What are tools?

treasuresnatchers

There are many tools that may be required for a cache.  A ladder, a boat, a pair of tweezers, a UV light, and the list goes on. Basically, a tool is anything extra one may need to put their hands on the log inside the cache container.  Look for clues or hints in the prior logs and maybe you can determine the needed tool.

Good luck.

• Upvote 1

"Tool" could depend on cache type, location, and access.

A tape measure might be needed for an earthcache, or a pair of tweezers to pull a tiny log (or container itself) out, when fingers just won't do.

We prefer 5T rope-use hides that may be just as easily accessed with a ladder.   :)

Attributes may help.  A "climbing gear required", or "boat required" kinda obvious.  The D/T of the cache fits here too.

As K13 says, the CO could leave a clue in the description or hint, but often find another's log might give us a better idea what's needed.

There are other threads in the forums where people discuss the TOTT (Tools Of The Trade) that they use for geocaching.

Mechanics' tools (e.g., mirrors, magnetic grabbers, and mechanical grabbers, all on telescoping handles) can be very useful. I've also used a telescoping fruit picker to retrieve elevated caches. And I've used a magnetic compass, a magnet on a fishing line, a UV light, a bright flashlight, boats, and other tools as well.

A container that can be filled with water is occasionally needed (twice in '18 for me)

Sometimes more than one tool is needed for the same cache. I had to use a nail file and a pocket knife simultaneously to extract a cache container from its hiding place last week.

The write-up, the attributes and prior logs should be scrutinized thoroughly BEFORE setting out on the hunt.

If you are trying for an FTF in a "tool" required situation take everything you can think of if the needed item is not apparent from the cache page.