BirdsEye Map Distortion on the eTrex20x

35 minutes ago, cast_and_cache said:

I recently downloaded the BirdsEye map on BaseCamp and transferred it to my 20x. However, when I zoom in on my device the map becomes so distorted that it is impossible to see anything. I am  new to the hand held devices and don't know if it is a flaw in the map, or something I am doing wrong.

Sounds like you downloaded the lowest possible detail level of map. There are three options, I always use the most detailed.

22 hours ago, cast_and_cache said:

I recently downloaded the BirdsEye map on BaseCamp and transferred it to my 20x. However, when I zoom in on my device the map becomes so distorted that it is impossible to see anything. I am  new to the hand held devices and don't know if it is a flaw in the map, or something I am doing wrong.

22 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

Sounds like you downloaded the lowest possible detail level of map. There are three options, I always use the most detailed.

I went back and removed my download from the device and retried it with the same results. I made sure that I was using the highest detail possible so I guess I just won't be able to zoom in all the way. It looks fine on BaseCamp.

I know it is a little work, but if you might post screenshots of the same location shown in BaseCamp and on your eTrex 20x, we may be able to help more. I do not have that model, but I have many Garmin GPSr, and BirdsEye always looks the same on them as in BaseCamp for me....

One must keep in mind that BaseCamp  is 'OverZoomed' at the 80 ft and 120 ft scales. The 200 ft scale is the maximum zoom without 'OverZoom' distortion.

Here are a couple quick examples with my GPSMAP 66:

Here BaseCamp is OverZoomed to 80 ft and the GPSr is zoomed fully to 20 ft.:

BC 2 80ft vs GPSMAP 66 20ft v2.png

Here both are zoomed two steps back at 200 ft and  80 ft, respectively:

BC 2 200ft vs GPSMAP 66 80ft v2.png

Edited by Atlas Cached