YES or NO

little-leggs

15 hours ago, little-leggs said:

should it be allowed

Concerning to TBs, there are no sctrict guidelines and you can attached them almost to anything... tattoos with the code, by instance.

When I give any of those Community Volunteer Travel Tags, I suggest they are taken to Events instead of just drop them inside any container, but the owner will do whatever.

Lets suppose this owner loves to go fishing with the friends (that may also be geocachers). Using a hook is a logic choice for a trackable... but as with everything in life, we must have good sense, of course.

My answer will be: YES... but keep it out of children.

Edited by RuideAlmeida
  • Surprised 1

Someone will probably do something like that. The issue is when this gets into a cache mixed with swag and TBs. One swipe of a hand and you've got an issue. I think that's the concern. Not so much if there's something ethically wrong with the hook as an item, but the general safety. By saying everyone just needs to be individually safe, you're projecting that level of caution to any aspect of the game where the item reside unknowingly. That's a little extreme...

Of course, I don't think it can be stopped; there's no review process for attached TB items. So I'd say whether it's "allowed" isn't answerable. But I wouldn't be surprised if some bold geocacher who found this were to either A] remove the hook, B] snip the points, or C] as above do some kind of shrink wrap to dull the hook.

I mean, the argument for this could be made for a keyring of pins and needles. Why not? Especially if it has meaning to the owner?

It's just a matter of thinking of general safety, especially with so many kids playing the swag game.

3 hours ago, RuideAlmeida said:

there are no sctrict guidelines

I think its time for some form of advice ?

like that given for what items ( NOT ) to leave in a cache as swag / swaps 

food items

knifes ( blades )

drugs 

explosives ( ammo - fireworks ) 

I for one don't think its a good item to attach to a TB , so NO 

I started caching with two small children and they enjoyed opening the cache's to see what was in side , ( to swap ) I really wouldn't like to think what would happen if this was in a cache mixed in with all the other random swap items ,

p.s both are in their teens now with their own geo loggin's 

51 minutes ago, little-leggs said:

I really wouldn't like to think what would happen if this was in a cache mixed in with all the other random swap items...

Probably you missed my point.

You said you saw this trackable in a gallery... not inside any cache container, right?

When I give one of these Volunteer Travel Tags, I suggest that the owner would take it to Events, instead of just dropping, and I think that most of the other volunteers act accordingly. So in my view (and hope), this trackable will be only for Discovery... curtailing most of the envolved risks of handling a hook.

Leaving a hook inside a container is always a NO... attached to a trackable or otherwise.

Edited by RuideAlmeida
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

Leaving a hook inside a container is always a NO... attached to a trackable or otherwise.

your right , only seen in the gallery ?

and NOT in a cache 
I'd like to think , your idea is what is going to happen , and its for discovering only , and not to be set free .

again 

time for the guide lines to be updated to give an idea what not to attach to your TB's , like the advice given as to what not to leave in a cache , not that new cacher's read the advice and still leave , sweets , dog treats , lighters , etc

23 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

I don't see any harm in adding a bit of a tutorial/guideline for items that could be used as objects that travel, just like guidelines about what should be left in cache containers.  Can't be enforced, but more like a 101 etiquette guide

this would make sense , guidance is better than no guidance , it would be a start   

12 hours ago, little-leggs said:

... there's hundreds of different items which could be attached , just not a barbed fishing hook 

Curious, why would a barb on a hook make it a no-no ?  

I have chemically sharpened barbless hooks that will puncture a fingernail...

I've found well-over fifty fishing flies with sharp barbed/barbless hooks in caches. 

- Most were in a tube or baggie, with something covering the hook.

We still have a dozen dull hat bill fishing hooks that look similar to the one presented. 

Since Trackables aren't under the same guidelines as caches, if it seems scary to you,  just put it in a small baggy, put it in a cache,  and move on...   :)

That's what we're syaing though. Just because you find it in a cache doesn't mean it's safe to put in a cache. I've found candy, soap, and food in caches before. Still not good to put them in.  I don't think it's smart or safe to put very very sharp objects in a cache, especially without any form of protection.  it's just safer that way. Can't stop it from happening, but it's just good etiquette, imo.

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

Since Trackables aren't under the same guidelines as caches, if it seems scary to you,  just put it in a small baggy, put it in a cache,  and move on... 

I would have thought that anything that goes in a cache, whether swag or trackables, should be covered by the same family-friendly guidelines.  Unfortunately, I can’t find those guidelines!

If a hook is going to be left, I’d like to think it would be left in a decent bag.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, IceColdUK said:

I would have thought that anything that goes in a cache, whether swag or trackables, should be covered by the same family-friendly guidelines.

this is what I'm getting at ,

guidelines ,

advice ,

call it what you like ,

I think common sence should pervale ,

just because there is no rule doesn't make it okay ?

5 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

It seems very simple to me.

When someone places a trackable (with anything attached) inside a container... it must adhere to the guidelines.

There's no need for separate rules.

Thanks for the link.  Is it just me that can never find what I’m looking for in the help pages?

I was expecting to find this information  somewhere under ‘finding a cache’ - guidelines for trading swag, etc.  Why would somebody starting out check the ‘hiding a cache’ section to see what they’re allowed to leave when they find a cache?

• Helpful 2
50 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

Thanks for the link.  Is it just me that can never find what I’m looking for in the help pages?

Let me guess, because I really don't know, there is no link to the guidelines in the official geocaching app, right?

Edited by arisoft
49 minutes ago, arisoft said:

Let me guess, because I really don't know, there is no link to the guidelines in the official geocaching app, right?

No, I was searching on the website on my PC ... but clearly in the wrong place.  I assumed that there would be guidelines for appropriate swag in the ‘find a cache’ section.

On 1/24/2019 at 1:41 PM, IceColdUK said:

No, I was searching on the website on my PC ... but clearly in the wrong place.  I assumed that there would be guidelines for appropriate swag in the ‘find a cache’ section.

I to looked , and failed to find what I was looking for , so for a ( newbie ) its a mind field , and items just like in the photo are being attached to trackables , as they don't know any better , the point I was trying to get across was , there is a need to educate everyone not just newbies , with out guideline / rules / and a bit of common sense the game will be come feral.

the photo was posted , to see what comments would arise , and to be honest I'm surprised and shocked at some of the reasons to support such and item being attached to a trackable

even after links were posted to the ground speak guidance page   ,