Put a travel bug in a new cache?

SkellyCA

First I created a cache page as a location holder. Submitted it so a reviewer could check the location. It's fine. He disabled the cache.

I purchased and activated a travel bug which is now in my inventory.

I put the travel bug in the cache and hid the cache this morning

I still need to work on the cache page before enabling it.

So how do I make the new travel bug show up in the cache's inventory?

• Helpful 1
23 minutes ago, SkellyCA said:

First I created a cache page as a location holder. Submitted it so a reviewer could check the location. It's fine. He disabled the cache.

I purchased and activated a travel bug which is now in my inventory.

I put the travel bug in the cache and hid the cache this morning

I still need to work on the cache page before enabling it.

So how do I make the new travel bug show up in the cache's inventory?

I'm guessing based on what you said that the TB will show in the cache's inventory after it's published?

There's an interesting thread going on about putting TBs in caches before they're published. Just fyi.

5 minutes ago, SkellyCA said:

It's not going to magically show up in the cache's inventory. There has to be a way for me to drop the bug in the cache. So it moves from my inventory to the cache's inventory. I don't see a way to do that. So maybe the cache needs to be published first?

When you post a log to a cache, you have the option drop any trackables in your inventory into the cache.

For reference, see the Help Center article Log a trackable

On 1/3/2019 at 9:43 AM, TeamRabbitRun said:
On 1/2/2019 at 5:44 PM, hukilaulau said:

Be aware that if you drop a trackable into a cache before it is published, someone can find the cache by locating the trackable.

What does that mean? You got a Trackable that puts out a homing signal or something?

Finding a not-yet-published cache based on Trackable inventory is discussed in another recent thread:  [BUG]: Trackables in unpublished caches

I'm not sure it happens often enough to be a priority for GS to put resources towards changing, but it is interesting and maybe more cachers will put more trackables on watchlists now that it's being discussed.  :ph34r:

17 hours ago, noncentric said:

Finding a not-yet-published cache based on Trackable inventory is discussed in another recent thread:  [BUG]: Trackables in unpublished caches

I'm not sure it happens often enough to be a priority for GS to put resources towards changing, but it is interesting and maybe more cachers will put more trackables on watchlists now that it's being discussed.  :ph34r:

Got it! Thanks for the reference.