So lost

patt0329

I wish someone would create one thread that states how to start geocaching with a gps. How to create a list, how to download it to your gps, and how to log it. It would be just one post that people could look at. It is so frustrating looking through 50 discussion threads just to find 1 answer to the ten questions you have.

But I digress...

I finally stumbled on getting caches to my gps. Firs problem solved.

After i log them found in my GPS how do I transfer that "found" log back to the website?

Is your GPS a newer model Garmin?  If so, see this:

https://www.geocaching.com/account/drafts

There's a link on that page that gives instructions on how it works. 

But there are many different ways to use different GPSs, depending on technical ability, software that you're familiar with, and what you're most comfortable with.  Also things change all the time.

And even then, you might want to do something different once in a while. Sometimes It's more convenient for me to write all of my cache finds in a notebook, and log the caches from that.

On 1/22/2019 at 3:42 PM, patt0329 said:

I wish someone would create one thread that states how to start geocaching with a gps. How to create a list, how to download it to your gps, and how to log it. It would be just one post that people could look at. It is so frustrating looking through 50 discussion threads just to find 1 answer to the ten questions you have.

But I digress...

I finally stumbled on getting caches to my gps. Firs problem solved.

After i log them found in my GPS how do I transfer that "found" log back to the website?

We use Garmin Etrex 20s. When we started we would take a print out of the map showing the caches and write the cache name alongside them. As we found (or DNF'd) each one we would write a few words about it on the map next to the cache icon then write a full log on the computer when we got home. I still do that today. 

7 hours ago, IceColdUK said:

Much as I love my GPSr, it isn’t great for text entry!

Yeah, my field notes drafts are just a few words (at most) when I write them on my smartphone. But they become a few characters (at most) when I'm using my GPSr. But all they need to do is jog my memory when I'm writing the actual logs later, from a real keyboard.

• Upvote 3