Cacher keeps re-logging deleted log - possible to block?

dubidubno

3 hours ago, Korsgat said:

I hope I do not have to write in this thread any more.

Actually I would like to see you writing something about why you are logging in your special way, even though you are knowing that it might cause trouble, or at least confusion.

I can´t deny that I´m sympathising with the comments here, wich suggest that you do so intentionally to start something. But I would like to read some credible arguments against this theory from you.

• Upvote 5
1 hour ago, GorgonVaktmester said:

No they are not! As a CO i would think that the cache is OK as long as I receive "Found it" logs, an no mentioning of problems in the log or in a NM log. So would also the next person that tries to find the box, and might use a long time searching for a cache that might be gone or broken because "someone found it yesterday". So the cheaters do have anegative  impact on other cachers as well!

They not only mislead cache owners and other potential finders, cheaters and those that turn a blind eye to cheating contribute to a perception that cheating is something condoned in how the game is played.  

• Upvote 4

So, to sum up in a sentence: this is a local dispute boiling over into the forum.  Mildly entertaining, yet disappointing at the same time.

Perhaps this is best settled one on one between @dubidubno and @Korsgat.  Over a beer, or pistols at dawn, y'all decide; but either way, neither of you are contributing anything to the community here other than making your private micturation tournament into a public spectacle.

• Upvote 5
2 minutes ago, hzoi said:

this is a local dispute boiling over into the forum. 

:

:

making your private micturation tournament into a public spectacle.

Local?  Well, yes this is a problem we have here in Norway...

Private? Absolutely not! This is not a private feud between the two of them. This is one person against the rest of the norwegian geocachers.

Like thomfre said quite early in ths thread:

On 1/22/2019 at 12:26 PM, thomfre said:

The confusion caused here is from this CO, who regularly have discussions like this. He won't accept team signatures, even after Groundspeak have verified that it's perfectly OK. He won't even accept two signatures that appear to be written in the same handwriting. Maybe someone needs to take a chill pill...

And now he has deleted the logs again after he has seen the picture.

Edited by GorgonVaktmester
2 hours ago, DerDiedler said:

Actually I would like to see you writing something about why you are logging in your special way, even though you are knowing that it might cause trouble, or at least confusion.

I can´t deny that I´m sympathising with the comments here, wich suggest that you do so intentionally to start something. But I would like to read some credible arguments against this theory from you.

@Korsgat

I agree.  I think if I was in school and turned in a writing assignment that was somehow typed using UV ink, I ought to expect the teacher to reject it without needing to explain why.  It's a silly, childish thing to do.  Maybe I could try to argue to the teacher that I wrote the paper as asked, that he never said I could NOT use UV ink and that all he needs to do is hold it under UV light.  But how do you really think that will turn out?

But you really, you knew all along it would be an issue, yet you chose to do it.  I'm not even the type of person who goes out to confirm signatures...but even I would find it incredibly annoying and juvenile for someone to be doing that on any of my own caches.

• Upvote 5

13 minutes ago, dubidubno said:

Regarding the impression given of me being very unpopular in the caching community; that seems unlikely to be true. I have more than a hundred caches with a total of several thousand happy found it logs.

I have found some of your caches myself, and given you my honest opinion about them. I also thanked you for putting the cache out. And most of the cachers in Norway probably don't know who you are. But those of us who has tried to discuss your interpretation of the guidelines with you know that they are (how shall I put it) a bit special... And since you are quite trigger-happy with the delete-button on people's logs you have made a lot of norwegian geocachers angry.

6 hours ago, Korsgat said:

I have tried to start a discussin with the CO prior to him starting this tread, and he did not want to continue that discussion with me (as I refered to in my first post in this thread), and therefore, the only thing left for me is to ask HQ for help on solving this matter.

For information, it was not a discussion. It was him telling me to stop deleting the entry and answering my questions with new questions. He did not seem intent to resolve it so I saw no point in continuing that route.

Regarding the impression given of me being very unpopular in the caching community; that seems unlikely to be true. I have more than a hundred caches with a total of several thousand happy found it logs.

17 minutes ago, dubidubno said:

For information, it was not a discussion. It was him telling me to stop deleting the entry and answering my questions with new questions. He did not seem intent to resolve it so I saw no point in continuing that route.

You have a very special way of debating yourself. In my last post above I quote something you wrote, but now that post is gone! And instead you added your statement there to the post that I'm quoting now...

When you own a lot of caches, and they are placed in urban places, of course you get a lot of found it logs! But the amount of found it logs doesen't say anything about you as a person and how well liked or not you are, it just say that you have a lot of caches of average quality that is easy accessible. You have slightly more favourite points than you have caches you own (124 fp on 111 hides) And with a total of 10.135 received logs that's not very impressive. So say that this makes you as a person very well liked is a bit strange...

22 hours ago, MartyBartfast said:

The answer to  the posted question is "yes" -  is it possible to block a cacher from  repeatedly logging a find on a cache, but only Groundspeak can do it.

Here is the answer from Groundspeak:

Hello dubidubno-

Thank you for contacting Geocaching HQ.

Unfortunately, there is no way to ban a geocacher from logging a specific geocache. 

Best regards,

Paul
Geocaching Senior Community Manager

Edited by dubidubno
grammar
1 minute ago, dubidubno said:

Her is the answer from Groundspeak:

Are you still trying to go down the avenue of blocking this cacher from logging your cache?

You've been given proof that the cache was found and the log was signed. Move on in life.

I don't know, maybe being this kind of taskmaster makes being a CO fun for you, but personally, if I was dealing with this kind of drama or anxiety over owning caches, I'd have run, screaming, from being a cache owner years ago. I take my cache ownership seriously but I don't at all understand the mentality that being a CO is "serious business".

19 minutes ago, dubidubno said:
22 hours ago, MartyBartfast said:

The answer to  the posted question is "yes" -  is it possible to block a cacher from  repeatedly logging a find on a cache, but only Groundspeak can do it.

Hello dubidubno-

Thank you for contacting Geocaching HQ.

Unfortunately, there is no way to ban a geocacher from logging a specific geocache. 

Best regards,

Paul
Geocaching Senior Community Manager

Well, good.  We have an answer.  Now a moderator can put a lid on this dumpster fire without fear that the question would be answered.

• Upvote 1
47 minutes ago, GorgonVaktmester said:

So say that this makes you as a person very well liked is a bit strange...

You are entitled to your opinion, and I'm not going to debate you on that. I would, however, like to clarify that I did not say I was very well liked, just that it does not seem like I'm very unpopular.

1 minute ago, dubidubno said:

You are entitled to your opinion, and I'm not going to debate you on that. I would, however, like to clarify that I did not say I was very well liked, just that it does not seem like I'm very unpopular.

Again: The number of finds on your caches has nothing to do with how well liked or popular or unpopular you are! It just states that you have "more than hundred caches" that is placed so that they are easy to find. Nothing more, nothing less...

58 minutes ago, dubidubno said:

Honestly, I wouldn't mind hearing from GS on how they view invisible log entries.  Not to say you are in any way handling this thing with anything approaching grace or dignity, but it would be nice to see if they regard such childish antics as running against the spirit of the game.

1 minute ago, MartyBartfast said:

Given that all this is playing out in Norway I can't help wondering if any of the "I signed it with a UV pen" logs got any "Great Story" or "Helpful" upvotes B)

Those are for the online log ;) No stories in the physical logs anymore... unless...there's something written with UV ink. Hmmm

• Upvote 1