How to Initialize Trackable Location?

lnjustin

2 hours ago, lnjustin said:

How do i initialize the location of the trackable as being in one of my geocaches?

Once you have it in your inventory, you need to post a log to the cache (a Note can be used) and select the Drop option for the trackable. Here is the Help Center article Log a trackable for reference.

And how do i track the location of the geocache with a map?

On your trackable's page, there should be a View Map link at the top of the Tracking History, before the logs.

• Helpful 1

Hi am doing my first trackable. How do i initialize the location of the trackable as being in one of my geocaches?

And how do i track the location of the geocache with a map?

I don't see any owned geocaches in your account.    Everything you need to know about Trackables is in the Help Center.

Since it's in your possession (as owner), you'd simply use the "Drop" log to drop it in a cache, or the "Visit" log (if you're keeping it in your possession, moving it  cache-to-cache). 

It starts it's journey from the first cache it's logged into, but "Visit" logs won't send notifications to your account. 

Every time it's moved, it accumulates mileage that can be viewed on the trackable's map.

If  the cache is unpublished, you can still "drop" the trackable into the cache's inventory by using posting a log to the cache page.

The default log on an unpublished cache is Reviewer note, and that will work fine. Your inventory will show at the bottom of the logging page. Or once you're on the logging page of an unpublished cache, you can select Write Note in the log type pull down box, and drop with that log. A Write Note log will remain on the cache page when the cache is published, so you can add some text that will stay on the page.  Something fun like, My first trackable in my first cache! ... or not...