Etrex Venture HC date

Jim18655

Old Venture HC started showing dates on waypoints as created in 1999. I ran the web updater per Garmin's instruction and no luck for a fix. The Garmin tech told me there would be a second page of updates but the web-updater returned a "no new updates" message and I couldn't see any way to proceed further. I tried a master reset and that didn't work either. I think it's a roll-over date/ firmware issue. Any suggestions? Forum search hasn't yielded any answers or complaints of the same issue. This isn't as much a problem as curiosity issue.

Edited by Jim18655

This problem first arose in October 2018, when the GPS week number hit 1000. Pure guesswork on my part, but I think that the unit software will not handle a week number with greater than 3 decimal digits. In April 2019 the GPS week number will roll over from 1023 to 0, but I don't know what date will be displayed after this rollover.

I reported the issue to Garmin in November 2018, and they replied that they were working on a fix. I contacted Garmin again in January 2019, they said they were still working on it and had no forecast for when they would have a solution.

As well as the etrex Venture HC which has this bug, I have an even older etrex Venture (green body, monochrome screen) that doesn't have the problem.

Edited by zz44

A Venture HC will not have an EOW issue.  No Garmins have EOW issues.  I own a Garmin 38 and it does not have an EOW issues.

Put it outside and turn it on and let it see the satellites for at least two hours.  This ensures that the almanac data is updated completely.  Then go to the satellite page and see if the date and time is correct.  Hook to a computer and check the dates on both new waypoints and the tracklog after doing this.

What is showing for the firmware and GPS firmware?

http://gawisp.com/perry/etrex/venture/

See what you have got.  Maybe try forcing a different firmware to see what happens.

You can also try some EOW options here: http://gpsinformation.net/main/eowgarmin.htm  It is for older models but you never know.

1) Turn on your receiver. 
2) Place it into AUTOLOCATE MODE.  Note:  No other mode will do.  Select a country won't do. 
3) Place the GPS in an outdoor location where it has a full sky view. 
4) Within an hour it should get 3D lock. 
5) Leave it outside for as long as possible up to about 12 hours so it can collect ephemeris data from all of the SVs.  (If you stop in the middle,  it is OK,  but the GPS will have to collect the other data later which is just fine too.

7 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

You can see what was changed in each firmware update on the Firmware page here. Randomly loading different firmware versions will not resolve the issue.

Actually it might.  If the firmware is corrupted, getting a new version, any new version, will fix the issue. He can then install the newest firmware again.

16 hours ago, Jim18655 said:

I reloaded the current firmware with the web updater and it didn't solve the issue.

I don't think that will work.  It will just ignore the new load as it the same as what was there.  Try putting on an older firmware.  It needs a clear view of the sky for a long period of time.

I left it out all night and still showing May 29, 1999. I checked my Nuvi 205 this morning and it has the same date which leads me to believe this is a EOW issue. Back in the first week of December I used the Nuvi to drive to my son''s new house. He told me the trip should be about 1 1/2 hours but the Nuvi told me I would arrive  2 1/2 hours later.  I found the DST didn't turn off. I thought it was just a glitch in the system so I manually set the time. Now I think it was working correctly since the Nuvi though it was April. I haven't tried to update the Nuvi yet.

On 1/9/2019 at 3:12 PM, Red90 said:

A Venture HC will not have an EOW issue.  No Garmins have EOW issues.  I own a Garmin 38 and it does not have an EOW issues.

Despite these reassurances, I was glad to get a response from Garmin yesterday. They have a fix for the incorrect date on the eTrex Venture HC.

The link to the new firmware is

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=qpVUfZBKI28PqnPd6HuXa6

Their email indicated that this was also applicable to the Summit HC, Legend H and Vista H. There are some slightly inconvenient caveats about which Windows OS can be used to install the new firmware, but I can live with those.

As we are only three weeks away from the next rollover, it will be fingers crossed for a while. 

13 minutes ago, zz44 said:

Despite these reassurances, I was glad to get a response from Garmin yesterday. They have a fix for the incorrect date on the eTrex Venture HC.

The link to the new firmware is

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=qpVUfZBKI28PqnPd6HuXa6

Their email indicated that this was also applicable to the Summit HC, Legend H and Vista H. There are some slightly inconvenient caveats about which Windows OS can be used to install the new firmware, but I can live with those.

As we are only three weeks away from the next rollover, it will be fingers crossed for a while. 

Glad I didn't read that before I updated my eTrex Legend H... I used a Windows 10 x64 machine - and although the first two or three attempts (via WebUpdater) did time out and fail, the update did eventually complete successfully.

5 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

Glad I didn't read that before I updated my eTrex Legend H... I used a Windows 10 x64 machine - and although the first two or three attempts (via WebUpdater) did time out and fail, the update did eventually complete successfully.

For what it's worth, I also put the update on to the eTrex using a Windows 10 computer.

32 minutes ago, Red90 said:

Why does the Etrex page state that Express can be used?

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=14639

Because they want you to use Garmin Express first.

When GE realizes it cant update the connected unit (it will recognize it still), it tells you to use WebUpdater instead, and provides a download link for those who have not installed it yet.