2019 Souvenirs Announced

niraD

Groundspeak has announced the dates for various 2019 Souvenirs:

• CITO Season 1 (March-May)
  • International Geocaching Day (August 17)
  • CITO Season 2 (September-November)
  • International EarthCache Day (October 12-13)
  • Geocaching International Film Festival (November 7-17)
  • Goodbye 2019 (December 31)
  • Hello 2020 (January 1, 2020)

They have also announced that there will be a new country/region Souvenir each month (rather than just 5 per year, in December).

For reference: Confirmed Geocaching souvenir moments for 2019

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, hal-an-tow said:

Souvenir "moments" ?!

That is a use of the word "moment" which seems utterly at odds with the English language ... how can there be  3 month "moment" ?

"Moments" is a bit odd, but I can see why they'd have to find some other term, with the mix of days, weekends, 10-day periods, and seasons. I can't think of a better term off the top of my head.

• Upvote 1
41 minutes ago, The A-Team said:

"Moments" is a bit odd, but I can see why they'd have to find some other term, with the mix of days, weekends, 10-day periods, and seasons. I can't think of a better term off the top of my head.

How about "periods" or "dates" or "availability"?

• Upvote 1

Souvenir Periods, vs Souvenir Moments - the latter is much more 'friendly', personable, marketable. The format is very dry, bland.
Marketing.  Moments is feel-good.
I like these promotional periods (or 'souvenir moments'). They add a bit of extra flavour to my geocaching habits, much like challenge caches. The souvenirs themselves are pretty worthless (I don't put much value into displaying arbitrary images) but sometimes the artwork is nice and I appreciate the effort HQ is putting in to provide a variety of experiences. Sometimes they're up my alley, sometimes not so much, but I ain't tossing the baby out of with the bathwater.

Looking forward to what HQ has in store for the 'moments'.

• Helpful 1
18 hours ago, niraD said:

They have also announced that there will be a new country/region Souvenir each month (rather than just 5 per year, in December).

Woo hoo!

17 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:

They also announced there will be other Planetary Pursuit style promotions...... 

12 hours ago, niraD said:

How about "periods" or "dates" or "availability"?

Meh.

Since this thread has been created I thought it would be a good place to discuss, make predictions, and hopefully won't happen often, report issues about not acquiring a souvenir one for which one has qualified.

Anyone want to predict which country/region will get a souvenir in January?   The Confirmed Souvenir Moments for 2019 page indicates one will be released this month.

If anyone from TPTB is reading could you suggest creating a 2019 Souvenirs thread in the Release Notes forum section.  The page above indicates that the announcements will show up next to the "Cache of the Month", which I assume will be in a blog post but it would be nice to able to keep track up them in an official forum thread as well.

On 1/11/2019 at 11:47 AM, niraD said:

13 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Anyone want to predict which country/region will get a souvenir in January?   The Confirmed Souvenir Moments for 2019 page indicates one will be released this month.

Reading the blog post, they say " will announce at least one new country or regional souvenir per month ".  Note that "at least" is emphasized with italics.  A bonus for those that enjoy country/region souvenirs.  Sounds like there will be at least 12 new country/region souvenirs in 2019.  I'd assume that it'll be the release of multiple regions within a country that causes multiple souvenir releases. Might be a clue for those playing the guessing game of what will be released.

9 hours ago, noncentric said:

Reading the blog post, they say " will announce at least one new country or regional souvenir per month ".  Note that "at least" is emphasized with italics.  A bonus for those that enjoy country/region souvenirs.  Sounds like there will be at least 12 new country/region souvenirs in 2019.  I'd assume that it'll be the release of multiple regions within a country that causes multiple souvenir releases. Might be a clue for those playing the guessing game of what will be released.

Specifically they said that one or more souvenir would be released the third Wednesday of each month.

Throwing out a wild guess I'm going to predict that the next country/region souvenir will be Puerto Rico.  If I were to make two guesses the other would be Hong Kong.

3 hours ago, The Whittles said:

like to see one for Mongolia and Palestine or Israel or Jordan ,places where you put your life on the line for a cache haha

anyone for Iran?

I know someone who has visited there (I think more than once). He tells me he felt safe, found very friendly people and it was one of the best countries to visit.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, The Whittles said:

like to see one for Mongolia and Palestine or Israel or Jordan ,places where you put your life on the line for a cache haha

anyone for Iran?

When we were in Israel, Palestine and Jordan a year and a half ago, I never felt my life was "on the line" any more than everywhere else I've been.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, The Whittles said:

anyone for Iran?

When I visited Kenya in July  I was considering staying at the DusitD2 hotel in Nairobi.  Yesterday 15 people were killed there from an attack by Al-shabaab militants. I ended up staying at the Park Inn (it was book by the organization I was visiting) about a half mile away from the DusitD2.

21 minutes ago, Moun10Bike said:

I'd love to cache in Peru some day and thought I've have the opportunity a few years ago when I was tentatively invited to a meeting that was to take place in Iquitos.  Alas, the person that was going to organize the meeting never followed through.  

So Peru is the 4th country with a souvenir (of the 14 available ) in South America.   Meanwhile, the continent of Africa has 54 countries and has 3 souvenirs.  The middle east has none, though some lists of middle east countries include Turkey which is actually split between Europe and Asia.

7 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

The middle east has none

I vote for UAE, as even though only a few caches there, many travellers pass through there, and so many geocachers have found caches there. It's a major stopover between Oceania/Asia and Europe. Dubai is the world's busiest airport for international passengers. It's a major hub. To reflect this, United Arab Emirates needs a souvenir.

http://www.traveller.com.au/dubai-again-tops-ranking-as-worlds-busiest-international-airport-despite-slower-growth-h0vqzx

9 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

I vote for UAE, as even though only a few caches there, many travellers pass through there, and so many geocachers have found caches there. It's a major stopover between Oceania/Asia and Europe. Dubai is the world's busiest airport for international passengers. It's a major hub. To reflect this, United Arab Emirates needs a souvenir.

http://www.traveller.com.au/dubai-again-tops-ranking-as-worlds-busiest-international-airport-despite-slower-growth-h0vqzx

I'd vote for UAE for the next one too.  I've had a layover there twice (four if you count each direction) on the way to/from Africa. For a time, GS seem to be choosing countries for souvenirs based upon to number of geocaches in the country.   For me, it would make more sense to base it on the  number of geocachers that visit a country (or just the number of finds).  On the other hand,  if one equates souvenirs with a real life souvenir one might collect, it's usually the rarest souvenirs that have the most sentimental value.  For that reason I like seeing country souvenirs for some of the least visited countries and am hoping that they'll release one for Ethiopia (been there three times) and they already have some nice art work for that one.

Using completely unscientific methods (ie. wild guess), I expect that the following would be released over the course of this year (in no particular order):

• Egypt
  • Hong Kong
  • Israel
  • Vatican City State
  • India
  • Monaco
  • Costa Rica
  • Ireland
  • Taiwan

...based on tourist visits and remaining countries with the highest populations of cachers and caches. After those, I'd say it's pretty much an open field. It would be nice to see a few of the small Caribbean island nations (Puerto Rico is the only one so far, and it isn't even a "nation").

Number of tourists per year

https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/indicators/ST.INT.ARVL/rankings

Perhaps a guide to which countries should have souvenirs next. I would ignore Saudi Arabia, because I imagine half the world's population would find it difficult to cache there, but I would suggest that after crossing off those countries which already have a souvenir, take the next ones at the top of the list.

Edited by Goldenwattle
11 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Number of tourists per year

https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/indicators/ST.INT.ARVL/rankings

Perhaps a guide to which countries should have souvenirs next. I would ignore Saudi Arabia, because I imagine half the world's population would find it difficult to cache there, but I would suggest that after crossing off those countries which already have a souvenir, take the next ones at the top of the list.

Because Saudi Arabia is so difficult to get to is EXACTLY why it SHOULD have a souvenir!

11 hours ago, The A-Team said:

Using completely unscientific methods (ie. wild guess), I expect that the following would be released over the course of this year (in no particular order):

• Egypt
  • Hong Kong
  • Israel
  • Vatican City State
  • India
  • Monaco
  • Costa Rica
  • Ireland
  • Taiwan

...based on tourist visits and remaining countries with the highest populations of cachers and caches. After those, I'd say it's pretty much an open field. It would be nice to see a few of the small Caribbean island nations (Puerto Rico is the only one so far, and it isn't even a "nation").

That's a pretty good list.  Ireland will likely get a country souvenir since it the only country which has state/province/etc. souvenirs that doesn't have one for the country.  Costa Rica would definitely be a good choice.  I'm not so sure about Vatican City or India.  Bahamas might be a good candidate for another souvenir in the Caribbean since it's such a common stop for so many cruise lines.  

5 minutes ago, me N u said:

Because Saudi Arabia is so difficult to get to is EXACTLY why it SHOULD have a souvenir!

Females have limited freedom there, so half the population would not have the ease of finding a cache there. It would be okay for males; very much not okay for females. In fact, females might be excluded from finding many of them.

Edited by Goldenwattle
7 minutes ago, me N u said:

From that web page: " For some countries number of arrivals is limited to arrivals by air and for others to arrivals staying in hotels."

For the purposes of geocaching that's an important distinction.  I see that Saudi Arabia has 10 million more visitors than UAE.  I suspect that arrivals at Riyadh airport are counted in Saudi Arabia while UAE may only count arrivals at hotels as the airports in Dubai and Abu Dhabi probably get a  lot more arrivals than Riyadh.  Arriving a Riyadh airport isn't any more difficult than arriving in Dubai, Abu Dhabi or Doha (Qatar). However, UAE doesn't require getting a visa, which would allow one to leave the airport and find a cache, for citizens of most countries. Saudi Arabia requires a visa (not sure if one can be obtained upon arrival).  

7 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

From that web page: " For some countries number of arrivals is limited to arrivals by air and for others to arrivals staying in hotels."

For the purposes of geocaching that's an important distinction.  I see that Saudi Arabia has 10 million more visitors than UAE.  I suspect that arrivals at Riyadh airport are counted in Saudi Arabia while UAE may only count arrivals at hotels as the airports in Dubai and Abu Dhabi probably get a  lot more arrivals than Riyadh.  Arriving a Riyadh airport isn't any more difficult than arriving in Dubai, Abu Dhabi or Doha (Qatar). However, UAE doesn't require getting a visa, which would allow one to leave the airport and find a cache, for citizens of most countries. Saudi Arabia requires a visa (not sure if one can be obtained upon arrival).  

It is not possible to get a visa on arrival - and tourist visas are non existent too, with the exception of those performing hadj/umrah.

By the way Mrs me N u found it very okay to go out geocaching - please do not base posts on assumptions/stereotypes.

Edited by me N u
4 hours ago, ErewashPaddler said:

I'd like to see the four component parts of the UK have their own souvenirs: England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.
And, since I've been there, and it's the only place I've cached without a country souvenir, what about Serbia!

Souvenirs for England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland will likely never happen since they're not recognized as distinct countries in the list of countries GS uses.  That list is mostly based on the UN Geopolitical ontology and similar to the ISO-3166 countries standard, neither of which recognizes the four component parts of the UK either.

Serbia might get one eventually since there's already one for Croatia.

On 1/18/2019 at 11:53 AM, NYPaddleCacher said:
On 1/18/2019 at 6:59 AM, ErewashPaddler said:

I'd like to see the four component parts of the UK have their own souvenirs: England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.
And, since I've been there, and it's the only place I've cached without a country souvenir, what about Serbia!

Souvenirs for England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland will likely never happen since they're not recognized as distinct countries in the list of countries GS uses.  That list is mostly based on the UN Geopolitical ontology and similar to the ISO-3166 countries standard, neither of which recognizes the four component parts of the UK either.

The UK regions are what I was thinking of, but it seems it might be complicated because what's currently identified as "Ireland, Ulster" is actually part of the UK. But maybe it would be possible.  I don't know enough about UK politics to know whether it would be problematic or not.  Maybe a find in "North Wales" or "South Wales" would grant a Wales souvenir, a find in "Northern Scotland" or "Southern Scotland" would grant a Scotland souvenir, a find in "Ireland, Ulster" would grant a "Northern Ireland" souvenir, finds in the other regions of Ireland would grant an Ireland souvenir, and finds in other parts of the UK would grant a Britain/England souvenir?

It sounds like there will be at least one month where multiple souvenirs will be released. That will probably be because some country with multiple regions will have all of those regional souvenirs released at once.  Australia, US, Germany, Canada, have such regional souvenirs - Are there other countries where Regional souvenirs would make sense?

8 hours ago, noncentric said:

The UK regions are what I was thinking of, but it seems it might be complicated because what's currently identified as "Ireland, Ulster" is actually part of the UK. But maybe it would be possible.  I don't know enough about UK politics to know whether it would be problematic or not.  Maybe a find in "North Wales" or "South Wales" would grant a Wales souvenir, a find in "Northern Scotland" or "Southern Scotland" would grant a Scotland souvenir, a find in "Ireland, Ulster" would grant a "Northern Ireland" souvenir, finds in the other regions of Ireland would grant an Ireland souvenir, and finds in other parts of the UK would grant a Britain/England souvenir?

I thought that when GS release regional souvenirs in Ireland they should have, instead, release just one Ireland souvenirs and multiple regional souvenirs in the UK.  They would not necessarily correspond to what people think of as countries in the UK.   The difficulty with creating *country* souvenirs for Scotland, Wales, North Ireland, and England is that they're not officially characterized as countries by the new most commonly used authoritative lists (the UN geopolitical ontology and the ISO-3166).  Without a countryID for them,  it would require custom code that would only be used for those countries to indicate whether someone has found a cache within one of the country borders.  The decision by GS to treat North Ireland as part of Ireland complicates matters and the biggest challenge would be how to identify all of the existing caches in the UK.  Any changes to country or state IDs is going to impact that statistics for a lot of geocachers.  

GS could create regional souvenirs for of the regions within the UK.  Here is the list from the old Advanced Search page:

East Midlands
Eastern England
London
North East England
Wales
North West England
Northern Scotland
South East England
South Wales
South West England
Southern England
Southern Scotland
West Midlands
Yorkshire

Note that North Ireland is not on that list.  Each of those regions has a unique state ID so souvenirs could be awarded to those which found a cache with the specific stateID.  Any cache in those regions also has a countryID for the UK so one would get a souvenir for the "country" as well.

1 hour ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

GS could create regional souvenirs for of the regions within the UK

I don't think many people in the UK would be very interested in souvenirs for the regions as they're all arbitrary concoctions (except Yorkshire and London) that were invented for the purpose of splitting up the regions for Geocaching. If the regions had been based on UK counties (as they have for states in the USA, Germany etc.,) or the constituent nations  then they might be of more interest.

I think a happy compromise might be, as noncentric said, to create regional souvenirs named England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland such that finding a cache in either of the Groundspeak regions which form part of that geographical nation  would give you the souvenir, but then I don't think the "Ireland,Ulster" exactly matches the geopolotical boundary for Northern Ireland so that would be even more complicated.

Whether that's technically difficult, or even possible, is difficult to say without knowing precisely how the coding works but I would imagine it could be done but would probably have to have code  specifically written just for the UK so probably won't happen.

I suppose it's all our fault, and if you conducted a survey over here asking people which country they live in you would get a mix of  England/Scotland/Ireland/Northern Ireland/Wales or Great Britain, or the United Kingdom. Or  which nationality they consider themselves to be you would get a mix of  English/Scots/Irish/Welsh or British. So taking all that into account I think it's  unrealistic to expect Groundspeak to be definitively correct when it comes to issuing souvenirs.

And in any case, at least for me, this particular subject would get firmly subsumed by the "They have many  more important things they should be working on" rule, so isn't deserving of much coding effort.

8 hours ago, MartyBartfast said:

I think a happy compromise might be, as noncentric said, to create regional souvenirs named England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland such that finding a cache in either of the Groundspeak regions which form part of that geographical nation  would give you the souvenir, but then I don't think the "Ireland,Ulster" exactly matches the geopolotical boundary for Northern Ireland so that would be even more complicated.

My idea would be as follows, although I'm not sure if anyone in the UK/Ireland would find these delineations politically offensive.

GC Region --> awarded souvenir

Ireland: Dublin --> Ireland souvenir
Ireland: Munster --> Ireland souvenir
Ireland: Leinster --> Ireland souvenir
Ireland: Connacht --> Ireland souvenir
Ireland: Ulster --> Northern Ireland souvenir -- The current Ireland: Ulster souvenir mentions that it contains parts of Ireland that are in the UK, so it's a bit iffy.
United Kingdom: North Wales --> Wales souvenir
United Kingdom: South Wales --> Wales souvenir
United Kingdom: Northern Scotland --> Scotland souvenir
United Kingdom: Southern Scotland --> Scotland souvenir
United Kingdom: London --> Britain/Great Britain/England souvenir
United Kingdom: Yorkshire --> Britain/Great Britain/England souvenir
United Kingdom: Eastern England --> Britain/Great Britain/England souvenir
United Kingdom: Southern England --> Britain/Great Britain/England souvenir
United Kingdom: North West England --> Britain/Great Britain/England souvenir
United Kingdom: North East England --> Britain/Great Britain/England souvenir
United Kingdom: South West England --> Britain/Great Britain/England souvenir
United Kingdom: South East England --> Britain/Great Britain/England souvenir

8 hours ago, MartyBartfast said:

And in any case, at least for me, this particular subject would get firmly subsumed by the "They have many  more important things they should be working on" rule, so isn't deserving of much coding effort.

They've already announced that they are creating new souvenirs anyway.  I'm not sure that such a UK/Ireland plan would be incrementally more work than other souvenirs.  But we're all just spitballing here anyway.  I suspect GS already has their souvenir plans in place for the year, so it really doesn't matter what wild ideas we come up with here.  ?

Edited by noncentric
strike-through Britain/Great Britain
  • Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, noncentric said:

Ireland: Ulster --> Northern Ireland souvenir -- The current Ireland: Ulster souvenir mentions that it contains parts of Ireland that are in the UK, so it's a bit iffy.

From a quick look at the GC search utility it appears that the Ulster region contains areas that are  not in Northern Ireland but  are in Ireland (Eire),  so that's not quite so straightforward.

Otherwise I think that would be a reasonable proposition, except (Great) Britain includes England AND Scotland AND Wales, so if there was to be a (Great) Britain souvenir it would have to include all the regions except Ireland and  Northern Ireland.

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, MartyBartfast said:

From a quick look at the GC search utility it appears that the Ulster region contains areas that are  not in Northern Ireland but  are in Ireland (Eire),  so that's not quite so straightforward.

Hhmmm. That could be messy then.

12 minutes ago, MartyBartfast said:

Otherwise I think that would be a reasonable proposition, except (Great) Britain includes England AND Scotland AND Wales, so if there was to be a (Great) Britain souvenir it would have to include all the regions except Ireland and  Northern Ireland.

Updated my post to remove the Britain/Great Britain wording and make those "England".  That might be better?

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, noncentric said:

My idea would be as follows, although I'm not sure if anyone in the UK/Ireland would find these delineations politically offensive.

They've already announced that they are creating new souvenirs anyway.  I'm not sure that such a UK/Ireland plan would be incrementally more work than other souvenirs.  But we're all just spitballing here anyway.  I suspect GS already has their souvenir plans in place for the year, so it really doesn't matter what wild ideas we come up with here.  ?

That looks pretty reasonable  other than how to handle Northern Ireland.  GS has traditionally  identified Ulster, Ireland as part of Ireland even though the souvenir page claims that it contains areas that are part of the UK.  Are you suggesting getting rid of the existing regional souvenirs in Ireland?    

53 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

That looks pretty reasonable  other than how to handle Northern Ireland.  GS has traditionally  identified Ulster, Ireland as part of Ireland even though the souvenir page claims that it contains areas that are part of the UK.  Are you suggesting getting rid of the existing regional souvenirs in Ireland?    

This seems to be moving dangerously into Brexit territory. ?

• Funny 1
16 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I don't suggest removing any souvenirs.  My post was along the lines of guessing what areas of the world might warrant multiple souvenirs being released together, as the original announcement intimated that there would be at least one month where multiple souvenirs would be released and my guess is that multiple souvenirs being released in the same month would happen because of a regional situation.  The UK is one region that I came up with.

So, my idea was to add a type of "country" souvenir to add to the current "region" souvenirs.  Along the lines of how there were "US State" souvenirs and then a "USA" country souvenir was released, same with Australia states -> country, and Canada provinces -> country.  ETA:  And yes, I know that Wales, Scotland, etc are not "countries" - but my point is a 'supra-region' or whatever.  Let's not nitpick the exact terminology.

Edited by noncentric
eta
  • Upvote 1