Google path file to 60CSx

Ok, thank you.  It turns out that i was able to save the file as a *.GPX file and put it on the GPS (On the SD card only).  But i have a different problem now.  It seems that i cannot load any tracks file either an on board file or a file on the SD card to the current track.  So im guessing that i need Basecamp to load a track file into the GPS?  

Yes. The 60csx was the last in that line that didn't support GPX files natively, as well as mass storage for the onboard memory, so you need a program that can load the data via Garmin's serial protocol. 

If you want a GPS that can read and write directly to the GPX file format, and let you drag and drop files without the need for an intermediate program, you'll need to upgrade to a 62s, 64s, or a 66s.

Just now, HHL said:

That's wrong. It doesn't support Geocache-GPX files. But it supports GPX tracks on µSD-card

Hams

But only on the SD card. Of course, I missed the part in the OP's "new problem" about the current track.

4 minutes ago, Boost & Twitch said:

Can i (through software) put a track file into the current (viewed) track?  Or is that something that just can't be done on this particular GPS? 

I can't give a definitive answer here, but I'm inclined to say no, given that you can't drop a GPX file directly onto the onboard memory.

On that note, you can drop a GPX file onto a newer GPS, and on those models, the current track is stored in its own little place within the GPX folder. So... it's time to experiment whether one can manipulate the current track on one of these devices.

Ok, thanks for the help...

I was able to re-save (through G/E) the file to  *.kml.  That seemed to make Basecamp happier as now it can see the file in its file manager.  And i was able to upload the file to the GPS (on board mem) and is loaded.  Now i want to hike this trail and compare to the file in real time.  Question: Can i have the file loaded AND be laying down new tracks as i hike?

Yes. You can always have a saved track displayed (well, let me double check that with the 60csx), or you can navigate a track (Go To > Tracks > your track). The last one is really only useful if you need to know any stats concerning your location with respect to your destination. Otherwise, just hike and collect a track and then compare the two in Basecamp or Google Earth.

But yes, displaying a track on the map and actively routing it is not the same as collecting track information, which is what happens in real time as you move and gets stored in the Current Track until saved or cleared.

So, a little test with my Oregon. It appears that you can't just replace the Current.gpx file with an older track renamed to Current.gpx. So even on newer devices, "replacing" the current track with an older track is not doable, at least not easily.

But it's just not that practical either, given the purpose of the current track and the ability to display and navigate using saved tracks.

25 minutes ago, Red90 said:

One thing to watch is that saved tracks can only be 500 points maximum on these old units.

As i understood the manual, tracks are limited, as you say, if you are saving them to the on-board memory.  Tracks saved to the SD card will be given a larger capacity?  Then truncated when loaded back on?  But at least i would have the whole distance when saving, then loading to G/E?

Hopeful...

Yes, when you have the tracks saved to the archive on the card, all of it is there.  You just have no way of viewing them on the GPS.  Any Garmin handheld newer than the 60csx does not have these limitations.

With 7700 finds, you should really treat yourself to a newer GPS.  They are alot nicer for caching.

1 hour ago, Mineral2 said:

So, a little test with my Oregon. It appears that you can't just replace the Current.gpx file with an older track renamed to Current.gpx. So even on newer devices, "replacing" the current track with an older track is not doable, at least not easily.

But it's just not that practical either, given the purpose of the current track and the ability to display and navigate using saved tracks.

No, i was beginning to think that existing saved tracks could not be reloaded as i could not find a way to do this either looking through the manual or going through the menus on the unit.

But i think i got it figured out after i learned how to talk to the menus.  HIGHLIGHT SAVED TRACK/ENTER... HIGHLIGHT OK/ENTER.

3 hours ago, Red90 said:

Yes, when you have the tracks saved to the archive on the card, all of it is there.  You just have no way of viewing them on the GPS.  Any Garmin handheld newer than the 60csx does not have these limitations.

With 7700 finds, you should really treat yourself to a newer GPS.  They are alot nicer for caching.

The GPSMAP 66 is really a treat. First non-touchscreen model from Garmin I can't put down. 

On 1/18/2019 at 3:22 PM, Red90 said:

Yes, when you have the tracks saved to the archive on the card, all of it is there.  You just have no way of viewing them on the GPS. 

Do you know how it truncates?  When i loaded a large track file, the GPS said it truncated the track, but it appeared to have both the beginning and the end.  Does it take points out of the middle?  

2 hours ago, Lemonhead said:

Do you know how it truncates?  When i loaded a large track file, the GPS said it truncated the track, but it appeared to have both the beginning and the end.  Does it take points out of the middle?  

The GPSr removes unnecessary intermediate track points until the total track log is < 500 points. 

On 1/18/2019 at 3:24 PM, Mineral2 said:

If our handhelds behave the same as Nuvi's, current.gpx is created and overwritten by the device itself every time it boots up. It does not load it into memory first. This would explain why copying a current.gpx file to the device will not work. 

I highly recommend using Basecamp if you want to use and/or manage previous tracks. I do this very often myself. Basecamp will allow you to combine a group of waypoints, geocaches and tracks into a single output GPX file on the GPS or you can manage/copy them inpedently if you wish. Just don't name it current.gpx. Then in the Track Manager on the GPS, select the track and set "show on map". Or Navigate. To turn off the current track from displaying, go to settings, track recording and set it to 'record but do not show'.

50 minutes ago, JohnCNA said:

If our handhelds behave the same as Nuvi's, current.gpx is created and overwritten by the device itself every time it boots up. It does not load it into memory first. This would explain why copying a current.gpx file to the device will not work. 

They do not behave in this manner. The current.gpx remains unedited by the device over power cycles.