Tiny Library

AdaWolf

I  am going to send a travel bug out into the world, but have a few questions.

1. Does the travel bug have to be placed in a cache? The item, a journal, may be too large for most caches, save for ammo cans etc. It's great if people place it in a cache that is large enough, but can you place the travel bug in unregistered locations, for example, a tiny library?   2. I don't want glue/tape the tag to the journal, can I just write the ID in the instructions in the journal?

If you want it to be tracked, you will have to put it in a cache as the only way you can track it is by seeing which cache has been visited. But it could still visit any cache.

You can write the tracking id on any part of the object. But make sure people notice it or they could mistake it for swag.

On 12/31/2018 at 3:50 PM, AdaWolf said:

can you place the travel bug in unregistered locations, for example, a tiny library?

You can, if you want it to get lost.  Even placing it in a geocache is a risk, but at least for a geocache one can assume that most visitors are geocachers.  Most visitors to a little free library are likely not geocachers and may not realize that anything special needs to be done with a travel bug - they may just see a tchotchke for the taking and keep it.

There are larger caches out there that can accommodate large TBs, or as NanCycle suggested, cachers can exchange it at events (or just pass it along from person to person).

How big are we talking?