Release Notes (Website: new Search/Map) - January 17, 2019

1 hour ago, thebruce0 said:

Ok so, wait, now I'm a bit confused... we have two map views - the old (browse) map, and the new (search) map.  The old map was (well still is) used to also display search results (PQs/Lists), but the new map is intended to do that just without the browsing ability.  So when you say you're retiring the "search results map", are you referring to the new map? Or... the ability for the new map to display search results, or... ?

I was as confused as you were by brendanjw's post, so I went to investigate, and here's what I discovered: there *was* an old search map, but it was only different from the normal browse map in subtle ways. I never really thought of it as a different map, although now that I see it, I can understand why the developers thought of them as two different things. And the "search map" was better integrated: there was a prominent "clear filters" button in the top left corner that, as far as I can tell, did nothing but jump you from the "search map" to the "browse map" at the same location and scale. That definitely made it feel like two forms of the same map.

I think a lot of this conversation has been confused because we outsiders thought we were comparing the browse map to the search map, but what we really should have been focusing on is the difference between the two search maps. Now that I'm looking at it, even though I can see the logic of some of the features of the new map, there's no denying that the old map is more intuitive. Some things in the old map always struck me as illogical, but now that they've been done away with, I realize that even with their problems, the "counter intuitive" things in the old map often make it easier to use and understand. And, OMG, the missing button to jump from searching to browsing is a *huge* feature loss.

On a personal note: to look into this, I opted out of the new map even though I've been kinda enjoying playing with it and seeing where it's going. I wasn't worried about opting out because the instructions clearly say there will be a big button I can push to opt back in. Well, I can't find that button, so I'm stuck with the old search map, and I'm still trying to decide if I care.

2 minutes ago, dprovan said:

I was as confused as you were by brendanjw's post, so I went to investigate, and here's what I discovered: there *was* an old search map, but it was only different from the normal browse map in subtle ways. I never really thought of it as a different map, although now that I see it, I can understand why the developers thought of them as two different things. And the "search map" was better integrated: there was a prominent "clear filters" button in the top left corner that, as far as I can tell, did nothing but jump you from the "search map" to the "browse map" at the same location and scale. That definitely made it feel like two forms of the same map.

I think a lot of this conversation has been confused because we outsiders thought we were comparing the browse map to the search map, but what we really should have been focusing on is the difference between the two search maps. Now that I'm looking at it, even though I can see the logic of some of the features of the new map, there's no denying that the old map is more intuitive. Some things in the old map always struck me as illogical, but now that they've been done away with, I realize that even with their problems, the "counter intuitive" things in the old map often make it easier to use and understand. And, OMG, the missing button to jump from searching to browsing is a *huge* feature loss.

On a personal note: to look into this, I opted out of the new map even though I've been kinda enjoying playing with it and seeing where it's going. I wasn't worried about opting out because the instructions clearly say there will be a big button I can push to opt back in. Well, I can't find that button, so I'm stuck with the old search map, and I'm still trying to decide if I care.

Search for a cache/area from the "main page", And you should et a big blue banner before selecting map these results

4 minutes ago, HHL said:

Please give an example.

As an example say I remember the name of a cache I've been recomended, but don't remember where it was or the gccode, but the name was:  CGHOVE's Evil Klatre cache.

Searching for that name won't even display similar named caches, or bring me nere GC6F9QB....

examp.png

4 minutes ago, cghove said:

As an example say I remember the name of a cache I've been recomended, but don't remember where it was or the gccode, but the name was:  CGHOVE's Evil Klatre cache.

Searching for that name won't even display similar named caches, or bring me nere GC6F9QB....

examp.png

Yes you can search for caches by name.

Just hit "Filter" in the map sidebar and scroll down. There is a Box "Geocache name contains..." place your name there and scroll back up to click "done". Now zoom way out and hit "search this area". Then you will find your cache.

Of cause this will only work if the name is quite unique.

The searchfield on top is only for locations or GCCodes, not for names.

Edited by Ruko2010
  • Helpful 2
4 minutes ago, cghove said:

Click on Filters, scroll down to Geocache name contains and put part of your remembered name in there...

image.png.4ba68469f750efab9e2a4f582dcc14de.png

Up the top of the Filters panel, make sure you turn on the "Search the world" option...

image.png.dcd734fa9daeec30023cbc59705c2fe4.png

Click on Done and there you have it...

image.png.c4f6db5cf7868bb9bf4b37fa6d3c5c0c.png

2 hours ago, dprovan said:

You can include me in this camp. I was beyond surprised to read brendanjw's post indicating that the old "browse" and "search" forms of the map were internally considered separate at HQ. I think most assumed that it was the same map being used in two ways, so it was natural to assume that we'd be losing this old "single" map. It's great to now hear that it's only the old "search" form of the map that's getting replaced. This distinction needs to be communicated everywhere that this new search map is being discussed, because it vastly changes the way folks will look at things. Now that this critical point has been clarified, I'm going to have to start all over with looking at the new map, since my thinking of it will have completely changed. Many of the mentioned technical issues will likely still need to be resolved, but workflow issues will need a second look to see if they're really an issue in the new context.

• Upvote 3
10 minutes ago, shack1961 said:

Hi there, I can’t even get the blue banner to change to the new map. I’m using an iPad.

I can’t see anywhere that says this doesn’t work on tablets...so what am I doing wrong?

Hmm, I can't get it now either. I was starting to type a post saying that you just need to do a search from the home page and then you should get the blue banner at the top, but this doesn't happen now. I think something has broken.

Ok, so I discovered a new "bug" (or perhaps a feature that ought to be changed) when mapping bookmark lists:

Previously, when mapping a list with archived caches, the archived caches would still show up on the map. In the new map, they do not. It would be useful to allow them to be visible.

2 hours ago, brendanjw said:

Hi all,

I appreciate your comments, and feel that I can make one distinction that may put some fears to rest.  The map that I have cited that we are retiring is as @thebruce0 noted in his post earlier the search results map and not the browse map.

Here is an image depicting the browse map, and the reiterate, when I've discussed retiring the map, I am referring to the search results map, and not the browse map. I hope this clears things up.

Ohhhh.... I didn't realize there was a distinction between the "search map" and the "browse map".  I thought this was meant to be a replacement of the browse map!  I now understand the difference!

All of the comments from my previous post still apply, but knowing this new map is a SEARCH map, I'd like to reiterate the need for the following features:

• Search by attributes
  • Search by hidden date range
  • The ability to directly take a GPX file from search results

With these features the new search map would be a very powerful tool - easier and quicker than Pocket Queries too!

10 minutes ago, brendan714 said:

Ohhhh.... I didn't realize there was a distinction between the "search map" and the "browse map".  I thought this was meant to be a replacement of the browse map!  I now understand the difference! 

Okay... so we're referring to what appears to be the same interface, but under the hood displays data from a different source.

So:

* the "browse" map is the general one with the cache type filters in sidebar.

* the "search" map (with the 'old' interface) is what you get when you "map these results" - no sidebar, just the plotted results (same as viewing a PQ or List result)

In PQ context, the sidebar has the "Search" button (to return to the "browse" map) and "Pocket Queries" button (showing the "search" map for the pocket query you choose to plot)

In "map these search results" context, there is no sidebar, just a "Clear filters" button that takes you to the "browse" map.

The new map is intended to replace all of the 'search' plot contexts, but the 'browse' map will remain.  Is that the proper interpretation?

This is quite convoluted...

Edited by thebruce0
3 hours ago, cghove said:

Search for a cache/area from the "main page", And you should et a big blue banner before selecting map these results

Ha-ha! Thanks! (I think: still haven't decided to click on it.) Leave it to GS to have the button to opt into the new map somewhere other than on the old map.

Further Improvements required: 

• Get rid of the search this area button and just allow it to search as you scroll.
  • If possible, load more than 1000 at a time.
  • When you are zoomed out, because you are limited to 1000, if you are driving longer distances, you can’t even see caches for a few hundred kilometres… which sucks!
  • Allow you to set default geocaching or google, so you do not need to change each each time you open the map.
  • Next to last logged, in the side window, have what type of log it was (ie. smiley/frowny etc).
  • Condense down the favourite points and d/t, so that it takes a little less space, allowing you to see the first log.
  • Show the person who hid the cache below the title of the cache, when viewing the cache in the side bar.
  • Be able to run a PQ straight from the map.
On 1/23/2019 at 5:35 PM, ratjam said:

I have gone to the webgl link shown. My PC shows the rotating box.  My PC is an HP ZBook 15 with NVidia Quadro M1000M graphics card. Hardware should not be an issue.  I have since tested the maps on 4 different PCs (Win 7 & 10, old & new) using IE11. I have not been able to get the geocaching map to show on any of them. It wouldn't be so bad if it would remember my selection of Google maps. The geocaching map works for Edge, Chrome and Firefox, just not IE11.  Has anyone been able to get the geocaching map worm in IE?

Checked this for you with a Windows 10 PC ... Firefox and Chrome display the Geocaching Map correctly BUT using IE11, the GC Map is blank even though the caches show (also tried with 1000, 750, 500, 250 caches in the search as it crashes to a white screen when using 1000 caches with Firefox). Google Map & Google Satellite display perfectly ok. See screen shots:

New GC search map with IE11.jpg

New Google search map with IE11.jpg

I just logged in via Internet Explorer on a Dell computer and the map did not load at all. I  could only see the list of caches on the left.  Clearly a missing map is useless to me so I quickly went back to the old version lol.  Not sure why this would be?  Has anyone else experienced the complete lack of map at all?

55 minutes ago, yellow.warbler said:

I just logged in via Internet Explorer on a Dell computer and the map did not load at all. I  could only see the list of caches on the left.  Clearly a missing map is useless to me so I quickly went back to the old version lol.  Not sure why this would be?  Has anyone else experienced the complete lack of map at all?

Look at my post immediatelty above yours, answering same previous question - Geocaching Map is blank using IE, but Google Map & Sat work ok. Geo Map works ok with Firefox & Chrome

10 hours ago, PlasmaWave said:

Checked this for you with a Windows 10 PC ... Firefox and Chrome display the Geocaching Map correctly BUT using IE11, the GC Map is blank even though the caches show (also tried with 1000, 750, 500, 250 caches in the search as it crashes to a white screen when using 1000 caches with Firefox). Google Map & Google Satellite display perfectly ok. See screen shots:

New GC search map with IE11.jpg

New Google search map with IE11.jpg

@PlasmaWave Using IE11 both Google maps versions work OK. Only the geocaching map does not work. It wouldn't be an issue if I could set the default to Google maps, but every time I use the search map, I need to change from geocaching to Google map.  Also, the sort dropdown does not show up in IE11.

9 minutes ago, Fah-Troop said:

it may have been covered but all I see with the new map is the caches and no map underneath it.  Not too helpful.  I use windows explorer I think.

Look at the several posts immediatelty above - Google Map/Sat work ok with IE but Geocaching Map is blank

Losing this view (below) with its checkboxes -- for which I have an altogether different purpose than the design, but it works well for me -- will be a major hit.  It is one of the few reasons that I have to visit the site since most all else is done in other ways.

In addition, and just a comment since I won't use the feature:  When using the new search, scrolling down and selecting a cache from the left scroll/list area and returning places the user right back at the top of the list, so if there was a reason to be in the original list position, it is necessary to once again scroll all the way down to find that position again.  Not very friendly.

Lose This View With Checkboxes.jpg

Edited by ecanderson

I have a few problems with the new update of the map. (on my android phone) 

1. The symbol for "Take me, on the map, where I am right now" is GONE. 

2. When I try to find the X on the screen when I need to close a Cache-window, it shases around and around and I can"t use it. 

Why? 

What to do? I have tryed to re i stall the app several Times no luck.!

22 hours ago, WhiteFriar said:

This map is a backward step!  How do I use OpenStreetMap Default?

Should be the same as before: by going to https://www.geocaching.com/map/ or by clicking the "Play" menu at the top of the screen and then choosing "View map" on the drop-down menu, then choosing the OpenStreetMap default option. 

Opting in to, or out of, the new search map doesn't seem to affect my ability to access the old browse map.

Edited by hzoi

There is a bug I just found how to get rid of. Nobody mentioned it before. Perhaps it's specific to the French translation of the "new search map"?

Here is a screen capture (WMV video file, 243.03 KB) I made to illustrate the annoyance : https://www.dropbox.com/s/mc05eshlj7mtbn2/SearchMapBug.wmv?dl=1

Summary :

1. Click on "Filters" (by the way, in French, it should be Filtres, not Filters).
  2. Scroll down and check a box.
  3. Notice that the "Done" button disappears ("Terminé" in French).
  4. Scroll all the way up and check/uncheck a box to make the button reappear!

Previously, I opted out of the "new search map" because I didn't find a way to click on "Done" (I was stuck at step 3). Step 4 is easy to do but you have to think about it.

By the way, there is a couple of translation errors...

French translation errors:

1. "Filters" should be translated into "Filtres" (see previous post).
  2. The correct translation for "Search zone" (in this particular context) should be "Chercher dans cette zone" and not "Zone de recherche", which isn't helpful as it means something in French but not what it is meant to mean. :smile:

982991456_Screenshot-2019-1-30GeocachingGeocachingMaps.png.dcf4d838ddcf364190cd924653186593.png

I tried the new map and only an empty white screen is displayed. Where is the improvement ???
I want to use the old map again. But I have no option to switch back as there is only this empty white screen.
Currently I'm very unsatisfied because this is no improvment for me at all and I can't plan my next Gerocaching tour as I urgently need the map for the planing. I want the old map back and I want to keep it as long as possible.
How can I switch back ?

1 hour ago, mirabilos said:

Where’s OpenStreetMap on the new map? Can’t find it, and Google’s maps are utter s*** lacking any and all details a geocacher would need.

The default "Geocaching" map is based on OpenStreetMap data, but it's updated fairly infrequently and the style needs a lot of work. I'd really prefer to have the "Standard" OSM rendering (called "OpenStreetMap Default" on the browse map) available again, or at least OpenCycleMap.

On 1/28/2019 at 1:05 PM, hzoi said:

Should be the same as before: by going to https://www.geocaching.com/map/ or by clicking the "Play" menu at the top of the screen and then choosing "View map" on the drop-down menu, then choosing the OpenStreetMap default option. 

Opting in to, or out of, the new search map doesn't seem to affect my ability to access the old browse map.

Link you are showing takes you to the excellant standard "Live" map, where you do see the very good OSM option - the new "search" map we are testing (https://www.geocaching.com/play/map) has only three map options: Geocaching, Google Street & Google Satellite.

I'm sure Groundspeak is playing a delicate balancing game with the map options, and I see a good reason for them to steer most users to the "Geocaching" map.

The reason:  cost.

The "Geocaching" map is OSM-based (yay!) but is either self-hosted by Groundspeak, or maybe hosted by another provider (MapBox?) on a decently priced contract.

Google Maps cost money in bulk.  So does OpenCycleMap (pricing) and its siblings.  Dunno about Esri and friends, but probably.  OpenStreetMap Default is different; it's freely available but in strictly limited quantity (policy); it was never intended as an end-user map, and there's no pricing schedule I'm aware of.  If an app or website steers too many people to OSM Default, they'll suddenly see error tiles once the admins catch on.

So my guess is, Groundspeak steers people to the "Geocaching" map wherever possible for the search map (notice you can't set Google as a sticky default?), yet leaves all options on the corresponding browse map, which should now see less traffic.

And that keeps me happy, seeing as I only use the browse map. :)

PS, as an OSM editor who updates the map after finding a trail right behind the cache, I really really appreciate having the OSM Default option.  It lets me quickly verify that yes, the newly-mapped trail passes behind the cache as I remember, not in front of it.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Upvote 1

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for sharing all your feedback on the new map, it is much appreciated. I should note that all of the feedback is read, considered, and serves as a valuable input when we decide what to work on next. So thanks again!

Here’s what to expect with today’s small update:

• The map will now display in the geocacher’s chosen language.
  • Grammar enhancements to translations.
  • Updated the visual treatment of past Events. Events that have already occurred will  display in a half-tone to differentiate them from upcoming Events.
  • Fixed filters for ‘caches I own’  - this filter is accessible from the logged-in home page.
  • Fixed mapping Lists functionality.
  • Made some visual changes to the ‘Search this area’ passive label.

Please stay tuned to this forum thread for further updates.

Best,
Brendan

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the update, Brendon, but I see the Description and Hint panel still doesn't include the cache's Short Description field, so I must once again ask the question: Is this is by design or something that's going to be fixed?

I have thirty-something pre-2018 caches in which the Short Description field is an integral (and in some cases critical) part of the description, so if this is by design I'll have to go through the task of editing them all to move the Short Description content to the Long Description field, but I don't want to have to go to all that trouble if this is something that's about to be fixed.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 1/23/2019 at 11:11 AM, dprovan said:

And, OMG, the missing button to jump from searching to browsing is a *huge* feature loss.

Yes, I find it quite cumbersome to not have a one-click option that does what the "Clear Search Filters" button does on the 'old' Search Map.

On 1/23/2019 at 2:37 PM, thebruce0 said:

The new map is intended to replace all of the 'search' plot contexts, but the 'browse' map will remain.  Is that the proper interpretation?

I believe the correct answer is YES.

It's like this:

image.thumb.png.937b6b5055d5616b0ecc127b88ab8070.png

7 hours ago, brendanjw said:

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for sharing all your feedback on the new map, it is much appreciated. I should note that all of the feedback is read, considered, and serves as a valuable input when we decide what to work on next. So thanks again!

I would encourage GS to specifically say "Search Map" when referencing the 'new map'.  Just saying "new map" and "old map" across various channels causes unnecessary confusion and concern for cachers that didn't catch the one post (in the middle of page 2 of this thread) where you clarified that the Browse Map isn't changing.

So please, please, please prepend references to "map" with "Search". Otherwise, users will continue to be confused:   "Search Map"  !=  "Browse Map"

• Upvote 3
On 1/30/2019 at 3:59 PM, mirabilos said:

Where’s OpenStreetMap on the new map? Can’t find it, and Google’s maps are utter s*** lacking any and all details a geocacher would need.

You've been geocaching long enough that you ought to remember when geocachers didn't have access to any maps on the website.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, noncentric said:

Yes, I find it quite cumbersome to not have a one-click option that does what the "Clear Search Filters" button does on the 'old' Search Map.

I believe the correct answer is YES.

It's like this:

image.thumb.png.937b6b5055d5616b0ecc127b88ab8070.png

Are you really sure about all this? The 'old' and 'new' map use different technologies and show caches in a slightly different way. Heck, even when you click on a cache things look very different. Did Groundspeak REALLY confirm that they are going to maintain 2 maps that are that different?

I personally did not see any post really confirming this.

From a technical side it only makes sense to drop the 'old' map and ONLY keep the 'new' map around.

I assume that they will add feature to show PQ etc.