Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
SniperTrifle

Download GPX

When I press on a cache on the map on the website and it comes up with the small 'preview' of the cache with the d/t ratings, placed date etc it also (as you know) says download GPX. When I press this it does not do anything at all, so I have to go on to the cache page and do it, this takes a long time when downloading a lot of caches. Does anyone have a better and quicker way to download bulk GPX files onto a Garmin GPS Etrex 10? Thanks.

10 minutes ago, SniperTrifle said:

When I press on a cache on the map on the website and it comes up with the small 'preview' of the cache with the d/t ratings, placed date etc it also (as you know) says download GPX. When I press this it does not do anything at all, so I have to go on to the cache page and do it, this takes a long time when downloading a lot of caches. Does anyone have a better and quicker way to download bulk GPX files onto a Garmin GPS Etrex 10? Thanks.

Make Lists or Pocket Queries (or some of each), and send files full of caches at once.  You must pay attention to strict storage limits of an Etrex 10, but it can work.

If you tell us which operating system and web browser you use where have trouble with the map link, maybe someone has a solution for that.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, kunarion said:

Make Lists or Pocket Queries (or some of each), and send files full of caches at once.  You must pay attention to strict storage limits of an Etrex 10, but it can work.

If you tell us which operating system and web browser you use where have trouble with the map link, maybe someone has a solution for that.

when I download pocket queries or lists I get .loc files which are not compatible with my gps

4 minutes ago, SniperTrifle said:

I get .loc files which are not compatible with my gps

The .loc files are just a preview which is (as you noted yourself) useless for your Garmin unit. You actually should download the PQ file, unzip the file and copy the gpx files over to your unit.

Hans

• Helpful 1

16 minutes ago, SniperTrifle said:

when I download pocket queries or lists I get .loc files which are not compatible with my gps

Don't do that. B)

Everything about Lists can be found by digging around in a couple of pages starting here: https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=138&pgid=827

Unfortunately. Geocaching.com has removed the useful and specific steps on how to create and use a Pocket Query (thanks a heap, Geocaching.com!).

So here are the highlights.  If there's a point that's confusing, I can expand on it, but bear in mind, I have to create the steps from scratch now. :ph34r:

Go to the Pocket Query page:  https://www.geocaching.com/pocket/

Make a Pocket Query, preview it to be sure it's what you want.
Select a day for it to run (such as today).
Wait a while.
Click the Pocket Queries Ready for Download tab, download the file.  It's a Zip file.
Unzip it, typically into two GPX files.  One has caches the other has waypoints.
Place these files into Garmin/GPX on the Garmin GPS.
Go caching!

1 hour ago, SniperTrifle said:

When I press on a cache

Where did your topic on how to download caches near you go?

2 hours ago, SniperTrifle said:

sorry did you have a solution

i deleted it

Yes, since you replied:

that worked thanks

Thanks for deleting the help given to you. :wacko:

Won't happen again.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

5 hours ago, SniperTrifle said:

i deleted it

And that, boys and girls, is something WRONG with the Forum oversight.  A question was answered that may be helpful to many people, but has vanished into the ether because the OP deleted his question. SMH

• Helpful 2

5 hours ago, SniperTrifle said:

i deleted it

Why?  One of the best thing about forums is being able to get answers from questions other people have asked, especially the ones I haven't thought of asking myself.  The forums were a much better place before all this deleting was allowed.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1

I am sorry for deleting something. I didn't know it was such a big deal. I just wanted to lower my usual rate of a million geocaching emails.

2 minutes ago, SniperTrifle said:

I am sorry for deleting something. I didn't know it was such a big deal. I just wanted to lower my usual rate of a million geocaching emails.

Unless you are following a thread, you don't get any emails from it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1