Caching at night reveals extra bonus!

Maps-R-Us

While coming home from our 200th find (read the interesting logs at this site) in the gorge last night, we pulled off I-84 to watch the Space Station w/ shuttle attached pass by overhead! Very cool icon_cool.gif and this is the week to look. If you want to know the best times and where in the sky to look, go to Shuttle Sightings. It is like a super bright falling star but definitely large and normally not very visible in Portland due to clouds!

quote:
Originally posted by Maps-R-Us:

we pulled off I-84 to watch the Space Station w/ shuttle attached pass by overhead! Very cool

I used this website Maps provieded to find the SpaceShuttle/ISS. I went to the location that "Tree Hugger" was near. I watched the shuttle/ISS pass overhead. I thought to myself, there are people up there racing accross the sky. Technology is so FRIKKEN cool!!!

"I put instant soup in a microwave and almost went back in time." -Stephen Wright

quote:
Originally posted by soup:

... I went to the location that "Tree Hugger" was near...

Be sure to go back there next week (hopefully) so you can find Tree Hugger II icon_wink.gif

Hopefully it's been gone long enough for those pesky kids to forget about it. Also.. It's gunna have a lock!

I asked Kyle S. what the THPRD would think about this type of cache, and it got approval... as long as no one hurts themselves icon_wink.gif

Anyone else wanna meet near Tree Hugger tonight to catch the shuttle/ISS?

quote:
Sightings for shuttle/ISS tonight:

Date: Tue Oct 15

Time: 07:33 PM

Duration: 3 min.

Max Elev: 50°

Approach: 49° above SW

Departure: 14° above SE

I'll try to be there around 7:15-ish... If I get myself in gear, I might actually place the new cache tonight.. But I kinda doubt it icon_wink.gif heh

-fractal

quote:
Originally posted by Maps-R-Us:

... So did you re-launch Tree Hugger II (no pun intended!)

Thanks again for that link in your first message. I can't believe I've never seen the ISS or shuttle before. It was way cool!

As for TH2.. I didn't place it tonight, but I just typed out a huge thing about it. Instead of clogging up this thread, I'm going to start a new one and get some opinions...

-fractal

I went over to the nearby high school where I had a nice wide view of the sky and fewer lights to obscure the view. Got to watch the pair zoom (they were cruisin!) across the sky for almost the entire 3 minutes. So cool I'm probably going to go watch it again tonight ~ 8:30 ish.

If anyone is interested, the school I'm talking about is the one near my Bastion cache. I'll be on the East side of the upper soccer field (between the 2 upper baseball diamonds).

-

And won't be able to make it out w/ Makaio tonight, but we're open tomorrow (Thursday) night. It looks like it'll be visible for longer tomorrow than it will be tonight. Does anyone want to plan an impromptu gathering for tomorrow? Everyone says it's really bright, but is it still best to be away from the city lights to get a good view?

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again..." Mt. 13:44

quote:
Originally posted by Team JOYSON:

Everyone says it's really bright, but is it still best to be away from the city lights to get a good view?

From what i hear, the best place to view it is at Bald Peak State Park. You can really see the flashing blue lights there. icon_wink.gif

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

Granted, less ground light equals better view of the heavens, but at 7:30last night I had no problems seeing the shuttle/satellite whatsoever. It is *very* bright and hauling arse and very easy to see even with the surrounding neighborhood lights.

I'll go back over Thursday evening if anyone else wants to show up. It's only a 5 min walk for me icon_smile.gif

-

J-PASS gives you sky maps and lets you sign up for e-mail notification of viewing oportunities with all kinds of great info. We have a great pass coming up in Seattle in 20 minutes - 60 degrees over the horizon, Sunlit all 10:45 for the pass - hope it's dark enough!

[This message was edited by Uplink on October 17, 2002 at 09:22 AM.]

Here's the PDX sched if anyones interested. I'll be taking a walk to the school about 8:00.

LOCAL DURATION MAX ELEV APPROACH DEPARTURE

DATE/TIME (MIN) (DEG) (DEG-DIR) (DEG-DIR)

Mon Oct 14/08:30 PM < 1 26 26 above SW 26 above W

Tue Oct 15/07:33 PM 3 50 49 above SW 14 above SE

Wed Oct 16/08:13 PM < 1 13 13 above SSW 10 above SSW

Thr Oct 17/07:12 PM 2 23 23 above S 10 above SSE

-

My kids thought I was crazy when I said I saw the shuttle detached from the ISS. I finally taught them the practice of averting their gaze and they saw it too. I am also blessed with a home out in the boon-sticks with not much light pollution "yet".

I hope to make it to join Makaio and anyone else at the school tonight. Maybe Makaio can give me a hint on the new Bastion location.

KTF !!! GBWY !!!

to this alleged school for those of us who have no sence of direction around Beaverton/Hillsborro/Aloha? Or is right next to the Bastian cache? What's the name of the school? We'll try to be there about 20 mins early tonight to make sure we meet up w/ everyone.

The Bastion cache is right behind the school (Century High). For those who've already hunted Bastion, if you followed the paths to the cache, you walked beside the schools rear fence on your way. Park in the rear parking lot and walk SE out into the soccer fields. I'll be waving my flashlight around if it's dark enough.

Trafcon - I hope you're not coming all the way over to Hillsboro just for a < 2 minute satellite appearance. Maybe if you're lucky fractal will have a few marbles handy icon_wink.gif I'll show you where you can gain access to the cache area from the school grounds. From there you're on your own icon_smile.gif

-

Glad we started a new reason for get-togethers but we won't make it out tonight. Just home from work and too far a drive for such a short flight! But we do want to see some of those marbles, soon!

Maybe we should've placed a virtual cache on the ISS and have folks log it if they see it pass overhead! You could even place the golden spike on board. icon_cool.gif

Sorry I didn't catch up with you folks tonight... I was around the school for a while, but there was all sorts of stuff going on (band,sports) and I didn't want to look like some weirdo just walking through... heh

I did see either the shuttle or iss go over.. Didn't see both though...

-fractal

My daughter and I met up with Team Joyson and their cool beagle puppy out in the field. We enjoyed some nice conversation while we waited. We saw the same thing - just one object pass overhead. We stood around looking skyward for another 15 minutes or so, but never did see anything else of interest.

fractal - the school is always teeming with activity - school sanctioned and otherwise. There are always folks running the track, walking dogs, playing with their kids, etc. so nobody would've paid any attention to you had you walked to where we were.

We did see a firetruck, ambulance and a few of Hillsboro's finest pull in with lights flashing. Don't know what was up but they didn't seem to be in any rush. Likely some kid yanked the fire alarm.

-

I don't think you would have looked any different than the rest of the wierdos running around. We really enjoyed hanging out with Makaio while our dog practiced her wrestling moves on his daughter. I've never heard anyone giggle so much while they were getting pinned to the ground icon_smile.gif. Only saw one blip across the sky. I may not be able to spot a space station, but I think I pointed out just about every airplane that went overhead "is that it? No... Is that it? no... Is that it? ...". Thanks for the great spot to watch from. We promise to come back again soon and hunt your Bastian cache... I'm going to try to refrain from cacheaholics for as long as possible (afterall, it would only be proving my wife right). As for Hillsboro's finest, we had the luck (add sarcasm there) of pulling out right behind the ambulance. It looked like they had some girl in the back with a breathing mask on. Probably an asthma attack, or got hit in the head with a ball or something. Great idea with the flashlight Makaio, it helped us find you a lot quicker than we otherwise would have... your daughter sure seemed to get enjoyment out of blinding people with it too. icon_wink.gif ANYWAYS! We had a great time, however brief the actual show was, we're glad we went. Hope to see you again soon.