Error 500

thomfre

Perhaps I should elaborate. I was going to cache pages from the map, clicking on the cache name. After it happened with one cache and I vented my frustration I went back and had a think. What if I try clicking on 'Log Visit'/ It's working. Hopefully, that narrows down where the issue is and provides others with a solution. BTW, what do you do if you don't have a Twitter account? I don't like 'social media'.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Frau Potter said:

Thanks for all the reports. The engineers made some changes to help resolve the issue. Please let us know if you continue to see issues. 

Also, please, if you're going to direct us to Twitter, provide a link as thomfre did above.  There are many of us who don't use it.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

hallo, ich wollte Labs Lösungen eintragen und dann kam immer wieder Error 500 und nach dieser Fehlermeldung bekam ich 4 Labs gutgeschrieben pro Fehler Error 500. Das kann nicht sein. Ich bekam auch keine Nachricht wenn irgendwie Homepage überarbeitet wird.  Gruß BMG70

Error 500 = server error.  Someone should be automatically notified.

"New event", you say?  Try tinkering with the new mandatory time fields until something works.  If I had to guess, you tried to make an event that crossed over midnight Seattle time.  Simple features can get complicated so fast...

Edited by Viajero Perdido
Bugfix to advice.

Another possibility is that you have configured the system to use a time/date format that the new event code can't understand (yet?). If you temporarily switch your time/date format to match the default US format that Groundspeak is used to, then you might be able to list your event without the 500 error. Then you could switch the time/date format back and post a reply that provides this additional information to Groundspeak.

500 usually means wait a day while the techies fix the issue.

(Specifically, it means Internal Server Error, or more to the point, it crashed, and someone responsible will have received an urgent automated text message regarding the issue.)

Patience...  Software is hard.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
Log formatting != forum formatting. See last sentence of post.
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, frisbee'r said:

Another cacher (Crystlcryptr) is getting the dreaded 500 error when attempting to access my found caches.   She can read the caches that I own.  It's not happening with any other cacher.   This kind of stuff makes me crazy. 

I get the same thing on any category of your found caches (yet not on the ones you've hidden).  "Error 500", which is slightly worse than the new view that usually comes up.

I tried some randomly selected other profiles, and they all work fine.  I wonder if it's due to the apostrophe in a cache name.  Other symbols or spaces don't seem to do it.  But here's another profile with an apostrophe in the user name, as an example:  https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/profile/6587567-belanna/

Same issue.

Edited by kunarion

Kunarion,

15 hours ago, kunarion said:

I get the same thing on any category of your found caches (yet not on the ones you've hidden).  "Error 500", which is slightly worse than the new view that usually comes up.

I tried some randomly selected other profiles, and they all work fine.  I wonder if it's due to the apostrophe in a cache name.  Other symbols or spaces don't seem to do it.  But here's another profile with an apostrophe in the user name, as an example:  https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/profile/6587567-belanna/

Same issue.

=====================================================

You are absolutely right.  I clicked on the link and get the Error 500 message.  I've had my userid since December 2004.  It just started happening yesterday morning.   How do I proceed to get this fixed?  There are many who look at my found caches.   Any help you can provide would be appreciated.   There are two other problems I've encountered since Apr 12 and have.  submitted detall.  What is happening at Groundspeak?  

1 hour ago, frisbee'r said:

I have filed a problem report to the Support Team at Groundspeak.   In 16 years, I have never needed to do so.

There were occasions when symbols or spaces in cacher names caused the server to throw up all over the place.  But thuis thing where one column of caches in a profile works fine and another column fails, with the same HTML format for the cacher name, that's baffling.

This Forum does something to your cacher name when I first edit a Quote.  It turns the apostrophe into the ASCII HTML code.  Looks fine after saving.  I'll probably make a post about the effect anyway.  These little glitches have a way of becoming bigger problems later. B)

Edited by kunarion
On 4/24/2021 at 9:25 PM, kunarion said:

There were occasions when symbols or spaces in cacher names caused the server to throw up all over the place.  But thuis thing where one column of caches in a profile works fine and another column fails, with the same HTML format for the cacher name, that's baffling.

This Forum does something to your cacher name when I first edit a Quote.  It turns the apostrophe into the ASCII HTML code.  Looks fine after saving.  I'll probably make a post about the effect anyway.  These little glitches have a way of becoming bigger problems later. B)

Anything you do is much appreciated.    

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, bd's said:

The site won't let me look at my finds from my profile page.  I get the error 500 message for any cache type that I pick.

If you experiment with editing your Geonick, you will lose any special symbols forever (apostrophe or whatever).  It's a good idea to lose it, because as you see, servers can't handle it (OK, they could, but not to put too fine a point on it, Geocachers had symbols in their nicks for over 20 years, and this still comes up.  All the time). 

Bear in mind if you delete it as a test, you never get it back.

Edited by kunarion

Is there any update on this error 500 problem. I'm trying to do some planning for summer trips, and this is a real hindrance. It makes no sense to me that there hasn't been a problem since I joined,  but now I can't see my own finds.

Just give me the option to go back to my old profile page.  There is nothing on the new one that is at all appealing to me.

On 4/28/2021 at 1:51 PM, The Wombles said:

I’m getting an error 500 when I try to edit my own cache pages today. I can see the cache pages and enable / disable them, just not edit them.

The error message tells me to check twitter, which I did.  Twitter has no information.

This is rather annoying and should be easy to fix surely?

If we click on anyone of our friends "All Geocache Finds" if they have an apostrophe in their caching name you get an "Error 500" but if their caching name is simple with no apostrophe it works as it always has.

There is nothing worse than having a release of new software forced upon us only for "bugs" to surface shortly afterwards ....and it takes days if not longer to fix.....

Why?

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Not sure if this is the same issue, but every time I send an email through another's profile, I notice every word with apostrophes has " ' " in-between the letters when it's sent and I see the "copy".    For example, I'm  is  I$#39;m .  Noticed it around a month now.

Weird...

27 minutes ago, G & C Lost'N'Found said:

I get the same 500 error if I go to my profile and try to look at my found caches. Other people have told be they get the same 500 error when going to my profile and try to look at my found caches.Must be a bug in the programming.

You have an ampersand, spaces, and two apostrophes in your Geonick.  That will do it.  ^_^

It’s just a matter of waiting til the software catches up to the recent changes.  Symbols in names have created issues in previous updates, and got fixed.

I picked the format that Microsoft Chat liked.  From around 1990.  In fact, this is my last chat handle, “kunarion”.  No spaces, 8 characters (less was fine), no symbols, although a dash was acceptable.  Not as exciting nor fancy as some, but now the lack of Error 500 is pretty nice.  :anicute:

46 minutes ago, frisbee'r said:

As of May 11, the problem with an apostrophe in my name has been resolved.  Anyone, including myself, who tries to look at my found caches, will no longer get the Error 500 message. 

Cool, that does seem to have been fixed! :)

Now all the rest of the places where this pops up will have to be addressed as they surface.  OK, yeah, I know, they don't fix the Forum software, "it's third party software".  Anyway, I meant everywhere except where they don't fix it. :anicute:

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by kunarion