Watch out Bend... Here comes Boise!

scoobydum

A bunch of Boise folks thought it would be fun to do a convoy/roadtrip and hit some caches in Bend one of these weekends. As of this post, I think we're up to 12-ish. Idahoflyer saw fit to make an event out of it, so the link to the cache page is ... GCDB10.

If you Bend locals (or anyone on the way) have any caches that you're particularly proud of, we'd like to hear about them. Feel free to post comments here, or visit and say 'hi'. icon_wink.gif

------------------------

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-- I went down into the canyon, bush-whacked through the branches and thorns, waded across the river, climbed the rock face, found the cache, and walked along the *%#@!! TRAIL back to my truck!

quote:
Originally posted by scoobydum:

A bunch of Boise folks thought it would be fun to do a convoy/roadtrip and hit some caches in Bend one of these weekends.

We're honored. I think you'll find many fun and challenging caches for all interests, from urban quickies to half-day hikes cross-country. The mountain caches are snowed in but that leaves enough down low to fill a month, much less a weekend. The problem is where to start and when to stop. For example, each of the following multi-stage caches is a great one to do by itself or can be done in conjunction with many others in the same area:

The Legend of Skull Hollow (Gray Butte/Smith Rocks north of Bend)

Walkabout (Badlands east of Bend)

Where's Red??????????? (night cache south of Bend)

Riverview II (Bend on Deschutes River)

You could spend all weekend roaming the Badlands, or you could concentrate on the forest and lava fields south of Bend, or ... let us know what you'd like to do and we can offer some suggestions.

On the way over west of Burns you might try;

RestArea

do Dry Lakes Make You Harney?

Millican Valley Cache

Prehistoric River Coin Exchange

When you get in Bend several easy caches

Antenna Forest

Third Butte

Tight Fit (close by is Ho Hum JUst another Cache...but it ain't easy)

My favorites so far or favorite areas

Walkabout..great tour of the Badlands allow 3 hours

Nature in Balance...you won't see anything quite like these.

Legend of Skull Hollow..I'm halfway throught this one but its been fun. allow 3 hours.

Tumalo State Park or the KOA north of town has camp sites available.

Howdy!

Thanks for the warm welcome, and thanks for the suggestions!

We'll almost definitely taking the Burns route, and we'll probably camp at Tumalo. Hopefully, it won't be the 'wee-hours' by the time we're pitchin tents (I won't be surprised if it is though).

A few of us would also like to squeeze in a trip to the Deschutes Brewery if we have time. It's not lookin' good for that though. A couple of us have our eyes on skull hollow and dry canyon, but may have to make another trip over (WILL make at least another tripicon_wink.gif) for the big multis. Not that we're going for quantity, mind you, but it would be nice to cover some ground and hit a variety of caches on this trip in the short amount of time we have.

Keep an eye open for a bunch of rigs with little 'Idaho Geocachers' stickers on them, and we'll be monitoring 2 & 12 on the FRS's if you wanna get in touch.

I'm not sure if we're cooking at camp or not, but if you would be so kind as to suggest a good place to get some grub and coffee sunday a.m., it may be a good time/place to make a rendezvous. Hmmmmmm... a Bend/Boise Breakfast Rendezvous... has a certain ring to it, huh? icon_wink.gif

------------------------

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-- I went down into the canyon, bush-whacked through the branches and thorns, waded across the river, climbed the rock face, found the cache, and walked along the *%#@!! TRAIL back to my truck!

Your trip would be incomplete if you didn't have breakfast at the D & D on Bond St. in Downtown. One of the better dive bars around. For something tamer you might try Pilot Butte Drive Inn, which is on Highway 20 (Greenwood) just West of Pilot Butte. Don't bother with either if cholesteral is a problem.

MMMMmmmmmmmm! Yummy... yeah, last time I stopped in at the PB drive-in, I think I had a message from the cholesterol police on my answering machine when I got home! Why does good food just gotta be so bad for you?!

Oh well... while we're on the food subject, every time I drive through Burns, I notice this little shack on the west end that has a sign out front 'Worst food in Oregon'.. is that place typical of the mom-n-pop joints that are nothing to look at, but serve some of the greatest food? I'd probably stop and eat, but I'm usually anxious to get away from Burns and to my destination by the time I'm in that neighborhood. icon_wink.gif

Thanks for the tips... the D&D sounds intriguing.. will have to keep that in mind.

scoobydoo.gif

------------------------

Well I have to be out of town that weekend so I guess we will miss you guys. HAve fun on your way here and back. You just might take the John Day way back if you want to take that route. Same milage but a littlelonger in time.

As for "The Worst Food In Oregon", that was in Hines but it closed down shortly after the mill closed. icon_frown.gif

logscaler.

quote:
Originally posted by sskamp:

Your trip would be incomplete if you didn't have breakfast at the D & D on Bond St. in Downtown. One of the better dive bars around. For something tamer you might try Pilot Butte Drive Inn, which is on Highway 20 (Greenwood) just West of Pilot Butte. Don't bother with either if cholesteral is a problem.

The D&D is also known for its health violations, among other things. The latest is a hepatitis A alert for anyone who ate there between 2/26 and 3/15. So, if someone comments that you are looking a little yellow... icon_confused.gif

Remember that horrible commercial for the D&D from a few years ago, with the sly looking magician dude dealing out playing cards? Ugh.

Local commercials are horrible. The current Hooker Creek one, where they added the lettering to the sign digitally and have the dude's voice echo and boom makes me want to destroy my television.

That horrible ad for the jewelers at Bend River Mall, with the non-stop static transitions also sucks very badly.

And Kristi Miller's promo spots! Ugh! We *know* you're on television. We don't *need* to see the camera. Is this supposed to be visually appealing, to see the camera that she's speaking to and then fade to that camera?

And good ol' Andy Andrews. Canals : Are they just for water any more? Cattle Ranchers : What are they REALLY up to? Prineville : Why so many tires?

Anyway. icon_smile.gif