Emojis, GPS receivers, and GPX files

Dr.MORO

51 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

I'm really not sure why anyone needs a GPS add-on these days. Your phone has a GPS receiver built in and it works well enough.

Something like an iPad.  The wifi versions do not have a GPS.

The other reason is for more accruacy due to WAAS/EGNOS.  For some reason none of the phones use the correction satellites.  It makes a substantial difference for caching.

24 minutes ago, Red90 said:

It makes a substantial difference for caching.

Theoretically, yes.  But if there is a difference, I couldn't detect it.  (I did a few side-by-side tests at a few caches, Garmin vs. new phone, and they both seemed equally helpful toward the task.)

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Upvote 1
18 hours ago, Harry Dolphin said:

Wouldn't it just be easier to ban emojis from cache names?

If there's that much of an issue with loading caches, sure.   We have limits with cacher names now...

- or as leprechauns says, on the ignore list works.  Loading caches manually, I keep 'em short anyway, so wouldn't be an problem.  

Has anyone emailed a CO and told them that emojis mess up their files?  You think they'd remove it if it makes them a nuisance (rather than "cute").   :)

1 hour ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Theoretically, yes.  But if there is a difference, I couldn't detect it.  (I did a few side-by-side tests at a few caches, Garmin vs. new phone, and they both seemed equally helpful toward the task.)

Your mileage may vary, of course.

In my personal experience....  It makes a substantial difference.

31 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

Caching with an iPad just seems... wrong? I know there are folks that do it, but really, you're taking an awful risk with a screen that big.

An ipad mini is pretty close to the size of some phones!

My response was more of a general response to why someone would want to buy an addon.  It was not specific to Geocaching.  A lot of people use an ipad for vehicle navigation and it fits that need well.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

I'm really not sure why anyone needs a GPS add-on these days. Your phone has a GPS receiver built in and it works well enough.

Well enough is a relative matter. For me it is not well enough. Ecpecially then I am hiding a cache in a woods I need correct coordinates.