How to write a Needs Maintenance Log?

Corfman Clan

I was also looking for a way how to report that a cache needs maintenance after I'd logged it and found this thread. It worked with the old version of the logging page as mentioned, but still I'd like to ask why this feature isn't available anymore on the new version? I think it's pretty essential and I wouldn't know how to do it (without the old version).

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, bliss-chris said:

I was also looking for a way how to report that a cache needs maintenance after I'd logged it and found this thread. It worked with the old version of the logging page as mentioned, but still I'd like to ask why this feature isn't available anymore on the new version? I think it's pretty essential and I wouldn't know how to do it (without the old version).

As mentioned, it is available in the new version.  Maybe there were a lot of "NM" logs when actual maintenance was not necessary, so TPTB have placed it in a new spot in the hopes that it helps.  Geocachers love to click them buttons just to see what the buttons do... see all the "This Is Collectible" threads.

2 hours ago, kunarion said:

As mentioned, it is available in the new version.  Maybe there were a lot of "NM" logs when actual maintenance was not necessary, so TPTB have placed it in a new spot in the hopes that it helps.  Geocachers love to click them buttons just to see what the buttons do... see all the "This Is Collectible" threads.

You're right, give me a button and I'll click it. :-D  But how do you write a NM log after you've logged it already? It's also quick and easy to log your find, all excited that were successful and how great a cache you've found, and only remember afterwards that you'd wanted to mention that the logbook was full. I'm just worried this might be a problem once the old version is disabled, which will probably happen some day. 

Edited by bliss-chris
14 minutes ago, bliss-chris said:

You're right, give me a button and I'll click it. :-D  But how do write a NM log after you've logged it already? It's also quick and easy to log your find, all excited that were successful and how great a cache you've found, and only remember afterwards that you'd wanted to mention that the logbook was full. I'm just worried this might be a problem once the old version is disabled, which will probably happen some day. 

I make a separate log from the Found It log, regardless.  Although I probably mention an issue in any log, for an NM I'm specifically detailing what the maintenance problem is.  If you previously submitted a Found It log could do that in a Note.  I don't know why there's extra paperwork now, just guessing it's partly due to unnecessary "NM".  Partly to remove clutter from menus.

But I see NM used frequently for wet or missing cache logs, broken containers or loose mounts.  For my cache, if you mention in your Found It log that "a tab has broken off the container" or whatever, I'll go fix it.  I don't wait around until the cache is much worse for the magical NM to appear.  In fact, add a phrase about cache condition, such as whether the log is kind of wet and I'll go fix it before it even becomes too wet to sign.  Finders and COs could cooperate to prevent most "NMs" before the cache gets that bad.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 4
  • Helpful 2
28 minutes ago, bliss-chris said:

But how do you write a NM log after you've logged it already?

If you already found the cache,  after you hit "Log a new visit",  in the "new" logging version,  Write Note is the default. 

- You then hit "Report a problem" on the bottom right, click on what's wrong and type the issue.

NM I feel is confusing for new folks using the "new" logging, as it doesn't actually say NM anywhere on it.

- You  just "Report a problem" on the bottom right, with options to choose what the problem is.

The "old" logging has that nice drop down with Needs Maintenance clearly visible on the bottom.  :)

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, kunarion said:

But I see NM used frequently for wet or missing cache logs, broken containers or loose mounts.  For my cache, if you mention in your Found It log that "a tab has broken off the container" or whatever, I'll go fix it.  I don't wait around until the cache is much worse for the magical NM to appear.  In fact, add a phrase about cache condition, such as whether the log is kind of wet and I'll go fix it before it even becomes too wet to sign.  Finders and COs could cooperate to prevent most "NMs" before the cache gets that bad.

Yep.

We act on logs as well, not waiting for someone to log an NM on something like "log almost full", to find that folks are using only one side of the logbook pages.  For some time our biggest issue.    :)

Now we find out that acting only on NM logs may be helping others look like they're keeping up with their cache's "quality".   :D

• Helpful 1