Offline images

Using the official ap but the pictures did not get downloaded for offline use - this time anyway.

One work around when online is to

open in browser view

on chrome click the download arrow and pictures and text are saved for that one cache.

Then view downloads when offline in the field.

However this is only for a single cache.

22 hours ago, wigglesworth said:

Using the official ap but the pictures did not get downloaded for offline use - this time anyway.

Interesting.  What version of the official app are you using?

22 hours ago, wigglesworth said:

One work around when online is to

open in browser view

on chrome click the download arrow and pictures and text are saved for that one cache.

Then view downloads when offline in the field.

However this is only for a single cache.

That would probably work too.  I find that opening the cache in the app and taking screenshots, especially as my phone allows me to take a scrolling screenshot, makes it easier for me to find the images later.  I have better luck at finding things in my gallery app than searching through my downloads, but that may be specific to my familiarity with my phone.

Interesting.  I just tried this again, as there are some multi caches in my area that require matching images with waypoints.  It looks like:

• If I open the cache description in the app before downloading the offline list, then the images appear when I have no cell/wifi service and open the cache from an offline list.
  • If I download an offline list without first opening the cache description, then I get broken image links when I have no cell/wifi service and open the cache from an offline list.

For the latter scenario, if I go back to having service and open the cache description, then "Refresh Geocache Data" or "Refresh Offline Data" - then the images will appear when I have no cell/wifi service and open the cache from an offline list.

My guess is that there's some type of image caching that's happening.  Not sure how that would work technically.

Edited by noncentric
formatting
  • Helpful 1
On 1/19/2019 at 11:25 AM, noncentric said:

Interesting.  I just tried this again, as there are some multi caches in my area that require matching images with waypoints.  It looks like:

• If I open the cache description in the app before downloading the offline list, then the images appear when I have no cell/wifi service and open the cache from an offline list.
  • If I download an offline list without first opening the cache description, then I get broken image links when I have no cell/wifi service and open the cache from an offline list.

For the latter scenario, if I go back to having service and open the cache description, then "Refresh Geocache Data" or "Refresh Offline Data" - then the images will appear when I have no cell/wifi service and open the cache from an offline list.

My guess is that there's some type of image caching that's happening.  Not sure how that would work technically.

On 1/20/2019 at 10:38 AM, wigglesworth said:

Thanks for the in depth analysis - hope a technical representative from the developers of the app spots this.

Hello!

That is good to know. I will bring this up.

Hi There

Can anybody help here.

Earlier it was possible to autosave the draft logged photos to the Local photo gallery on the phone, but this is not working any more. !!

Is there a security setting that should be enabled to do this ?

This function works fine on a GC App on iOS.

Version: GeoCaching App 8.30.1

Edited by Coyle_DK