Copy Tag

paticpatic

I sent out 147 travel bugs over the past few years.  I enjoy the locations around the world that they travel too, even though some get lost or taken.  Is it acceptable to attach a new item to the Copy Tag and send it out when I know the original travel bug is gone for good?  I guess there could be a small chance the original is found so then I have 2 different travel bugs with the same travel tag number.  Has anyone sent out a second travel bug using the Copy Tag?

22 minutes ago, paticpatic said:

I sent out 147 travel bugs over the past few years.  I enjoy the locations around the world that they travel too, even though some get lost or taken.  Is it acceptable to attach a new item to the Copy Tag and send it out when I know the original travel bug is gone for good?  I guess there could be a small chance the original is found so then I have 2 different travel bugs with the same travel tag number.  Has anyone sent out a second travel bug using the Copy Tag?

Has anyone?   Yes,  it is done quite frequently. 

Is it a good idea?  Maybe.   I haven't bought a TB for quite some time so I don't know what the latest ones look like,  but there are some Copy Tags  that read "KEEP ME.  I AM A COPY TAG"  I wouldn't use one of those. You can also make your own tags using the original tracking number.  I do this all the time.  I wait until the TB has been missing for a year and a half. 

• Upvote 1
58 minutes ago, paticpatic said:

Has anyone sent out a second travel bug using the Copy Tag?

We were thinking about it once, but like NanCycle, the copy tags we had said "Keep Me" on them.  They still do today.

Figured we'd be back to square one ... and we asked for it by using that tag. 

- After all, people weren't listening to "Do not keep me"... 

I remember at one time the site really frowned on two or more trackables floating around with the same code, and would lock it if it became a problem.

There's been confusion before with others, and could see someone starting a thread here on "Fakers logging trackable I have in my possession".  ;)

1 hour ago, paticpatic said:

Is it acceptable to attach a new item to the Copy Tag and send it out when I know the original travel bug is gone for good? 

Curious, other than a log that says "I stole your hello kitty trackable.  Don't like it ? Tough." , how would you know ?

Just a short while ago, HQ received a couple boxes of trackables from another hoarder.  A bunch missing for some time.

- Just a couple years ago the same thing happened with another.  Many folks thought they were gone for good.  :)

7 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Curious, other than a log that says "I stole your hello kitty trackable.  Don't like it ? Tough." , how would you know ?

I have had messages from cache owners were flooding etc has removed the cache and therefore the trackable is lost, I know that it’s still out in the world somewhere but it’s probably under two foot of mud. 

I have sent out copy tags when a trackable is gone, I usually wait a few years and then I add a note on the trackable page saying that a replacement is wandering around. So far an original has never reappeared.

I have several travel bugs that I believe are gone for good:  CO said cache was muggled, CO said cache was washed away in a flood, and stories like that.  MY Copy Tag does say You Can Keep Me, but I will scratch that off the Tag and send it out and see what happens?  Thanks for the replies :)

22 hours ago, paticpatic said:

MY Copy Tag does say You Can Keep Me, but I will scratch that off the Tag and send it out and see what happens?  

Or keep the Copy Tag for your "records", and use the TB number on something else - the number is all that's needed for logging and you can use it on anything to make a trackable.  Etch or stamp the # on a metal plate; use a 3D printer to make something with the # on it, get creative with it!