Traveling

jean1955

I would use a combination of project-gc (PGC) and cachetur.no. Both are API partners. You can use PGC to help find highly favorited caches or implement other filters to carefully identify your desired cache. You can use cachetur.no to help you figure out a route and plan your trip. Both are free to use (though PGC has some features available to paying members only). 

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1

The way I would do this, since it is a long trip, is to go to the map (the old one, NOT the new search thing) and begin at my starting point, choosing the caches along my route at probable stopping points, rest areas, and such. I would place these caches in a list, adding caches along my planned travel route all the way to the destination. When I get the list finished, I make a Pocket Query from that list and put it in the GPS.

My method is slow to complete, but it works for me.

• Upvote 1

I tend to do it like K13 does, but only if I'm doing a "pass through" state, which I define as a state where I'm just passing through with no stops other than gas, food, bathroom and rest.  Rest areas, caches just off exits, ones on either side of the border of the interstate we're driving.  I try to find non-traditional caches (they're what I like) but often they're just simple P&G traditional caches that fill in the state where I haven't cached previously.  I'll load a couple in various points along the way, just in case I can't find the first one I stop at.  That way I'm still covered.

I have two modes for caching while traveling. For opportunistic geocaching, I look for whatever is convenient. I use my phone app for that, but a GPSr loaded with data from "caches along a route" would work.

But if I know that I'm going to be geocaching in a specific location, then I take the time to choose specific destination caches. That can include puzzle caches if I have time to solve them in advance. It can also include multi-caches or EarthCaches or webcam caches or night caches or caches with a high percentage of Favorites points. But I put these caches on a bookmark list, and run a PQ from that list.

Here's a slightly more detailed explanation of how I use cachetur.no and PGC.

1. I create the trip in cachetur.no and generate a route (Caches in trip will show as will waypoints - in this example it is the airport and our hotel)

route.thumb.jpg.43a9f3f23ea8a7a30f6fd94f1e0b9972.jpg

2. Then, I use PGC's "map counties" tool to see what counties I will cross on my trip. PGC will show county lines and shade those I have not found. Using a cachetur.no script, I can overlay my route into PGC

counties.thumb.jpg.22baeec121222c2c8b9ada9255a42dd7.jpg

3. Finally, I click on one of the counties to see the caches placed there. I have a filter set up for this purpose that will show me only those caches with at least 25 favorite points. I have another filter that will show me only those caches that have been found within the last 7 days.caches.thumb.jpg.b8da0134d6546bc2c70df245917b20e8.jpg

4. I'll add the cache to my trip in cachetur with a note as to why it is there (the county, the favorite points, etc).

• Helpful 1
20 hours ago, K13 said:

The way I would do this, since it is a long trip, is to go to the map (the old one, NOT the new search thing) and begin at my starting point, choosing the caches along my route at probable stopping points, rest areas, and such. I would place these caches in a list, adding caches along my planned travel route all the way to the destination. When I get the list finished, I make a Pocket Query from that list and put it in the GPS.

That's how I would do it too.  I'd also supplement that with a smart phone and the app so that I could look up nearby caches in real time when I have stopped some place.  

Pennsylvania to Mississippi is going to be a 14-16 hour drive.  If you want to stop and do a fair amount of geocaching along the way I'd break that up into three days with five hours of driving each day.  Figure that it would probably add at least an hour each day for geocaching, and two more for stopping to eat and take bathroom breaks.   I'd probably add another day for the total drive to make shorter driving days 

Edited by NYPaddleCacher
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, jean1955 said:

I don't have a cell phone nor am I computer literate. I think I can do the route option along with the pocket query thing. I appreciate all the advice and time you all did to help me out. Thank you

Give yourself plenty of time (I hope you still have time before your trip) to practice.  If you get stuck, com back here and someone will help you.  

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 11:31 AM, K13 said:

Us too.  :)

The other 2/3rds will choose caches along a route (the only time she PQs anything) just to get one in a new state/area, but I still enter caches we went there for (higher terrain mostly) manually.

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, NanCycle said:

Give yourself plenty of time (I hope you still have time before your trip) to practice.  If you get stuck, com back here and someone will help you.  

Very good advice.  Good preparation is key to having a successful geocaching trip while traveling.  Once you've selected some caches you want to find, read the recent listings carefully, especially the most recent logs.  It takes more time than you might think to get off the highway, stop and look for (and hopefully find) a cache, then get back on the road to continue to your final destination.  You don't want to do that if recent logs indicate that the cache is most likely missing, unless it appears to be near some interesting spot that you would want to see even if a cache wasn't placed there (those are the best places to hide a cache too).

On 1/22/2019 at 7:20 PM, platoaddict said:

1. I create the trip in cachetur.no and generate a route (Caches in trip will show as will waypoints - in this example it is the airport and our hotel)

2. Then, I use PGC's "map counties" tool to see what counties I will cross on my trip. PGC will show county lines and shade those I have not found. Using a cachetur.no script, I can overlay my route into PGC

3. Finally, I click on one of the counties to see the caches placed there. I have a filter set up for this purpose that will show me only those caches with at least 25 favorite points. I have another filter that will show me only those caches that have been found within the last 7 days.

4. I'll add the cache to my trip in cachetur with a note as to why it is there (the county, the favorite points, etc).

This looked so cool that I wanted to try it, but I can't find how to generate a route. I have put in Start and End points, but all I get is a straight line between them.  Would you please be so kind as to tell me how to get a route generated?  I'm sure I'll have more questions if I continue with this.  

3 hours ago, NanCycle said:

This looked so cool that I wanted to try it, but I can't find how to generate a route. I have put in Start and End points, but all I get is a straight line between them.  Would you please be so kind as to tell me how to get a route generated?  I'm sure I'll have more questions if I continue with this.  

As long as the trip is not in draft, it will auto-generate a route in a few minutes. You can manually force this by choosing Edit —> Order new route calculation. 

On 1/28/2019 at 8:23 PM, platoaddict said:

As long as the trip is not in draft, it will auto-generate a route in a few minutes. You can manually force this by choosing Edit —> Order new route calculation. 

Thanks for your response.  I did get the route generated by forcing it as you explained, but I think I'll give up on this method because I'm finding it just too difficult.  I can't see how to tell whether the trip is in draft, or how to get it out of draft, or how to get caches to appear.  If I ever got to the point of "Using a cachetur.no script, I can overlay my route into PGC". I know I'd have no clue how to proceed with that.   As long as the "Caches along route" option is available, I'll continue to use that.  But thanks anyway.

28 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

Thanks for your response.  I did get the route generated by forcing it as you explained, but I think I'll give up on this method because I'm finding it just too difficult.  I can't see how to tell whether the trip is in draft, or how to get it out of draft, or how to get caches to appear.  If I ever got to the point of "Using a cachetur.no script, I can overlay my route into PGC". I know I'd have no clue how to proceed with that.   As long as the "Caches along route" option is available, I'll continue to use that.  But thanks anyway.

A "small guide" is comming in a series of blogposts here: https://blog.cachetur.no/2018/12/cghove-creates-a-trip-part1/

On 1/22/2019 at 9:20 PM, platoaddict said:

route.thumb.jpg.43a9f3f23ea8a7a30f6fd94f1e0b9972.jpg

counties.thumb.jpg.22baeec121222c2c8b9ada9255a42dd7.jpg

3. Finally, I click on one of the counties to see the caches placed there. I have a filter set up for this purpose that will show me only those caches with at least 25 favorite points. I have another filter that will show me only those caches that have been found within the last 7 days.caches.thumb.jpg.b8da0134d6546bc2c70df245917b20e8.jpg

Just discovered Cachetur and this post has helped me a lot tonight. I know it's a few years old but still works! Now just need to figure out the filters on Project GC. Never really messed with them but now I will. Just wanted to say thanks for the detailed guide!