Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
TriciaG

Maintained It = Didn't Maintain It

Enable ListingEnable Listing

01/04/2017

It was our intention to revisit this cache and return it to its original construction. However finding the opportunity to do so has proven difficult as we now live rather far away... The cache should still be functional according to the last to find, with the adventure element intact. I hope to still restore this cache fully at some point, but for now it might just be a little easier to spot! Therefor going to reactivate. Happy caching!

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Harry Dolphin said:

Enable ListingEnable Listing

01/04/2017

It was our intention to revisit this cache and return it to its original construction. However finding the opportunity to do so has proven difficult as we now live rather far away... The cache should still be functional according to the last to find, with the adventure element intact. I hope to still restore this cache fully at some point, but for now it might just be a little easier to spot! Therefor going to reactivate. Happy caching!

When I gaze into my crystal ball, the signs do not bode well for whatever cache this might be.  But the spirits might be wrong.  Perhaps I should consult the bones...

Edit:

d63426235fedd08932ff415fb48ab6478198f527

Edited by hzoi
  • Upvote 1

Ok, no names to protect the innocent...

Cache placed 7 years ago rated 3.5/2.5 with 14 finds and 46 dnfs and last found in 2015 and no maintenance logs by the CO unless prompted by The Reviewer

Reviewer in 2017 :  May I request the cache owner verify this cache remains in play?

CO reply later the same day:  "Recently checked in this and it's there."

Reviewer:  8 dnfs and and a year later:  As this cache has been un-found since April of 2015, with a string of DNF's, may I ask you (the cache owner) confirm this cache remains in place and available to be found?

CO reply later same day:  "Have already checked and it still awaited someone to find it again."

Present day:  a year later, still no finds.  

Looking further down the list to the last recorded find we see:  "The hint no longer applies and was leading us astray!"  No change to the hint since the cache was published, eh?

Since the basic idea of cache maintenance is to have a cache available to be found, that actually can be found with the information provided, once you've identified a "pretend maintainer" the simpliest thing to do is avoid their caches.  Getting them to actually do maintence, well....not going to happen.  Identifying them in advance can be tough, but here are the signs:  1, They have many caches but never post OM logs.  2, The cache page is never updated no matter how long the cache has been in the field nor how many changes to the area have occured   3,  They either ignore NM logs completely or immediately post that they "just checked on it, and "it's fine".  4, When someone finally posts an NA log it's The Reviewer, not the CO, who eventually archives it....

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, edexter said:

pretend maintainer

We had an armchair logger, who then decided to publish a cache. It was no more real than their armchair logs, yet people (even many experienced cachers who knew of the armchair logging) kept trying to find it. NM logs were regularly published, which were logged in the same way as the CO's logs; from their armchair.

2 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

We had an armchair logger, who then decided to publish a cache. It was no more real than their armchair logs, yet people (even many experienced cachers who knew of the armchair logging) kept trying to find it. NM logs were regularly published, which were logged in the same way as the CO's logs; from their armchair.

Funny how no one ever throws down in those cases. That would drive that pretend maintainer crazy. 😝He probably would actually get off his armchair to remove the throwdown, in order to "maintain" a DNF streak on the listing. And then delete all the "find" logs. 

• Funny 1

9 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

Funny how no one ever throws down in those cases. That would drive that pretend maintainer crazy. 😝He probably would actually get off his armchair to remove the throwdown, in order to "maintain" a DNF streak on the listing. And then delete all the "find" logs. 

There was a throw down found and the armchair CO got really upset about that.

23 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

There was a throw down found and the armchair CO got really upset about that.

They'd know for sure it was a throwdown by virtue of there being a find log at all right!

4 hours ago, funkymunkyzone said:

They'd know for sure it was a throwdown by virtue of there being a find log at all right!

Exactly.

There is no cache to find, so any "find" is either a throwdown or a fake find. 

I don't know if a reviewer can step in and archive a suspicious cache listing, if the owner posts (fake) OMs that say it's actually there. 

3 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

Exactly.

There is no cache to find, so any "find" is either a throwdown or a fake find. 

I don't know if a reviewer can step in and archive a suspicious cache listing, if the owner posts (fake) OMs that say it's actually there. 

It's a tricky one - how does the reviewer know? There is a certain level of trust this game relies upon and you cant get away from that. Luckily I guess, the number of times a cache is actually (not) hidden this way is apparently rather small and infrequent, and quickly becomes easy to spot by locals, even if not by definitive hard evidence. Frustrating perhaps for those who encounter one, but luckily not a pandemic.

Posted (edited)
On 6/9/2019 at 1:27 PM, STNolan said:

29A9C4F0-E9D2-4EB1-8FFD-E8A285AD5DE8.jpeg

I think that Archive should be an option on the app but I just looked at the app and OM is not the only choice for owners.

He should have picked Disable.

Or he could have used Write Note. 

People may drive over (perhaps specifically for this cache, perhaps driving many miles) for a DNF, to then read the OM log that says It was not actually maintained. 

IMG_3750.thumb.jpg.12f3f36db0fe7d43ae93eb676d8ac681.jpg

Edited by L0ne.R
grammar, sentence structure

22 minutes ago, L0ne.R said:

I think that Archive should be an option on the app but I just looked at the app and OM is not the only choice for owners.

I'd bet there's no "app" on a desktop computer, either.  But, besides the app there's the entire web site on the phone.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, lee737 said:

Maintenance? Instant geo-litter......

no-maint.jpg.6ca301b2dc45fe581a04516ed3fee850.jpg

Saw that, and others. This CO was the subject of a few of my earlier posts. He's finally got around to tidying up his caches many of which had strings of DNFs and unactioned NAs and reviewer NMs. Apparently community maintenance wasn't working for him.

Posted (edited)

HAHAHA!  I think I may actually be guilty of having done this just yesterday!  Leave it to Forums to bring in a reality check:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Owner MaintenanceOwner Maintenance

06/21/2019

not ready for prime time players

Cache is put back together and in place BUT there is a kink in the system somewhere. That would be very frustrating, so leaving disabled through the weekend. Alternate lock still in place; please do not attempt to log.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My thinking was that maintenance had been done (and quite a bit) ... just not quite ready yet. 

Not trying to erase any NMs.  In fact, I was the one that discovered the need. 

Sooooo.... change to another Write Note?  Edit the last one, adding the updated status?

EDIT: Went ahead and added a dated update to the previous Note, so's not to clutter up the page with CO logs.

Edited by VAVAPAM

On 1/20/2019 at 9:17 PM, barefootjeff said:

...except I'd disabled the cache a few days earlier while I carried out repairs and this was meant to be an Enable log, not an OM.

If HQ think having default log types isn't causing any problems, maybe they should change the default owner log to Archive and see what happens.

Yes, thanks for noting that.  I just went back and noticed that a hastily posted Write Note is actually an OM.

• Love 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, VAVAPAM said:

HAHAHA!  I think I may actually be guilty of having done this just yesterday!  Leave it to Forums to bring in a reality check:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

06/21/2019

not ready for prime time players

Cache is put back together and in place BUT there is a kink in the system somewhere. That would be very frustrating, so leaving disabled through the weekend. Alternate lock still in place; please do not attempt to log.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My thinking was that maintenance had been done (and quite a bit) ... just not quite ready yet. 

Not trying to erase any NMs.  In fact, I was the one that discovered the need. 

Sooooo.... change to another Write Note?  Edit the last one, adding the updated status?

EDIT: Went ahead and added a dated update to the previous Note, so's not to clutter up the page with CO logs.

You got it right now. :)

A 'temporarily disable' alerts all that the cache is not available for finding. Followed by (monthly) 'write notes' to keep everyone, especially the reviewer informed that it's still not available to find yet, but you plan to have it available soon. 

Edited by L0ne.R
  • Helpful 1

15 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

You got it right now. :)

A 'temporarily disable' alerts all that the cache is not available for finding. Followed by (monthly) 'write notes' to keep everyone, especially the reviewer informed that it's still not available to find yet, but you plan to have it available soon. 

Hey, thanks for checking; appreciate the "all clear". 👍

One of the OMs in this debacle is somewhat correct, but the other definitely isn't.

Temporarily Disable ListingTemporarily Disable Listing

06/Nov/2018

shrub gone. needs to be redone.

--------------------------------------------------------------

07/Nov/2018

Note since the shrub is gone, I will have to find another spot and have a reviewer move the cache location. This will be done over the next week to month.

10/Dec/2018

Cache moved to new location and coordinates and hide info sent to [reviewer name] reviewer today for their action.

Write noteWrite note

09/Jan/2019

Update: still no response from [town name] regarding cache placement. (The A-Team note: this town doesn't require approval of hides)

Write noteWrite note

27/Jan/2019

January 27, 2019 - to date no response from [town name] Parks. I will give 2 more weeks and if no response I will move it out of [town name].

Write noteWrite note

03/Mar/2019

[cache name] was transferred from [old owner] to user [new owner]

Post Reviewer NotePost Reviewer Note

18/May/2019

I see that your cache has been in need of your attention for a period of time beyond the four weeks mentioned in the cache Geocaching Guidelines. ...

Three DNFs and then this:

28/Jan/2019

We will go down and check on it right away.

If they did, they never came back to say that they had followed through on this promise, or what the result was.

Disappointingly in an area I plan to cache through soon...

30/Jul/2018

This one gets some DNFs from time to time. It is always still there when I check on it.

03/Aug/2019

I’m flat out at the moment. Hoping to get up to replace this one soon

Needs MaintenanceNeeds Maintenance

02/Aug/2019

There was a NM on 09/Jul/2019, but the cache is still in bad condition and no word from the CO. A new cache and log is needed, and the old cache needs to be taken away and disposed of and not left here to fall apart more. Either that, or the old cache should be removed and this archived.

1 hour ago, Goldenwattle said:

03/Aug/2019

I’m flat out at the moment. Hoping to get up to replace this one soon

02/Aug/2019

There was a NM on 09/Jul/2019, but the cache is still in bad condition and no word from the CO. A new cache and log is needed, and the old cache needs to be taken away and disposed of and not left here to fall apart more. Either that, or the old cache should be removed and this archived.

Looks like it should have been disabled.

• Upvote 1

08/2018

Attempted to check on and perform maintenance on it before the big x&x Geocaching event next weekend. Unfortunately, we weren't able to find the cache as it wasn't where we left it and not anywhere in the close area. Hopefully someone during the event will be able to locate it.

• Surprised 1

Cache Owner

07/30/2019

Can the next finder add a new log. TiA

prem_user.gifPremium Member

07/21/2019

This one too needs a new container. Those pop-tops are no longer keeping water out.

reg_user.gifMember

Found itFound it

07/14/2019

A bit Waterlogged, needs new log

reg_user.gifMember

Found itFound it

07/06/2019

Found log is wet though live the history

Cache Owner

reg_user.gifMember

06/24/2019

This one needs a new log. Would the next finder be able to put one in? Thanks in advance!

30 minutes ago, L0ne.R said:
Cache Owner

07/30/2019

Can the next finder add a new log. TiA

prem_user.gifPremium Member

07/21/2019

This one too needs a new container. Those pop-tops are no longer keeping water out.

reg_user.gifMember

Found itFound it

07/14/2019

A bit Waterlogged, needs new log

reg_user.gifMember

Found itFound it

07/06/2019

Found log is wet though live the history

Cache Owner

reg_user.gifMember

06/24/2019

This one needs a new log. Would the next finder be able to put one in? Thanks in advance!

Needs Archive should be the next log on that one. Let the Reviewer see the maintenance plan of this CO

11/Jul/2019

As suggested a plastic bag around the log sheet will be added just as soon as I have one small enough or some of that fancy wet/dry paper meant for geocaching if I have time to stop and get some :)

22/Jul/2019

[CO and kid] stopped by today and it’s missing already! Don’t have a replacement at the moment for it, but will procure one before the weekend.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

...both on the same cache.

7 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

08/2018

Attempted to check on and perform maintenance on it before the big x&x Geocaching event next weekend. Unfortunately, we weren't able to find the cache as it wasn't where we left it and not anywhere in the close area. Hopefully someone during the event will be able to locate it.

What's the odds of a shiny new film pot or pill bottle suddenly appearing during the event (if it wasn't one of those already)?

• Upvote 1

Many new Cachers Don’t know the difference between owner maintenance and disabled. Lotta times they mean to disable but put under owner maintenance and doesn’t know that means it has already been maintained.

On 8/6/2019 at 4:21 PM, colleda said:

What's the odds of a shiny new film pot or pill bottle suddenly appearing during the event (if it wasn't one of those already)?

I attended an event where a  geocache I own was in the same park. Someone says they couldn’t find it so I walked over and saw it was missing and replaced it. But there was also a throwdown that was missing the bottom. Somebody contacted me and let me know. I let them know which one was mine and they went and removed the throwdown.

46 minutes ago, jellis said:

Many new Cachers Don’t know the difference between owner maintenance and disabled. Lotta times they mean to disable but put under owner maintenance and doesn’t know that means it has already been maintained.

Having Owner Maintenance as the default log type for COs is more likely to blame. I've inadvertently logged an OM when I meant to log a Disable or Enable simply because I was concentrating on what I was writing in the log and forgot to change the default. This is simply bad UI design.

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, barefootjeff said:

Having Owner Maintenance as the default log type for COs is more likely to blame. I've inadvertently logged an OM when I meant to log a Disable or Enable simply because I was concentrating on what I was writing in the log and forgot to change the default. This is simply bad UI design.

I've been caught out like that too.