down loading problems

Duke of Earle

34 minutes ago, Duke of Earle said:

I think I messed up my download GPX. I changed from Geocaching to google chrome and now nothing works. all  I get is a page of coding.

Anybody have had that problem. How do I get back to the standard default

Earle

A GPX file is a “page of code”. Save that GPX file by clicking File/Save in the open Notepad window and it's fine. Typically you then find it in the Downloads folder.

To save time, you can restore the original default of saving the file rather than opening it. If you go to Settings in the Chrome menu, you can “Clear Browser Data”, and if that's no good, you can “Restore settings to their original defaults”. That might do it is you had changed the settings to that the file opens rather than downloading to a folder.

I didn't test these, because I'm not sure exactly what your issue is.

I am not a premium member but in the past have been able to save .gpx files to a Mac and upload via GarminBaseCamp to my GPSmap64 and the data could be checked for the hint and previous logs. Somehow this detail has disappeared the .gpx file is less than 20KB, I think it used to be around 250KB. Please can anyone help?

On 1/13/2019 at 12:35 PM, gospi said:

I am not a premium member but in the past have been able to save .gpx files to a Mac and upload via GarminBaseCamp to my GPSmap64 and the data could be checked for the hint and previous logs. Somehow this detail has disappeared the .gpx file is less than 20KB, I think it used to be around 250KB. Please can anyone help?

What method are you using to download the .gpx files - directly from cache page, from map preview, somewhere else?   Some individual cache .gpx files can be small.  The size depends on the cache.

• Helpful 1

Thanks noncentric, I download directly from the cache page to my Mac, then import to Basecamp and then transfer to my Garmin gps 64. I am fairly sure on some occasions the data downloads as proper cache data along with past logs, clues etc.  but on others only seems to provide a data point with minimum details! Not sure if this is me, geocaching or Garmin software hitch. Although the geocaching web page says I can download directly to my gps this doesn’t work but I can live with that. 

4 hours ago, gospi said:

Thanks noncentric, I download directly from the cache page to my Mac, then import to Basecamp and then transfer to my Garmin gps 64. I am fairly sure on some occasions the data downloads as proper cache data along with past logs, clues etc.  but on others only seems to provide a data point with minimum details! Not sure if this is me, geocaching or Garmin software hitch. Although the geocaching web page says I can download directly to my gps this doesn’t work but I can live with that. 

If you are downloading by using the "Download GPX" option on the cache page, then it should be then entire file - with description, details, hints, and 5 past logs.

The cache pages used to restrict Basic Members to only downloading ".LOC" files, which only had minimum details, but that .LOC file option has been removed and Basic Members are now provided with full GPX files.

When you click on "Download GPX", then you should be able to save the resulting .gpx file directly to the Garmin/GPX folder of your 64 - even without going through Basecamp.

Edited by noncentric

Thanks again, I am making some progress but very slowly. I think it is something to do with my attempt at file structure in Garmin Base Camp and the way that data is imported. Simply double clicking the .gpx file brings the data into a Smart List so need to work on my understanding of Base Camp. Geocaching is so much fun, if at times frustrating, will eventually sign up to Premium membership.

February 2019 and still flummoxed!!! I am able to download a gpx file from the geocache page and when I examine this with TextEditor all the information is there along with past logs etc. but when I upload the file to BaseCamp there is only the basic info as per my inserted photo. Any help appreciated.1716875095_Screenshot2019-02-02at20_12_36.png.1b8c04835f75d8006202092c4e7020d8.png

On 2/2/2019 at 12:18 PM, gospi said:

February 2019 and still flummoxed!!! I am able to download a gpx file from the geocache page and when I examine this with TextEditor all the information is there along with past logs etc. but when I upload the file to BaseCamp there is only the basic info as per my inserted photo. Any help appreciated.

If you are trying to get the cache onto your Garmin 64, then you don't need to use Basecamp.  You can just drag-and-drop the .gpx file from whichever folder it was saved to, to the Garmin/GPX folder of your connected GPSr.

Regarding what you're seeing in BaseCamp. I can't help you with that.  I have a PC and when I look at caches in BaseCamp, then the window looks very different from the image you posted. Not sure if I'm just using a different version of BaseCamp (4.7) than you, or if it's just so different between PC and Mac.

Success!! OK so I am a bit stupid but interesting note for others - my Garmin default geocache search distance seems to be 100Km or 62.25 miles so if I try and do a spell search outside this area nothing shows but centre the map on an area and zoom in to 0.2miles and the caches are shown in the familiar 'green box' style. Hope this may help others but perhaps I'm just rather slow on the uptake.

On 2/5/2019 at 9:06 AM, gospi said:

Success!! OK so I am a bit stupid but interesting note for others - my Garmin default geocache search distance seems to be 100Km or 62.25 miles so if I try and do a spell search outside this area nothing shows but centre the map on an area and zoom in to 0.2miles and the caches are shown in the familiar 'green box' style. Hope this may help others but perhaps I'm just rather slow on the uptake.

If you want to have the cache icons (green boxes) show up when you are zoomed out further, then you can probably change that in the GPSr settings.  The way it works on a Garmin eTrex is:  Setup  -->  Map  -->  Advanced Map Setup  -->  Zoom Levels  -->  User Waypoints

I'm not sure if the 64 has the same menu system, but should be somewhat similar.  Personally, I have the zoom set to 5 miles, so I can see the cache icons without having to zoom in so closely.