Off topic- travel in The Netherlands

BugLuv

I’m sorry to impose! I was curious if someone would mind helping me understand transportation in the Netherlands. I am lucky enough to be going to Nijmegen. I’ve been looking at transportation online, but it’s not the same as hearing from people who live there. Id like to spend a couple days in Amsterdam. I’d love any comments on transportation between Amsterdam and Nijmegen. What’s the best way to travel and it is difficult?  If I don’t spend time in Amsterdam, What’s the best airport to fly into to reach Nijmegen? I’m trying to learn basic phrases....but....What’s the likelihood I’ll run into someone who speaks English if I have a problem?To stay on topic, I plan to geocache while there. ? I really do appreciate any comments from those who live there. Thank you!

This website can help you plan your trips by public transportation in The Netherlands. Included are train, bus, metro (subway) and tram.

There's also an app called 9292 in Google/Apple/Windows Store which does the same and can also provide actual information about delays and the shortest walking route towards the nearest station. There's free wifi on almost every station and vehicle.

9 hours ago, BugLuv said:

I’m sorry to impose! I was curious if someone would mind helping me understand transportation in the Netherlands. I am lucky enough to be going to Nijmegen. I’ve been looking at transportation online, but it’s not the same as hearing from people who live there. Id like to spend a couple days in Amsterdam. I’d love any comments on transportation between Amsterdam and Nijmegen. What’s the best way to travel and it is difficult?  If I don’t spend time in Amsterdam, What’s the best airport to fly into to reach Nijmegen? I’m trying to learn basic phrases....but....What’s the likelihood I’ll run into someone who speaks English if I have a problem?To stay on topic, I plan to geocache while there. ? I really do appreciate any comments from those who live there. Thank you!

Airport: if you fly directly from the US there is only one airport in the Netherlands: Schiphol (Amsterdam Airport). If you are travelling around Europe and using budget airlines coming from another country another airport might be more logical.

The best way to travel in/to/around Amsterdam is by public transport. Public transport is the easiest if you want to visit main cities in the Netherlands, if you want to go outside the cities and explore it's better to rent a car. Be aware taxi's are a lot more expensive here compared to the US, but also when you rent a car: expect to spend more because of gas prices, parking costs etc.  

I would have to know how long you'll be in the Netherlands (in both places), where you're staying and what want to do to give you more detailed info on transport.

Don't worry about finding someone who speaks English, almost everybody does. But it is highly appreciated if you speak a few words Dutch instead of just starting in English knowing everybody will understand it anyway! 

With respect to geocaching: there are many many geocaches in the Netherlands. So I would suggest to do some homework on which ones you really want to find, otherwise you'll end up spending lots of time reading caches pages and finding containers instead of enjoying our country. If you'd like any suggestions just give some more info on what type you like (for instance: quick finds near sightseeing spots, or multi's guiding you along sightseeing spots, old geocaches, specific types like virtual/Wherigo, challenging geocaches, geocaches big enough to exchange trackables etc.).  And if you like to meet other geocachers of course can post a message here, but you could also see if there are any events now or in the near future near the locations you'll be staying and ask the organizers if they could help you set up a meet a greet event. This way they can help you pick a suitable place and time and of course they can help you with any info on local caches you might need with respect to language issues etc.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions and enjoy the Netherlands!

Trains in the Netherlands are really easy to use. You can book online - we got our hotel to print out tickets for us last summer when we did this as we didn't want to book massively in advance. The Dutch railways website lets you do this, will give you times and so on and is easy to use and works in English as well. I'd aim to get one of the trains that you don't have to change on! Im fairly certain that most of the staton announcements are in English as well (certainly for the trains that go to Amsterdam).

For bus information, it might be best to ask in your hotel. We used some (in Zwolle) and they were fine. We have used trams in Amsterdam before as well which is interesting if you've not used that sort of thing before. I can't remember how the trams work, but we just paid the driver on the buses.

We spent a few days there last summer and I don't think we came across anyone who doesn't speak English. Depending on what you're looking for in Amsterdam (erm...) you might want to get hold of some kind of map in advance to help you figure out which parts of the city to visit. I used the two (?) virtual caches in the city as my main aiming points and walked down a few side streets between them (which was interesting, rather than "interesting").

Again, thanks to all who helped with my travels.

I'm really looking forward to geocaching in the Netherlands. I will spend most of my time in Nijmegen, and maybe a day or three in Amsterdam, especially since I will be flying straight from the US. I LOVE trackables and plan to bring some with me and hope to bring some back to the US. I am not really into Micros, but more interesting caches/places and trackables. I also like to grab one virtual in new countries, if possible. I am making a list before I go to save time. 

I do like to see some rural/countryside/parks/quiet areas and non-touristy places when I travel, if anyone would have a suggestion that is safe and not too pricey to get to. 

Edited by BugLuv