My geocache has been taken home with somebody

EmzyJanezy

1 minute ago, EmzyJanezy said:

They have messaged me to say they are going to return it tomorrow!

What should I do in these circumstances?  Should I temporarily disable the geocache until I see the cache has returned?

I'd disable it temporarily. If it doesn't show by tomorrow, then I would ask them when they could bring it back and wait until they do before you enable the cache.

Hope that helps!

• Upvote 2
8 minutes ago, EmzyJanezy said:

They have messaged me to say they are going to return it tomorrow!

Should I temporarily disable the geocache until I see the cache has returned?

Yes.  :)

Nice that the person joined just to tell you they "found" it .  Did you actually talk to them, or are you simply relying on their log ?

Curious, as "I found this by mistake but I’ll re hide with goodies inside I work for Durham county council and found whilst working today I’ll log it so it can be found again " sounds (to me) that maybe they may not really understand the hobby. 

- "Logging it" not what enables it to be found again, and instead needs to be returned to that same spot.

36 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Yes.  :)

Nice that the person joined just to tell you they "found" it .  Did you actually talk to them, or are you simply relying on their log ?

Curious, as "I found this by mistake but I’ll re hide with goodies inside I work for Durham county council and found whilst working today I’ll log it so it can be found again " sounds (to me) that maybe they may not really understand the hobby. 

- "Logging it" not what enables it to be found again, and instead needs to be returned to that same spot.

Ah yes that's true, "I'll log so it can be found again" sounds bizarre.  I had marked it as being a geocache with geocache.com on it so I guess they took it home to find out what its all about but yeah they can't properly understand if they made that statement and yes I also saw they joined simply to log it.

All I can say is the "goodies" inside had better be good haha!  Probably sweets or something not suitable for a geocache but we shall see!

All they messaged me was to say they are sorry but they have taken it and added goodies and signed the log book and they will mail when they have put it back tomorrow morning.  Once I've received their mail I'll go out and check its there an re-enable it.

Thanks for all advice.

30 minutes ago, EmzyJanezy said:

Just thinking "I'll re-hide with goodies inside" - sounds like they might be intending to hide it elsewhere?  I will message the geocacher to ensure they understand.

Yes, I've seen this happen before. It seems like that is a common reaction. 

I had a cache once that was found by someone's dog. He took it home and then looked on the website and then returned it. I moved it to a spot that was a little less "dog friendly"!

1 hour ago, EmzyJanezy said:

Just thinking "I'll re-hide with goodies inside" - sounds like they might be intending to hide it elsewhere?  I will message the geocacher to ensure they understand.

The problem these days is the "Painted Rocks" where someone paints a rock 'hides' it and someone else finds it, then hides it somewhere else...

Hope your cache finds it's way back to where you placed it.

And better to check it IS there, and not full of unsuitable things. (Sweets etc)

• Upvote 1

I fear without a GPS they won't be able to place it back in exactly the correct spot so once I've received their message to say they have returned it I will definitely go out and look for it.  Its a special one I set up for my daughter so I really hope it comes back.  I paid for a decent box and camo bag and it contained some nice trinkets and was a good size for trackables and she was really excited about it.

8 hours ago, EmzyJanezy said:

Good idea.  :)  There's a couple similar hobbies that move things around.  We used to do it here...

Back when the site had an "Intro" app, we had a few ammo cans moved to other locations.  I believe geocaching 101 wasn't as noticeable as now.

IIRC we had all but one found by long-time cachers (most were just alongside trails). 

Guess with no idea on coordinates and such, that was good enough...

9 hours ago, Touchstone said:

Either the Home Location you post on your Profile, or your Find/Hide history is a pretty good guide in most cases.

Checking a users profile to see where they've hidden caches is usually a pretty good indicator as the guidelines limit how far from ones home location we can hide a cache.  My Find history would not be so good since a very high percentage of my finds are far away from home.

A few years ago, after dropping off my son at gymnastics class, I walked over to where a recent cache was hidden.  I searched around for a bit and saw a bic pen lying on the ground and just put it into my pocket, doing my part in a CITO effort.  On the way back to pick up my son, I came upon what appeared to be a pile of bear scat (about 150 feet from the gymnastics building).  I took a photo of it, placing the pen next to it to show the scale, and then when I got home, posted the photo here and asked if anyone could identify that it was, in fact, bear scat.  About an hour later I had a thought.   I took out the pen from my pocket, opened it up, and found a blank log sheet inside.  I immediately sent the CO a note indicating that I had accidentally taken the cache home with me and that I would replace it the next day.  I don't recall if he disabled it for that short time, but I would have if it were my cache.  If it would have saved even one persons time wasted searching for a cache I knew wasn't there it was worth the time it takes to disable and enable the cache.  

As it turned out, that pen made a very poor container and after the next couple of found it logs mentioned a soggy log, the CO archived the cache.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher
4 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

About an hour later I had a thought.   I took out the pen from my pocket, opened it up, and found a blank log sheet inside.

Sometimes I wonder how many of my DNFs were "trash caches", since I often do CITO while searching for a cache.

1 hour ago, niraD said:

Sometimes I wonder how many of my DNFs were "trash caches", since I often do CITO while searching for a cache.

I do think its a bit of a bad idea to use items that could be picked up mistakenly.  I've seen dog poo caches and chewing gum caches and ones that look like general rubbish.  Or even a leaf among fallen leaves. These will eventually be cleared away, surely.  So I would never use a pen, as above, for the reason I would suspect somebody may come along and pick it up.

Having said that, I do have a blackberry, but once its pulled out of the ground and the tube its attached to is discovered, its obviously not a toy or a real blackberry.

Saw the photo in the cache gallery and it's great that you have the website and "geocache" indicated on the container. One thing I might suggest is to add "Do Not Remove".  This might help non-cachers understand that they shouldn't be taking the container home with them. I've seen the message on some cache stash notes/logsheets.

I have a Glue Stick as a cache. It's been out for a couple of years and seems resistant to water ingress. On removing the cap and twisting the base the rolled log comes out, neat. I have a small GC identifying sticker on the outside of it (to prevent CITO) but it still gets overlooked occasionally.

SNNNNNNNNNNOOOOORRRRTTTTTTTT ... had a brand new "phone APP cacher" send me a note that went something like this>

"I took it home because I didn't know what to do after finding it.  Where do I hide it next"?

Welllllllllllll ... after a brief meet up and a proper orientation that soul is a most accomplished cacher.

Me thinks there needs to be a better tutorial for the new folks.

Buuuuuuut HEYYYYYYYYY ... I am just an old goat and may not have a grip on reality

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, EmzyJanezy said:

Well he never brought it back ?

Possible since they said they worked for "county council" they discussed it with someone there and were told not to replace ?

Did you ask for permission to place it ?    I'd think if you did and they happened to ask around, they'd feel more comfortable about dropping it off.

Most folks I know here have some version of the flu right now (me too).  Could be simply not able to yet.  :)

- Important things counting more than something you're half-interested in...