Recent geocaches near you

ecanderson

The weekly newsletter has for some time had a link to the recent published caches within a radius of home.  Previously, that was a much more useful  list with a selection button by each cache, and each cache could be opened in a separate browser tab without disturbing the position within the list, and served my purposes VERY well,  Now, the new version of this link creates a 'new' map (not needed) and selecting any of the items to view removes the balance of the list, requiring a back button to return to the list.

Guys, it was just fine the way it was.  How can I get that list view back again?

Edited by ecanderson
typos

Never mind.  I see that the entire search page has been thrashed around.  The wrong search parameters appear to be sent, and filtering appears to be a bust as well.

Searching from https://www.geocaching.com/play/search

and specifying the cache GC7XNMF + 10 mile radius

produces a url of https://www.geocaching.com/play/map?zoom=16&asc=true&sort=distance&st=GC7XNMF

which isn't going to produce a radius search to begin with.

a) this doesn't produce a 10 mile radius -- it delivers a map of more on the order of 2 miles east, tops, lesser in other directions

b) this doesn't produce a list, just the cache specified with GC code in the original 10 mile search

c) since only a single cache occurs in the list, the filter option not in evidence, as one might expect

Running Firefox 52.9.0 on this particular box.

Further -- I discovered I'd been thrown (somehow) in to the 'new map', and did not realize the number of things that this would change other than the maps themselves.  I was successful in opting OUT once I found that link/option in the "Learn more" area.  Guys, this 'new maps' thing is going to break a LOT of use models apart from map displays.

As far as I can tell, bugs remain.

10 mile radius search from /play/search brings up individual caches instead of a list.

Finally got some filters by using the original link for recently placed caches.  Was able to select things to filter, but there was no activity automatically caused by those selections, and nothing like an "Apply filter" that I could see.  Using the magnifying glass just brought back the original search.

Edited by ecanderson
  • Upvote 1