used to render the stats on the Statistics tab.  That way, the GS user can choose where they manage statistics, and have them appear on the Statistics tab instead of on the Bio page.

Yes, I like this idea!

16 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:
17 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Yes, I like this idea!

I created a feature request on the bugs and feature request section.   Anyone that wants to comment on this suggestion should post there.