Why would I stop getting email notifications on my trackable?

gginnj

I have a trackable that a cacher has over the last 2 months visited almost 90 caches - as shown in the trackable's activity log.

However, the last email notification I have received was when that cacher retrieved it from me (at an event).

I've checked just about everywhere on the trackable's page, my settings and such, and didn't see any boxes that

would disable any future notifications.

Did I miss something?

Thanks

GG

15 minutes ago, gginnj said:

I have a trackable that a cacher has over the last 2 months visited almost 90 caches - as shown in the trackable's activity log.

However, the last email notification I have received was when that cacher retrieved it from me (at an event).

I've checked just about everywhere on the trackable's page, my settings and such, and didn't see any boxes that

would disable any future notifications.

Did I miss something?

Thanks

GG

I don't think TBO get notifications for visit logs. I don't get them on mine. 

32 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I don't think TBO get notifications for visit logs. I don't get them on mine. 

You might be right. Come to think of it, my others have mostly been drops,retrieves and discovers. It's just I never really thought about it until now given the cacher hadn't dropped it since but did a crap load of visits - which I'm ok with - she is a friend of mine so I know it's in good hands.

That would explain it though. 

Thanks

43 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

You don't get notifications for "visit" (took it to...) logs on trackables.

Probably a good thing.  I don't believe many folks would like receiving dozens of emails daily.  :)

I was actually thinking that today - over the last few days I've visited quite a few caches with a few trackables, and was

thinking, at least they would be glad to know the trackables were still in play - lots of play. But seems they won't know

at all now.

4 minutes ago, gginnj said:

I was actually thinking that today - over the last few days I've visited quite a few caches with a few trackables, and was

thinking, at least they would be glad to know the trackables were still in play - lots of play. But seems they won't know

at all now.

Of course they would. 

Many go to the page just in case pics are left to view (we add them after logging caches), or when log maintenance is needed.  

Someone wants to keep track of their trackable, they'll hit the page.   :)

The alternative is your email swamped with just another's daily caching history ... 

Without pics, no one can be sure a trackable's still in play by a "visit" log.  It just means it's still listed in your inventory.

When someone grabs it from them, or they finally drop it in a cache and another retrieves it, then you'd know. 

On 12/31/2018 at 5:57 PM, cerberus1 said:

Of course they would. 

Many go to the page just in case pics are left to view (we add them after logging caches), or when log maintenance is needed.  

Someone wants to keep track of their trackable, they'll hit the page.   :)

The alternative is your email swamped with just another's daily caching history ... 

Without pics, no one can be sure a trackable's still in play by a "visit" log.  It just means it's still listed in your inventory.

When someone grabs it from them, or they finally drop it in a cache and another retrieves it, then you'd know. 

The problem is, that when you do check the TBs page, you need to wade through dozens, or hundreds of visit logs to find out where your TB has been..... It would be nice to put a limit on the no of visit logs per day - one will do thanks!

3 hours ago, lee737 said:

The problem is, that when you do check the TBs page, you need to wade through dozens, or hundreds of visit logs to find out where your TB has been..... It would be nice to put a limit on the no of visit logs per day - one will do thanks!

But then they will miss out on photographs. I take photographs, if the places are interesting, and if really interesting or pretty, maybe photographs for every cache visited and maybe more than one photograph per cache. (I have had several emails from owners thanking me for doing this and telling me how much they are enjoying the photographs. So people appear to like me adding all these photographs.) I tend not usually to take photographs when doing power trails. In fact for very long power trails, I might not 'visit;' the TB to them all; just the occasional one; otherwise it gets tedious.

5 hours ago, lee737 said:

I'd be in favor of a limit,  but not  just one per day. When on a road trip, I like to visit trackables to one cache per state.   Maybe rather than a strict limit,  a confirmation like "You have already visited this trackable to a cache today.   Do you really want to visit it to this cache? "  Making the logger take this extra step would cut down on the number of visit logs. Also,  any restrictions should apply only to trackables that are not one's own.

• Upvote 1
37 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

I'd be in favor of a limit,  but not  just one per day. When on a road trip, I like to visit trackables to one cache per state.   Maybe rather than a strict limit,  a confirmation like "You have already visited this trackable to a cache today.   Do you really want to visit it to this cache? "  Making the logger take this extra step would cut down on the number of visit logs. Also,  any restrictions should apply only to trackables that are not one's own.

People already don't have to visit a TB to every cache. I don't for long power trails. But sometimes I want to add photographs to every visit and needing to go through another stage would be a pest. If this really worries a TB owner they can put it on their page...and then if I pick up that TB and read it, I will dump their TB in the next cache that I can and they can miss out on all the photographs. Someone did request this once; they sent me an email after I had only visited the TB to a whole two caches ?. asking when I was going to release their TB. I also think I had only had this TB for a few days; maybe four from memory. I showed them some photographs they wouldn't get if I didn't visit their TB to caches, and suddenly that was okay; they liked the photographs, but their rude email had annoyed me, so I dumped the TB in the next cache that it fitted in and they didn't get photographs of their TBs travels.

If this idea were implemented, I might stop picking up trackables. And their are too many people at present who don't pick up trackables and leave them to linger in caches.

Edited by Goldenwattle
1 hour ago, Goldenwattle said:

People already don't have to visit a TB to every cache. I don't for long power trails. But sometimes I want to add photographs to every visit and needing to go through another stage would be a pest. If this really worries a TB owner they can put it on their page...and then if I pick up that TB and read it, I will dump their TB in the next cache that I can and they can miss out on all the photographs. Someone did request this once; they sent me an email after I had only visited the TB to a whole two caches ?. asking when I was going to release their TB. I also think I had only had this TB for a few days; maybe four from memory. I showed them some photographs they wouldn't get if I didn't visit their TB to caches, and suddenly that was okay; they liked the photographs, but their rude email had annoyed me, so I dumped the TB in the next cache that it fitted in and they didn't get photographs of their TBs travels.

If this idea were implemented, I might stop picking up trackables. And their are too many people at present who don't pick up trackables and leave them to linger in caches.

I know they don't have to, but they do and it's easier to visit all trackable to every cache than to pick and choose.  Going through another stage being a pest is the whole point of the suggestion, but don't worry--it won't be implemented.

1 minute ago, lee737 said:

I wasn't thinking about nags for the trackable holder, just silently don't accept more than x no per day. Even better would be if GS allowed us to view our TBs history whilst hiding the visits....

I'd sorta agree, but the site says that "Visit" was created at the request of many trackable owners.

Supposedly there were many who Dropped and Retrieved to every cache, and they asked for an "easier way" to do it.  

We asked around, and found no one who knows anyone who contacted the site about it.  Maybe a west-coast thing...

The only ones earlier we know of who logged every cache was parents to mark every cache found with their kids.

-  If the kid wants their own account later , they can back-date all on that trackable.      :)

Though, to be clear,  they did that with their own trackables, and not holding onto another's property for months on end...

1 hour ago, lee737 said:

I wasn't thinking about nags for the trackable holder, just silently don't accept more than x no per day. Even better would be if GS allowed us to view our TBs history whilst hiding the visits....

Again, it should only apply to other people's trackables.  I don't want limits on how many caches per day I can visit with my own personal tracker.

8 hours ago, NanCycle said:

it's easier to visit all trackable to every cache than to pick and choose

Yes it is, that's why I just go select all at the bottom of the page, or I don't, rather then go through the list and click individually on TBs. But it's actually easier not to log TBs as visiting a cache, because for that nothing need be clicked. To log a TB into a cache I actually need to click a button on the computer. The rare time I have logged a cache on the phone, the TB's were not logged as visiting. In fact, I didn't know how to do this, which is the main reason I don't log on the phone. It's too clunky and not as user friendly as the computer. Besides, I can't photoshop my photographs first to get them looking as I want, before uploading them.

6 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

To log a TB into a cache I actually need to click a button on the computer.

Well, for the majority of all "visit" and "discover" logs (my gut feeling says 80-90%) there was no human clicking intentional a button per log. Instead those logs come from automatic scripts (GSAK, etc.) in the background.

No sane person would produce such trail of visit logs if they would be required to press an additional button for each log.

Edited by Hynz
1 minute ago, Hynz said:

GSAK

I doubt many people use GSAK. A few yes; maybe those who are keen enough to come to this forum, but the average geocacher (who would not even know about this forum), no. I would guess they use an app on their phone, and the app on my phone does not visit TBs automatically to caches. Hence I log on the computer, because I want them to visit caches, especially if I have photographs to add.

5 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

I doubt many people use GSAK.

I've no idea how many GSAK users there are globally (and there are no doubt a lot more since it became free ) but I can see there are 62353 registered members of the GSAK forum, which will probably be (like the users of the forum here) a tiny percentage of the actual users.

I doubt many people use GSAK. A few yes; maybe those who are keen enough to come to this forum, but the average geocacher (who would not even know about this forum), no. I would guess they use an app on their phone, and the app on my phone does not visit TBs automatically to caches. Hence I log on the computer, because I want them to visit caches, especially if I have photographs to add.

I tried a practice run on a log just now, on a web site cache log, and it took me an extra 3 seconds to "Visit All" TBs in my Inventory.  People who do that all the time could pare that time down, and do it almost by habit, and they type no story, and they post no photo on individual TBs. They carry 500 pounds of TBs in a pocket wherever they go and empty-log them all on every Find.  Why they do the robotic Visits and never seem to place my TB, is the subject of whole other threads where I get to peer deeply into taker's terrifying undiagnosed and untreated mental disorders.  I don't like to do that. :o

I tend to be glad that I don't need to be notified upon what is basically someone else finding caches, all the "Visit logs".  But sometimes (roughly .0001% of the time B)), my TB gets "visited" all around the world with no email to me.  I even checked it for a while and the taker was doing nothing, so I got bored and stopped checking.  And now it's going everywhere!  I may not even see that until it's eventually dropped.  The taker is probably wondering what's wrong with me... why I'm not acknowledging all this mileage.  Short answer:  I didn't even see it happening.

Edited by kunarion
6 minutes ago, kunarion said:

I even checked it for a while and the taker was doing nothing, so I got bored and stopped checking.  And now it's going everywhere!  I may not even see that until it's eventually dropped.  The taker is probably wondering what's wrong with me... why I'm not acknowledging all this mileage.  Short answer:  I didn't even see it happening.

This made me go check on the progress of my trackables. Nothing new has happened since last visit. But worth a check. If someone was adding nice photographs I should thank them, but only one new photograph, when one trackable was dropped off at a new cache in Japan. I only have eight TBs. One in my possession, two missing, two maybe missing, and only three still travelling, one in Australia, one in Germany and one in Japan (I thought this one might be missing, but it sprang back to life).

I usually plan a day of caching in a set area. If I have TBs with me I will log a visit to the cache furthest from home rather than every cache I go to. If its at an interesting spot I may take photographs but I have a bad habit of sometimes forgetting.

I tend to hold TBs for months, dependent on its goal/s. This is because I cache regularly locally and interstate and internationally several times a year. This puts mileage on the TB rather than it languishing in a cache for weeks and often, months. I also limit the number I carry to less than ten.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, colleda said:

I tend to hold TBs for months, dependent on its goal/s. This is because I cache regularly locally and interstate and internationally several times a year. This puts mileage on the TB rather than it languishing in a cache for weeks and often, months.

I have also done that, especially if I can complete the TB's goal in a few months time. My most recent success there, which involved holding onto a TB for many months, which had a goal of visiting the Antarctic, was that I managed to get it a trip to the Antarctic (although not by me :(). Initially I hung onto it because I was planning to visit Tasmania, and I thought that would not be a bad place to drop it off. Meanwhile, the TB visited the centre of Australia and many other places, including three overseas countries, and got a lot of photographs. Then when I was in Tasmania with the TB I found out I could get the TB to someone else who was visiting the Antarctic, so the TB went home with me rather than be dropped off in Tasmania, my initial plan. Then I handed it over and it went to Antarctica, got lots of photographs and visited a cache, so it could be logged there. It came back and was dropped off back in Australia.

If I had followed some people's suggestions of never hanging onto a tractable for long and dropped it off, chances are it would still be in the same area, maybe languishing in a cache. Instead, it visited, as well as the ACT and NSW, it visited, Victoria, SA, NT and Tasmania in Australia, and New Caledonia, Vanuatu, Fiji and Antarctica. Which is better, travelling, or being dropped off soon after finding into another cache, where chances are it could still be in the general area?

Another, I picked up in the UK; it's stated goal to come to Australia, so I held off dropping it off and brought it back to Australia, where I was able to make an extra journey and take it to the exact part of Australia it wanted to go to.

Another TB, which wanted to visit every state of Australia. I found picking that up amazing, because I was setting off to visit every state and territory of Australia to fulfil a challenge cache, so it travelled with me for months and we both fulfilled our challenges. With lots of photographs of course, and a photograph of the TB at each border crossing. Then I dropped the TB off in the exact hotel cache its owner wanted me too; a lovely hotel cache with individual rooms on the owner's front porch. Rather than be annoyed with me for holding onto their cache for months, they came outside when I rang the doorbell, and when I told them who I was and that Ernie (the TB) was now snug in their TB hotel, I was excitedly hugged, invited in for afternoon tea, then taken on a caching trip to find some of the CO's caches and told I shouldn't have been staying in a motel, but I should have stayed with them. Not everyone gets upset with someone holding onto their TB for months. Ernie wrote home regularly :D. "Dear Grannie...(letter).....Earnestly Ernie."

An example of some of the photographs I add to TBs logs when travelling. https://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=5339812&page=596

I would hate to have a limit on number of TB logs a day. How boring!

12 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Another TB, which wanted to visit every state of Australia. I found picking that up amazing, because I was setting off to visit every state and territory of Australia to fulfil a challenge cache, so it travelled with me for months and we both fulfilled our challenges. With lots of photographs of course, and a photograph of the TB at each border crossing. Then I dropped the TB off in the exact hotel cache its owner wanted me too; a lovely hotel cache with individual rooms on the owner's front porch. Rather than be annoyed with me for holding onto their cache for months, they came outside when I rang the doorbell, and when I told them who I was and that Ernie (the TB) was now snug in their TB hotel, I was excitedly hugged, invited in for afternoon tea, then taken on a caching trip to find some of the CO's caches and told I shouldn't have been staying in a motel, but I should have stayed with them. Not everyone gets upset with someone holding onto their TB for months. Ernie wrote home regularly :D.

This is an aweome story!  And exactly what I would like to happen to some of my TB's placed in the wild - I enjoy getting photos of my Wine Corks as they travel about the world!

I try to take photos of the caches I visit with the bugs I am carrying (I don't always remember but I try to get photos in when I can).  I don't visit them to every cache, but I do try to get them mileage when I travel.

Travel bugs are a fun side game - I do my best to play by the rules, respect missions, add photos when I can, move them along in a timely fashion, and realize that I have no control over the ones I own that I have released.  Some are moving, some seem to have disappeared, some are languishing in a cache somewhere.  The same is true of some I have moved along (and still watch to see where they go after they leave my hands) - I can't control them all!  But it is fun to watch them all travel.

Edited by CAVinoGal
Spelling corrections
  • Upvote 1

Another TB, which wanted to visit every state of Australia. I found picking that up amazing, because I was setting off to visit every state and territory of Australia to fulfil a challenge cache, so it travelled with me for months and we both fulfilled our challenges.

FWIW, to me this is the opposite of what I consider the true fun when following the travel of my TB or when looking up the history of a TB which I found.

When the goal is "visit every state" to me it's so obvious that this should *not* happen with the help of a single person carrying the TB from state to state but to find out if and how the community deals with this goal.

I have no problem when a carrier of my TB takes a couple of weeks before finding a suitable (and goal fitting) cache and as much as I like it when finder posting pictures of my TB (I'm doing this for every TB I find and drop) your example does not convince me to change my view especially since your pictures seems to be generic pictures (could also be from the gallery of the cache) without connection to the TB.

1 hour ago, Hynz said:

FWIW, to me this is the opposite of what I consider the true fun when following the travel of my TB or when looking up the history of a TB which I found.

When the goal is "visit every state" to me it's so obvious that this should *not* happen with the help of a single person carrying the TB from state to state but to find out if and how the community deals with this goal.

I have no problem when a carrier of my TB takes a couple of weeks before finding a suitable (and goal fitting) cache and as much as I like it when finder posting pictures of my TB (I'm doing this for every TB I find and drop) your example does not convince me to change my view especially since your pictures seems to be generic pictures (could also be from the gallery of the cache) without connection to the TB.

Fun, being able to take a TB to its destination IS FUN. The TB that wanted to visit every state, had photographs posing at every state border and extra photographs of it besides that. It also had generic photographs to show where it travelled to. Most certainly they were my photographs, and it's insulting to suggest otherwise. I would not take someone's copyright. (The example I showed above is of my own TB, one I never release, and it's already had enough photographs of it taken. Doesn't need many more.) I also wrote home letters from Ernie (the TB). The owner was thrilled, and sent messages to me saying so. In fact, as stated above, I was hugged, given afternoon tea, taking on a caching tour around her town, and told I should be staying with them, so fortunately not everyone feels as you do. Lovely lady. It took a bit of searching, but here are some of the photographs I took of that TB as it crossed the state and territory borders. https://www.geocaching.com/track/gallery.aspx?ID=5302831  So, there were photographs of the TB and not just photographs to show the countryside and urban areas it visited. They were not 'generic' photographs, as they were where it visited, not any old photograph that could have been anywhere, but real photographs of where I took the TB too. This is the sort of thing I take for my own holidays. Who wants just pictures of me. In fact I often travel weeks without a photograph of me. I treat the TBs photographs as I treat my own. But okay, you prefer the tiny, often out of focus photographs that many take of TBs, and the good chance the TB would be lost before it completed its challenge. Fine, if I ever pick up one of your TBs send me a message and I will drop it off in the next cache I visit it will fit in.

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Helpful 1
8 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

Most certainly they were my photographs, and it's insulting to suggest otherwise. I would not take someone's copyright.

Sorry, I was not questioning if the photographs were made by you. What I wanted to say is that from the point of view of the TB owner he could just open the gallery of the visited cache and get to see roughly the same photographs.

But I just wanted to express that to me the travelling by different persons is much more important than reaching a certain goal or destination even if this means fewer photos or even the loosing of the TB.

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, Hynz said:

But I just wanted to express that to me the travelling by different persons is much more important than reaching a certain goal or destination even if this means fewer photos or even the loosing of the TB.

The few TBs I’ve released have all had generic ‘travel far and wide’ goals, but if I did have a specific mission in mind, and just one person fulfilled that mission...

If I were in a race with other TBs, I guess I’d be quite happy for the help.

Otherwise, I’d probably appreciate the logs and photos but I’d be a little underwhelmed by completing the mission.

Edited by IceColdUK

So, there were photographs of the TB and not just photographs to show the countryside and urban areas it visited. They were not 'generic' photographs, as they were where it visited, not any old photograph that could have been anywhere, but real photographs of where I took the TB too. This is the sort of thing I take for my own holidays. Who wants just pictures of me.

+1

I take pictures of a TB at stops along the way, especially good are spots that seem to fit the theme of the TB, including places in town not necessarily at a cache container.  The TB is on a mini tour of the place, before I drop it into the next cache, which I do as soon as I can.

You know, pictures such as the place where the "Stranger Things" production crew parks their cars:

Untitled-dd1.jpg

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
12 hours ago, IceColdUK said:

in a race with other TBs

That reminded me of a car TB I picked up. It was racing another car to a MEGA, but as that was still a few months away I contacted the TB owner and asked if they wanted me to release the TB, or hang onto it and deliver it to the MEGA which I was also attending. They wanted me to hang onto it, so the TB travelled with me for months and then it won the race when I hand delivered it to the owner.

The first photograph showed the small car waiting with the big cars to board the ferry to Tasmania. (An earlier trip I took before the trip to the MEGA in SA.)

The second photograph shows the little car crossing the NSW/Victorian border, headed for SA (with a travel companion). That way the owner could see their little car was on the road headed towards the MEGA.

Zoom Zoom waiting to board 'Spirit of Tasmania' ferry.jpg

Crossing the NSW_Victorian border.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1