new Apple MacBook

T-BearNose39

GSAK runs on Mac - it just takes some tweaking and patience. Thank goodness for the wayback machine. This is the best explanation for how to get it to work:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180831165238/http://www.frso.se/index.php/geocaching/how-to-get-gsak8-running-on-os-x

You no longer need a windows machine or a USB stick. When it comes time to authenticate against geocaching.com, Clyde created a way for Mac users to do that:

1. Under "Geocaching.com access" select "Get another access token (method 2)"

2. After agreeing to authenticate (geocaching.com authentication page), save the GSAK authentication page (webpage complete) - this is the one that says "send access token to GSAK"

3. Back in GSAK, select "Get another access token (method 2)" WHILE HOLDING control - this will open a dialog box to select a file

4. Choose the saved webpage

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, platoaddict said:

GSAK runs on Mac - it just takes some tweaking and patience. Thank goodness for the wayback machine. This is the best explanation for how to get it to work:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180831165238/http://www.frso.se/index.php/geocaching/how-to-get-gsak8-running-on-os-x

You no longer need a windows machine or a USB stick. When it comes time to authenticate against geocaching.com, Clyde created a way for Mac users to do that:

1. Under "Geocaching.com access" select "Get another access token (method 2)"

2. After agreeing to authenticate (geocaching.com authentication page), save the GSAK authentication page (webpage complete) - this is the one that says "send access token to GSAK"

3. Back in GSAK, select "Get another access token (method 2)" WHILE HOLDING control - this will open a dialog box to select a file

4. Choose the saved webpage

I've used the Wine/Wine Bottler method to run GSAK on a mac.  It's a PITA.  Note that it required running it on a Windows PC first or installing some VM or dual boot software on the Mac (which technically requires a Windows license).  

• Helpful 1
On 1/23/2019 at 10:47 AM, platoaddict said:

It may have required that in the past, but it no longer does so. I use it on a daily basis. The only pieces of GSAK that do not work are those that require a program outside GSAK to send data back. Since I primarily use GSAK as a database manager, that doesn't affect me much at all.

What set up do you have on your Mac? Thinking about getting a new 66 in the spring and fear that MacCaching will not 'see' the new GPSr. Generally I would use it to just load PQ's to the GPSr, but who knows. I hear it's pretty powerful

7 hours ago, spotter/g said:

What set up do you have on your Mac? Thinking about getting a new 66 in the spring and fear that MacCaching will not 'see' the new GPSr. Generally I would use it to just load PQ's to the GPSr, but who knows. I hear it's pretty powerful

I run GSAK through wine and also use the occasional base camp session. I have successfully connected a 62, 64, 66, various oregons, and regularly use a Montana. 

Depending on my outing, I’ll either load the GPS from GSAK or (more likely) have a few GPX files that I load directly to the SD card in the GPS. I have a few databases that I maintain with regular PQs. Otherwise, I set up databases for planned caching trips. I am certainly not a GSAK power user, but I’m relatively competent and also use it to log finds. It’s fairly stable using the wine bottler ... some memory leaks (but those have gotten significantly better in recent releases), and Clyde is pretty good about helping out Mac users even though he won’t port it to Mac.

Have any specific questions?