Tips for first time launching a trackable

PineLemon

I haven't been geocaching long in the scheme of things, but I do enjoy the trackable side game.  Here are a few things I've learned:

• Give your trackable a story, and a mission - give it personality.  I'm more likely to pick up a TB that sounds interesting or has a specific purpose.  
  • Ask for photos, even specific photos (pix of the TB next to trains, or inthe forest, or at the beach, etc) in keeping with the story you have created
  • Attach a keychain, a small toy, something in keeping with your story.  Get creative!

As far as where to drop the TB:

• A cache that is visited regularly, and often, and doesn't have a lot of maintenance issues, doesn't go missing
  • A container large enough and secure enough to hold the TB's safely till they are picked up by another cacher
  • Look for "TB hotels" - caches created specifically for moving TB's.  They aren't always ideal places to leave them, but I've seen some that were wonderful places to exchange TB's.

I like to attach a wine cork to my TB's, and send them out to visit wineries around the world.  I have a couple of others with other things attached that I make up a story for and send it out.  Have fun, and have patience.  Be surprised when you get a log  and a photo!

Edited by CAVinoGal

I agree mostly with CAVinoGal, in addition:

Attach a small laminated card (or something similar) with the mission written on it.

Personally I wouldn't choose a cache that is visited regularly, because this is probably an easy traditional. Easy traditionals are often found by one time cachers and cachers who have no idea what a trackable even is. A mystery or multi cache might take longer to be found, but at least the cacher who found it has a bit more experience and is more likely to take good care of your trackable.

• Upvote 1

My trackable is going to be a baggage tag with details of release and date + name of owner. It also has a contacted squate of paper instructing cachers only to pick it up if the know how TBs work. It also asks them not to hang onto them for long. Thanks for the tips.