Who is/was Jerry Connelly?

sparklehorse

While poking around the state cache map for Oregon recently I stumbled accross this cache and its nearby cousin. By the waypoint numbers and the URLs it looks like they're among the oldest caches ever placed. Oddly the profile link takes you to Jeremy Irish's profile, not Jerry Connelly. At the time I thought perhaps Jerry Connelly was just a nickname that Jeremy used early on, or another explanation might be that Jeremy adopted these caches at some point.

Then tonight I stumbled accross this cache. Now I'm really confused because clicking on Jerry Connelly's profile from that cache page takes you to a guy in Virginia who has only one find out of 200 that's anywhere west of the Mississippi!

So can anyone shed some light on this little mystery? Who was that masked man? To Jerry's credit all three of these pioneer caches appear to be in interesting places and have survived unscathed for nearly three years now. Just thought it was interesting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This message has been edited to fit your TV screen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

It also seems interesting enough to note that pkpaul, the guy from Virginia, didn't start caching until last spring, about 2 years after his cache was placed... We've wondered about the Connely Caches that show up along our way to Portland from Central Oregon... They seem worthy of a nice side track trip... Nice eye for detail Sparklehorse... Maybe Jeremy will shed some light for us.

Jeremy shows up as the owner of several early caches that were essentially abandoned. In the early days, there was not always a population of other geocachers around in a given area to immediately adopt an abandoned cache. Rather than archiving these otherwise fine caches and letting them rot as geolitter, he took ownership of them (under his admin account, not his personal account) until he could find someone to take them. I imagine that that's what happened with the GC16 6/4/2000 Jerry Connelly cache, although I couldn't tell you why it was adopted by someone in Virginia.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Hey guys, I just now found this thread.

I adopted the caches so that they would not be archived. They are an important part of the history of Geocaching and I want them to stay active. Each one had an adoption invitation posted on its page by Jeremy. I can not figure out why those went up for adoption while Jerry Connelly still has an active cache. This is not a invasive adoption where I change the name and everything, rather I want to preserve it. Some unscrupulous person could theoretically adopt a cache and trash the logs & photos. I wonder if Jeremy has a recovery plan if that happens. Can a archive cache ever get unarchived? I don't know. Better to be safe than sorry.

And what if someone replants a cache at one of Dave Ulmer's cache location, could/would Jeremy revive the cache? I guessing he would not if the original planter objected.

Certainly if Jerry or Moun10Bike or someone else in the area wanted it, and could properly take care of it, I would let it go.

Comments?

Here is a link for a list of the first 100 caches that I made.

The First 100 Geocaches

PKPaul - self appointed geocaching historian

quote:
Originally posted by pkpaul:

I adopted the caches so that they would not be archived. They are an important part of the history of Geocaching and I want them to stay active.

Hey Paul, that is very cool of you to do. I'm actually a bit embarrassed that someone from the east coast had to take the bull by the horns and save this cache instead of one of us local folk.

quote:
Certainly if Jerry or Moun10Bike or someone else in the area wanted it, and could properly take care of it, I would let it go.

I think you've earned the right to keep the cache active under your account as long as you choose or Jerry doesn’t object (see the july 20th log, that's kind of interesting). Since it looks like Jerry still stops by from time to time, I'm not sure if help with maintenance is needed but if it is, feel free to send me an emial.

Rainbows are pretty. I don't know why I shoot at them.

quote:
Originally posted by The Tungsten Jihad!:

quote:
Originally posted by pkpaul:

I adopted the caches so that they would not be archived. They are an important part of the history of Geocaching and I want them to stay active.

Hey Paul, that is very cool of you to do. I'm actually a bit embarrassed that someone from the east coast had to take the bull by the horns and save this cache instead of one of us local folk.

Actually I had emailed Jeremy that I was planning to adopt this cache as it's not too far from my parents house and I could get out there every once in a while to check on it. But I hadn't been out to find the cache and I wanted to wait to offically adopt it until I was sure I could find it. Before I had a chance to get out that way paul adopted it. Probably a good thing as I still haven't been out to look for this one, and after Paul adopted it, it fell to the bottom of my todo list.

----

Never let Common Sense Get in the Way of Determination.