Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
on4bam

No vacation caches, yeah sure..

8 hours ago, funkymunkyzone said:

I'm extremely glad that "vacation caches" continue to be published.  Hopefully with well thought out and functional maintenance plans. 

That was the point of my opening post. The maintenance plan is "throwdown" :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, baer2006 said:

16 hours ago, IceColdUK said:

What about those of us whose holiday destinations are chosen by a non-caching other half? 😉

Deal with it ;) ! In a healthy relationship, it should be no problem to come to a mutually agreeable arrangement. My wife is not caching, so I know what I'm talking about (... also, I don't do a lot of caching during our holidays ;) ).

This was slightly tongue-in-cheek.  Some of our trips are planned (a little) around caching, but for our main holiday, I make a point of choosing the location (with my wife) before checking on the caching possibilities.  Once there I make the best of it, and that has included organising events.

It looks like for this area there is really no problem with vacation caches. Not only is there a series where the maintenance plan is "throwdowns are welcomed" (see opening post), it seems that other caches with maintenance problems that are placed by visitors don't  risk archival.

A cache we DNF'd where plenty of cachers mention that the cache is gone and where a small plastic bag is placed under a rock (original was magnetic) has still seen no action. The CO lives in the UK and is no longer active (since 2017). Last OM was in 2014 and there's no action at all after NA logs (6 in all, 2 after the last CO activity).

This kind of non-action just encourages throwdowns and just plain fake found it logs.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 2

What geographic area are you referring to with your issues?  You didn't mention in your first post.  Mine all tend to be in the Caribbean and NA and CA mainland countries at similar latitudes (everything from Mexico south) where there are touristy areas to be found.

Assuming the accuracy of your 6 NA log comment, it's clear you have two kinds of reviewer issues in whatever part of the world you're working there.

1 hour ago, ecanderson said:

What geographic area are you referring to with your issues? 

Iceland.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1

3 hours ago, on4bam said:

Iceland.

Iceland has become one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world, despite not having a tropical climate.  That particular cache was placed in 2004 and in spot that is very frequently visited by tourists.  It's no surprise that it's gone missing and has had a few throwdowns.  Who knows, a local cacher might have placed one there a long time ago if the spot had been available.

50 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Iceland has become one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world, despite not having a tropical climate.  That particular cache was placed in 2004 and in spot that is very frequently visited by tourists.  It's no surprise that it's gone missing and has had a few throwdowns.  Who knows, a local cacher might have placed one there a long time ago if the spot had been available.

The problem is that this cache is surviving on throwdowns and maintenance by the CO (or by someone acting for the CO) in non-existent. Around here we see reviewers acting on NA logs within a day or two (with a note or TD), so seeing an abandoned cache remain active for so long is strange.

<offtopic> As for Iceland being popular.. we were surprised to see so many tourists this time of the year. We were there in summer 2001 and we could drive up to all interesting spots while now there were (full) large parkings 100's of meters away. The Blue Lagoon now has a reservation system to get in (high prices, fixed times), we just stopped there and went in 18 years ago.

Paths are made as well as boardwalks, there are more hotels, restaurants.... We just stayed in the SW for a few days, in 2001 we drove the ringway. </offtopic>

8 minutes ago, on4bam said:

As for Iceland being popular

I went to Iceland in 2017 in the first two weeks of May. Still cold with snow and ice, but definitely not crowded with tourists. I could just drive up to tourist sights. Advantage of going off peak. A few caches I had to miss though, still being under snow. But found 80.

Mid March is also off-peak ;)

I'm comparing with Summer 2001. Around that time I knew no-one who ever visited Iceland, now I know several people who went there. There were no tourist buses or cruise groups then, there are now. Going off the beaten track helps to get away from the crowds. If you ever go back, there's a nice graffiti walk  in Reykjavik, most art is in more quiet places.

BTW, the reason we went was Aurora, we saw it a few times in Norway and were looking for new scenery to keep us busy during the day (nothing new to do/see in Tromso). We just did 27, mostly (14) Earthcaches and just 3 traditionals. We didn't even stop at the traditional 200m from our hotel even though we drove past at least twice a day. We enjoyed the Hopsnes multi and Golden Circle Wherigo though.