Filling in Logs correctly

woody1952

Why is it that some people don't fill in the log in the right place?  Instead of putting their details in the next available slot, they write anywhere that is blank on the log, did 11 caches today and the same person had filled them all in in the wrong place.

It's very annoying and confusing for other people.

Try and get it right everybody.

• Funny 1

Logging in any kind of order doesn't really annoy me any. I have come across a few times on new caches, a FTF name at the back of the logbook or sheet. The people writing it there, attempting to mess with other FTFers by hiding their name. Not a big deal at all but still kinda goofy.

What annoys me a bit though, people writing real big and taking up a good portion of a small logbook or logsheet. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, woody1952 said:

Why is it that some people don't fill in the log in the right place?  Instead of putting their details in the next available slot, they write anywhere that is blank on the log, did 11 caches today and the same person had filled them all in in the wrong place.

Yesterday I signed way back in the log book where it felt less wet, just so I could get my name in the log.

There is no wrong place In the log to sign your name. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
4 hours ago, woody1952 said:

4 hours ago, woody1952 said:

The ones we saw today were not in date order and were upside down on the log!

Curious,  what's the "right" or "wrong" place ? 

The only confusion I'd see is if someone's looking for fake finds,  and goes only by dates to match everything with online. 

Depending on how some may re-roll the log, it might have signatures on both sides (w/o one side filled).  :)

It may have been "upside down" for you, but that person may simply have signed it the way presented.

When folks used to use stickers here (fluttering all around the area when opening...), large sections of the log was a "blank space" that wouldn't be filled in.

I don't completely unroll a log,  only just to (what I see as...) the last signature.  There's a space, I missed it.

I write on the back-side of log books too.  Sometimes dates don't match.  They seem to be left blank by everyone else...

There's a couple "team accounts" we've seen that have all members names in the log (in the middle),  though only one or two place them.

Edited by cerberus1
spllelling

I don't run into this problem very often. It sounds like you were just following someone with an odd habit. Don't let it get you down. As other responders have mentioned, there are legitimate reasons for violating strict order, but I don't think you're talking about those cases. But, still, keep those other cases in mind and try to encourage people to log in order when they can instead of complaining when they don't. I noticed this more when I was first starting, so you might find it becomes less and less important to you as time goes on and you find your own reasons to not always follow the rule strictly.

A few weeks ago, when finding three "Geo-Art" series, I signed our team name in on blank spots around the prior group's rubber stamp, which took up tons of room on a micro log.  I saved space and thus did the CO a maintenance favor.

Yesterday, I bushwacked across a swamp to find a cache where the prior finder had left the lid off.  The log was soaked.  If I lifted the pages to find the most recent signatures, the log would disintegrate.  So, I signed on the exposed paper, carefully placed the lid back on, and notified the CO of the issue I encountered. 

I have signed micro and nano logs sideways when all the lines are full.  I've signed logs upside down when it's pouring down rain and I don't want to rearrange the papers, lest they get wet.

Please don't tell me that there's a "right way" to scribble "Leprechaun" on a piece of paper.

• Upvote 3
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1