bringing a GPS on a Norwegian Cruise Line

I am going on a 7 day cruise out of New Orleans on the Norwegian Breakaway (Norwegian Cruise Line and I leave on March 31, 2019).  

I am planning on bringing my GPS (etrek 20x) with me so I can do some Geocaching while in port.  Have anybody have any problems bringing a GPS with them on a cruise ship with Norwegian Cruise Line?  I did not see it on the Prohibited Items List but I would feel more comfortable double checking with other Geocachers. 

We took an Alaskan cruise with Norwegian in 2017 and didn't have any issues.   

I openly chatted about geocaching with a number of ship/cruise line personnel so we were pretty blatant about it.

Our room was two floors beneath the bridge and we did a couple caches from our balcony so the captain could see us using a GPS while he was at the helm.

I don't know why a cruise line would care.

• Upvote 1

Since it is a receiver and not a transmitter,  should not be a problem.  I used mine on Carnival last year and enjoyed seeing where I was in the vast blue ocean.  Try checking ship speed at various times.  They crank it up at night vs times when people are up and about.  Also, interesting on some of the excursions when you have no idea where you are in relation to the port.  Bon Voyage! PeoriaBill :>)

I had my GPS on Sea Princess a few years ago when a passenger went overboard on the final night. I was able to see the ships' track back to the search area, it was very precise. I could also see the search pattern made by the ship before it was released by the authorities in Canberra (I can't remember the official title).

As mentioned above, they can be handy for finding your way around a strange city or if a taxi is taking the long way to bump up the fare.

There should absolutely be no reason not to bring a GPS on a ship. Since 1999 I've used my GPS on all travels be it land, water or air. Since GPS receivers are build-in in most phones/tablets there's even little chance someone would check if you have a GPS. It's always nice see the flightpath or boattour track on the map afterwards.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 3:17 PM, Justin Of Terrytown said:

I am going on a 7 day cruise out of New Orleans on the Norwegian Breakaway (Norwegian Cruise Line and I leave on March 31, 2019).  

I am planning on bringing my GPS (etrek 20x) with me so I can do some Geocaching while in port.  Have anybody have any problems bringing a GPS with them on a cruise ship with Norwegian Cruise Line?  I did not see it on the Prohibited Items List but I would feel more comfortable double checking with other Geocachers. 

We did two cruises in the last 3 months, a Carnival Cruise and an NCL cruise and my GPS was not a problem.  I just put it in my hand carry and sent it through the metal detector and everything was fine.  I find cruising a great way of adding countries to my profile.  Happy Caching!!!

On 1/16/2019 at 4:16 PM, colleda said:

Never had a problem taking our Etrex20s with us. Cuba though, is a no-no.

And while everyone in Cuba agrees that this rule us silly (except the Oficina Nacional de Hidrografia y Geodesia, it seems), the best solution to logging the few caches available in Cuba is a half decent smart phone, pre-loaded with the desired location information. 

While the State acknowledges that smart phone location is now as good as a handheld consumer GPS, that doesn't seem to fuss them in the least.  You'll definitely find a TomTom or Garmin in some taxis there, but the drivers usually stick them in the glove box for a traffic stop just to avoid the aggravation of being questioned or fined.

A few folks have fought and won with consumer grade GPS units, but only if they had a lot of time to work through the paperwork after having them confiscated at Customs.  Stick with the smart phone.